Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the Redskins get worse in 2011?

Bootleg

I'm sensing your basing your opinion on optimism more than reality... Though I don't fault you for that. I'm hoping he works out as well.

I'll wait to make predictions until our roster/season begins to shape. But as of now I say we fall between the 6-10 and 9-7 range. Probably more towards 7-9. But it's not really possible to know right now.

Yeah, I was leaning on the optimistic side of things. Given that this is the Redskins, I don't know why I did/do that, I guess I just am hoping that we get back to the good old days faster than I know we will.

I tend to shy away from predictions, too, but I gave in to temptation and made one :(

Yes, if we draft Cam.

This is true.

Additionally, a significant part of our failure has to do with bad luck (yes, I know there have been more than a few moments of incompetence, but it's not fair to say that the 'Skins have brought all of their troubles on themselves; luck has played a major part in their performance for the past 19 years). It's about damn time that this unlucky streak ends, so I'll be optimistic and say that we won't do worst next year. I see an 8-8 record in our immediate future.

Can we get worse??? We have the potential to be the worst team in the league next year. Which leads me to ask this question. If we draft Locker in the 1st and let him or Grossman start for 16 games we will most likely be the worst team in the league. Question is do we still draft Andrew Luck with Jake Locker/Cam Newton already on the roster???

I'd say you still take Luck other than in the case of one of these exceptions a) Eli Manning esque trade package or B) An equal or better prospect at another position of need is available after Locker/Newton has shown promise. I would love to have the problem the Chargers faced with which franchise QB to keep. Unless Newton/Locker totally tanked they should still be young enough to garner high compensation via trade.

We have a tone of holes and I'm a proponent of the "build the team then get a QB" strategy but it's a QB's league. I would have no problem spending two high first round picks if it means getting a top 3 QB in the league. Of course if we missed on both we would be in much worse shape than before.

I love the kool aid in this thread. of corse we can get worse. We're an old team with little to no depth. What happens if we suffer injuries? What happens if we can't score more that 15 points next year? What happens if we still can't stop anybody? What happens if we fire Kyle or Haslett mid season? The offseason has barely started and people are already making record predictions for next year? C'mon.

Id be shocked if we worse next year.

Offensive Line - I see the offensive line being considerably better with Trent getting an entire off-season of work in, knowing the system etc, we are going to get some decent free agents as well. I expect that our offensive line will be better and honestly I can't see any scenario by which it is worse. Undoubtedly we will have a better center and minimally an upgrade at one of the guards. I expect Brown to be fully healthy for the first time in two years as well. We get Davin Joseph and Kahlil and I think our oline will ultimately be a strength of our organization in just two years under the shannallen regime.

Our QB play wasn't great this year (understatement of the year). But I can't see a scenario where it gets worse. We either get a strong young Qb at #10 who sits behind rex until he is ready in which case, Rex won't get worse, and the kid will likely be an upgrade when he finally gets in. (I suppose we could have "growing pains" with the kid but that's just par for the course and again, how much worse can he be then grossman? There's a remote scenario where the skins are playing everyone and Mcnabb stays but its highly unlikely. If it happened, another year in the system would only make Mcnabb better, not worse.

WR -Our recieving corps has to improve doesn't it? Armstrong gets an entire off-season. Moss is Moss and I don't expect any appreciable drop-off and I have every reason to believe a FA or high draft pick will be a legitimate #1. We should improve at WR (mostly because it really would be difficult for that position to get worse for us). Dare I say Malcom Kelley may actually make it to the field which would be nothing but a bonus for this unit. Add a Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice, Chad Johnson, etc and we are seriously upgraded immediately.

RB - Portis returns healthy and he and Torraine are a decent tandum. Certainly better than Torraine/Williams. If for some reason portis doesn't return I'd expect a FA like deangelo williams or some late rounder to surprise us all. Shanny history says the running game will improve this year. Absolute worse case scenario, and upgrade at o-line and another year and off-season in the system with Torraine and Williams says they can't get worse, only better.

TE- Don't look now, but we are actually strong at this position. I suppose there are scenarios where we'd trade cooley but if so, I'd expect good value that would upgrade another real position of need and it would mean they believe Davis is the real deal as a recieving TE and Logan Paulsen had some real flashes this year.

Nose Tackle - settling Haynesworth, settles the whole defensive unit. Period. Add the fact that Bryant looks more than serviceable and we will likely add a legit FA here and i think the nose position will be upgraded considerably from the 2010 campaign of an injured Kemo and a pouting haynesworth.

DE - Daniels may still have a role in the rotation. Carriker showed he is serviceable. I'd like to see a Cullen Jenkins or similar FA acquisition here and if it happens, the front three will be upgraded.

LB - Orakpo should continue to grow as a premier pass rusher. Add some strength up front and a legit bookend OLB and he will be what he is destined to be in the attacking 3-4 defense. That brings us to Woodley from Pitt or Halil from KC who would instantly make us dangerous on the outside. Its Perry Riley's time to step up in the middle next to perrenial stud London Fletcher. Lorenzo alexander and Chris Wilson will have strong years I believe as the Andre Carter era ends one year later than it should have. This unit will be an upgrade and unless Rocky Mcintosh was deceptively way better than he appears on film in this defense.

Secondary - A healthy landry is obviously key. Hall wll have the same year he always has so its a push. We either lock up rogers in which case we have almost the same corners or we get Asouma or another FA. Either way, I can't envision a drop off in the secondary. If anything, we find a real FS and finally put the tragedy of Sean Taylor behind us (on the field anyway) and the unit actually improves. The second round draft pick in my opinion should be a free safety unless you think a Dalton or similar QB could be taken in the second round and we use the #10 pick on a FS. I think its a HUGE need. I could even be persuaded to bring Champ Bailey back in this spot. Add in another year for Kevin Barnes and I think the secondary is an upgrade and certainly not worse. In my opinion, the key is replacing or locking in Carlos and ending the Doughty/Moore experiment in the deep backfield.

Kicker/Punter- It literally cannot get worse. We have to have the worst kicker in the league. He either improves or is replaced. He can't get worse or he's gone and anyone we would replace him with couldn't fail worse than he did in 2010.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 07:05 PM ----------

I love the kool aid in this thread. of corse we can get worse. We're an old team with little to no depth. What happens if we suffer injuries? What happens if we can't score more that 15 points next year? What happens if we still can't stop anybody? What happens if we fire Kyle or Haslett mid season? The offseason has barely started and people are already making record predictions for next year? C'mon.

Sure, anything could happen. Rothelsberger could have a career ending injury in the superbowl, they lose woodley and have a superbowl hangover and are 8-8 next year. We are talking about reasonable expectations. I can't say there is a reasonable expectation that this team will be worse than it was this year. It was treating an eleven year cancer of piss poor culture this year while installing new systems in all phases of the game. You could keep the exact same players and they'd be better next year. As it is, they have over $130 mil under the cap, the richest free agent class in decades and a team one year further into the same system under a hall of fame coach. Its unreasonable to expect us to regress this year.

It's really not a question of can we, it's more if we'll be allowed to be. We could do the usual and gobble up several high priced free agents and perhaps trade away a couple of draft picks and get the team to 8-8 with grossman or another downwards looking veteran, or we could instead rebuild for a year, get younger and likely go 3-13.

It's really not a question of can we, it's more if we'll be allowed to be. We could do the usual and gobble up several high priced free agents and perhaps trade away a couple of draft picks and get the team to 8-8 with grossman or another downwards looking veteran, or we could instead rebuild for a year, get younger and likely go 3-13.

So you're saying its impossible for us to invest in FA intelligently, actually use our own draft picks (or trade for more), and do better than 6-10? You think if we do it "right" it can only get worse in year 2, and that we have to mortgage the future and build the team the "wrong" way to actually improve our record? I don't believe that at all.

Good offseason topic finally.

Way I see it we have to get better all over the board but there are a few positions available that can drive the teams success in one way or another. Bottom line is getting some guys in here via FA or draft who can contribute immediately, I am thinking mainly offensive skill positions with FA and building the blue collar positions via the draft is the way to go. That way we have a core in place for when our blue collar types pan out if / when the FA guys dont.

If I were Shanny I would spend the first 3 picks getting draft picks who can grow as future HOF Redskins such as OL/DL/LB and work FA with some high price skill position names who are available, if we could get a big time HB and WR in here via FA we could potentially be decent enough to risk drafting a QB but assuming we arent a big ticket FA landing place its better to sign some vet FA skill positions to keep us competitive in building for 2014.

I would not put so much stock in an easier schedule or better record. We will still have a hell of a time pulling ahead of any of our divisional rivals. Consider all three have pro-bowl QBs (Eli, Romo sits to pee, Vick) and we will have a new starting QB. All three have better defensive lines than us. The question is not will we be able to improve our record, but will we be able to change our standing as the fourth place team in the division. Probably not in one season. Worse? Oh, we will probably stay about the same until we get better QB production and better QB supporting cast.

more kinks will get worked out in the 34D,
I'm sorry, but this is the last thing that I'm reading before I go to bed because I'm exhausted. And this is ALL that I see.

I can't go to bed with a better mental picture. Thanks! :)

You're welcome! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say something :ols:

It all depends on the offense, but I think at best we could be 10-6 next year. At worse we could be 5-11 or worse.

Haslett is an average to poor coach and I can't see the defense getting much better than it was early last year. It's a unit that can win some games, lose some games, and not help or hurt in the others. I'm not confident a NG and a couple of LBs (unless they are Landry/Orakpo caliber athletes) would make a big difference in a defense coached by Haslett.

Offense could get a lot better but I'm not sure the oline can support the growth. They've showed signs last year and this is the only unit that could be substantially better next year. In an ideal world, we would stick with Rex/McNabb and a young QB to have on the bench for a few years.

Archived