Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the Redskins get worse in 2011?

Bootleg

Let's assume there's some eleventh hour deal where the CBA gets worked out.

Can the Redskins possibly be worse in 2011?

Call me crazy, but it looks like the Redskins can only go up from here.

1. Strength of Schedule isn't very reliable due to parity, but the Redskins currently have the 27th easiest schedule in 2011.

2. What position group could possibly get worse? OL already sucks, QB already sucks, WR is already mediocre, RB already sucks, DL already sucks, LB is already mediocre. Only the DB position group could get worse.

I smell playoffs.

Well seeing how the Skins won 6 games last year, there's definitely a chance we can get worse. After all it's not like we're the '08 Lions who went 0-16, where they couldn't get worse.

I still think it's going to be another tough year, since we don't have a QB on the roster that either Shanahan trusts, and even if Rex re-signs I don't see the Skins being any better than an 8-8 team, especially with all of the holes on both sides of the ball.

Can the Redskins possibly be worse in 2011?

Can they? Sure, anything's possible. Will they? More than likely, not.

OL already sucks,

Williams doesn't suck, is going to get better. Lich doesn't suck. He's servicable at G. Very replacable, but not a suck. Rabach sucks. Monty is a decent guard. Brown is a great tackle, hope he comes back.

QB already sucks,

Nah, McNabb and Grossman don't suck. They're definitely not pro bowlers, but they haven't hit the Alex Smith/Chad Henne/Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jake Delhomme level.

WR is already mediocre,

A lot of that had to do with Roydell and Joey G. Now that they're gone, with a healthy Malcolm Kelly, and whatever FA we bring in, I would elevate our WRs to good.

RB already sucks,

You're kidding, right? Torain is a great back, especially in our system. Williams is a reliable back. James Davis even had some good plays. RB is our offense's strength right now.

DL already sucks,

Anthony Bryant looked very promising in the three games he started. He is definitely staying, and could be starting next year. Carriker doesn't suck, he'll be a starter next year, and started coming on and being a force at DE.

LB is already mediocre

Rak is good, about to be great/elite. Fletch is good in the 3-4. Rocky's not ideal, but a stopgap anyway, and possibly a servicable backup. One Man Gang is coming back at least as depth, and is very reliable. That being said, we'll probably have two new starters next year at the LBs, but we'll have decent/good depth guys.

I smell playoffs.

That might be a little bit of a stretch. We'll probably be right around 8-8, 9-7. I expect playoffs in two years.

The favorable schedule says :fortune: "NO"

This is however our beloved Skins so we've seen it all before. I do think year two under Shanny will be better all-around, even if the record doesn't reflect it. Players will be more comfortable, more kinks will get worked out in the 34D, and some upgrades at C/WR/OL/DL/LB/FS which can all be accomplished pending a new CBA and the draft will help increase this teams ability to sustain drives on offense and force more 3-outs and TO's on D.

This optimism is all based on smart acquisitions and draft choices being made this offseason, but it's not far-fetched to believe this team can finish above .500 on the year and possibly sneak into the playoffs with help from the schedule.

As a fan of 29 yrs, I will always keep my skepticism button close to my side...but my eternal optimist won't let me hit it as often as I'd like.

You're kidding, right? Torain is a great back, especially in our system. Williams is a reliable back. James Davis even had some good plays. RB is our offense's strength right now.

What?? Torain is not a great back. he is pretty good, and should be a 1-2 punch but great? not even close. plus he cant stay healthy.

Williams isnt anything impressive, you find RBs like him all the time. RB is nooot a strength, we have half of a starter spot locked down. im not saying we should draft one early (unless ryan williams but im a homer) but RB is definetly not a strong point.

A lot of that had to do with Roydell and Joey G. Now that they're gone, with a healthy Malcolm Kelly, and whatever FA we bring in, I would elevate our WRs to good.

I love malcolm kelly but at this point he is a big questionmark. Moss is a FA, so we are down to Armstrong as #1. oh c'mooon mediocre is being nice, especially since moss is FA and we dont know who we're going to get.

What?? Torain is not a great back. he is pretty good, and should be a 1-2 punch but great? not even close. plus he cant stay healthy.

Keiland Williams isnt anything impressive, you find RBs like him all the time. RB is nooot a strength, we have half of a starter spot locked down. im not saying we should draft one early (unless ryan williams but im a homer) but RB is definetly not a strong point.

I'm a huge VT homer too, and would love Ryan Williams if the team can spare the pick in the 2nd round. I think him coupled with ATV would be a great 2 back tandem pending ATV's health. He looked awesome the last month of the season when they stuck with the run. I downloaded the Tampa game just to watch it over and over...haven't had a running-game clinic like that from the Skins in a long time...and on a soggy field at that.

That being said, if RW#34 is available in the 2nd when we pick and other needs have been addressed prior to the draft I say pull the trigger.

Anthony Bryant looked very promising in the three games he started. He is definitely staying, and could be starting next year. Carriker doesn't suck, he'll be a starter next year, and started coming on and being a force at DE.

Rak is good, about to be great/elite. Fletch is good in the 3-4. Rocky's not ideal, but a stopgap anyway, and possibly a servicable backup. One Man Gang is coming back at least as depth, and is very reliable. That being said, we'll probably have two new starters next year at the LBs, but we'll have decent/good depth guys.

I think you're a little overly optimistic. Torain had a great HALF of a game. Other than that he was above average with injury issues. Williams is serviceable but ultimately a guy that will probably be replaced if we want to compete. I like the potential of James Davis but he hasn't shown a thing. If RB is our strength on O I'm worried right now. I'd say it's WR/TE as a group.

Carriker is solid but was never a force last season. Bryant has shown some potential but has done nothing to lock down a starting spot. I'm looking forward to seeing him take a step forward in 2011 but he has done nothing to even cement a roster spot on a good defense (which we clearly don't have).

To play devil's advocate you could say Rak is good, about to be mediocre. He took a step back this season and seemed to be more productive with his hand in the dirt. If we can't figure out some pass rush moves (he doesn't have any) he is going to continue to get no-call holds all game. Now again, this is just devil's advocate. I like Orakpo a lot. Fletcher is good but at his age you have to wonder when his play is going to drop off. McIntosh is not under contract and we don't have another player who actually fits at OLB. Maybe Zo can shift inside if he continues to shed weight and add some agility.

We could definitely be worse next season. A lot worse. Just look at the Cowboys, they added to an already talented roster and managed to fall apart. Most likely however we will be a lot better talent wise which may or may not translate to more wins. I'm looking to see progress on the field in 2011, but I'm not concerned with the W-L column untill 2012. We have a lot of work to do.

Ryan Torain had 742 yards rushing this year with 10 games played and 8 games started. He would of been a lock for 1,000+ yard year. I think he is better than, "pretty good". If he can stay healthy like we all hope he will be a great asset for us.

I feel similarly, I think we are in for a stagnant year, and frankly, if it looks that way, SHanahan needs to bring Snyder and Allen in and let them know what he thinks. I think we win maybe 4 games this year, assuming there is a season. But maybe that sets us up for some good draft picks in 12.

Assuming there IS a 2011 season, I'm optimistic that the Skins will improve rather than slide back.

The Skins FO will probably find some players more suited to the systems Shanahan & Co. have put in place. The Skins have a first and second rounder who might be able to step in to contribute. The offensive line has had a full year of ZBS experience. The Skins have a nucleus of adequate RBs able to support any new infusion of talent the Skins bring in at RB, -- and Shanahan has a good track record in developing RBS.

Defensively, the Skins have a good sense of what areas that need help, and who -- even after a full year of the new system-- won't work in that system. Considering all of 2010's collection of players and how so many didn't fit the 3-4 .. it shouldn't be hard to new and better fitting personnel -- that should create some improvement from this year's dismal ranking.

Most importantly, the Skins seem to have completed their internal transition into a well-ordered hierarchy, one in where Shanahan and the coaches can run the team, and players won't be too quick to challenge their authority. I can't help but feel that better buy--in from the players and team cohesiveness under a recognized leader is a big improvement.

The Ceratto/Zorn era hangover is gone, and maybe that equates to better practices, which in turn could lead to more wins on Sunday

Can they? Sure, anything's possible. Will they? More than likely, not.

I agree here.

Williams doesn't suck, is going to get better. Lich doesn't suck. He's servicable at G. Very replacable, but not a suck. Rabach sucks. Monty is a decent guard. Brown is a great tackle, hope he comes back.

There's a major question mark on Lichtensteiger. There were times where he was a revolving door and times where he was serviceable. If he starts the season as one of our two starting guards, I think we have a glaring issue. I agree with Monty. Brown is not a "great" tackle. He could be once he heals up, but he's not there quite yet. And I don't believe he's been extended, either.

Nah, McNabb and Grossman don't suck. They're definitely not pro bowlers, but they haven't hit the Alex Smith/Chad Henne/Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jake Delhomme level.

Not sure why you included Ryan Fitzpatrick in your analysis here. McNabb was FAR worse than Fitzpatrick this past season.

Let's look at all of the guys you listed statistically (excluding Delhomme because he didn't play much):

Henne: 61.4%, 3,301 yards, .78:1 TD to INT ratio

Alex Smith: 59.6%, 2,370 yards, 1.4 TD to INT ratio

Fitzpatrick: 57.8%, 3000 yards, 1.53 TD to INT ratio

McNabb: 58.3%, 3,377 yards, .93 TD to INT ratio

I'd argue that Henne had a better overall supporting cast than McNabb and his numbers are similar. However, McNabb was probably better, but not overwhelmingly and probably in the same "level" as Henne.

Alex Smith had a far superior TD to INT ratio and he threw 130 less passes than McNabb. I'd argue that statistically, Smith had a better season.

Fitzpatrick blew away McNabb's season. He had a much worse supporting cast and still put up better overall numbers. McNabb, this year, wasn't in the same league as Fitzpatrick.

Other quarterbacks who had a better season than McNabb in my opinion include: Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, and Kyle Orton. Then include the obvious guys: Manning, Manning, Schaub, Brees, Brady, Cassel, Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Vick, and Garrard.

That's at least 20 guys who were better than McNabb. I'd say McNabb fits in the group you listed moreso than some of the names you actually listed besides Henne, who is in the same group and Delhomme who is worse.

I wouldn't quite yet. We don't know what Malcolm Kelly can do. being optimistic, I'd agree with you. But our sample size shows Kelly is always injured and his time on the field hasn't shown enough to warrant that much enthusiasm on the subject. We also can't bring in an FA with a lockout. And you're assuming we do ink someone if there's not. A ton of variables there. I'd agree with your premise that IF Kelly is healthy and IF we bring in an FA we should be better, but we know that's not always the case.

Based on success and fail rates per carry, Torain is an average back. What I like about Torain is his ability to run hard and through tackles, but he doesn't get the necessary yardage all the time. He fails more than he succeeds. The nice thing about him, though, is that when he has a big run he has a big run. Williams was more reliable through success/fail rate, but I think he's a third down back. A serviceable one at that, though. James Davis didn't show much of anything, again, I'm sensing your basing your opinion on optimism more than reality... Though I don't fault you for that. I'm hoping he works out as well.

I agree on this point all the way around.

I disagree on Rak. Rak is a good/great pass rusher... For sure. As an outside linebacker he's still learning and leaves a lot to be desired. I believe he has the work ethic and mental capacity to improve tenfold. But he's not there yet.

London Fletcher is London Fletcher. His only issue is he's not getting younger. Then again, I'd take an aging London over most younger backers not named Beason or Willis.

Rocky will be a free agent once the lockout passes.

Our other outside backer spot is downright scary.

That might be a little bit of a stretch. We'll probably be right around 8-8, 9-7. I expect playoffs in two years.

I'll wait to make predictions until our roster/season begins to shape. But as of now I say we fall between the 6-10 and 9-7 range. Probably more towards 7-9. But it's not really possible to know right now.

Can we get worse??? We have the potential to be the worst team in the league next year. Which leads me to ask this question. If we draft Locker in the 1st and let him or Grossman start for 16 games we will most likely be the worst team in the league. Question is do we still draft Andrew Luck with Jake Locker/Cam Newton already on the roster???

Can we get worse??? We have the potential to be the worst team in the league next year. Which leads me to ask this question. If we draft Locker in the 1st and let him or Grossman start for 16 games we will most likely be the worst team in the league. Question is do we still draft Andrew Luck with Jake Locker/Cam Newton already on the roster???

We aint THAT bad..... We beat the packers, beat the bears, went blow for blow with the Colts. We have something substantial to build around. We are a decent football team going into next year. We have a LOT of holes, but so do all teams. We are moving in the right direction though.

If getting worse in 2011 means getting better the proper way in 2012, then sign me up. 2011 was supposed to be our year of Vinny detox. A year in which we'd settle for another horrid season because we knew how much work had to be done around here.

But then we started trading picks bc we thought we were close; just like always. Now we're still starting over again a year later with less draft picks. It's gonna be a long haul folks, but I don't want any coaches fired after 2011. Even if we're 4-12. This project must get to year three, no matter how bad we are in year 2.

Yes we can get "worse"....if your going to turn this around from a team barely competing to a contender it starts at the QB position and works its way down. We need to get the future QB in the fold and stop trying to take other people's "treasures" and think it's going to work for us here. The McNabbs, the Becks, the Grossmans are fine for a single or two year "just to get your guy ready" type of player but unless you have a dominant team like the Ravens defense or the Tampa Defense from the early 2000's you'll never ride those players to a championship. So you either build that Defense over several years to compensate which we didn't do and are at least 4 years from that with perfect execution or you draft that Franchise QB now and put the pieces around him this and next year and compete in 2 years when he's ready to start. I expect next year based on what we do this offseason and especially draft to be "worse" then this year

Archived