Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you decide what you wanted to do with your life?

Slateman

work... is like, work.

the point is, don't over emphasize "your calling", particularly if you really don't have one. Get a job that you don't hate, with people that you enjoy being with--- but don't expect nirvana bliss from work, because it is VERY rare (otherwise you wouldn't have to be paid handsomely to do it).

This here is gold. It is so true, not everyone can have a job they love. Matter of fat, very few do. If we all followed our "calling" then there would be nobody to do the dirty work.

Get a job, go to work, get paid, come home and spend your money. It's life. It sucks. But that's just how it is. Spend your off hours doing things you love. Smoke bud, watch sports, go get wasted at the local bar and try to pick up chicks. Then go back to work on Monday.

I decided I wanted to get a job and earn money so I could live comfortably and have a family.

I'm coming to this line of thinking.

I went to school for what I was passionate about. What you're passionate about at 18-21 isn't necessarily what you'll be passionate about all your life. Now at 32, I'm really into my family and my coaching (soccer). Not that it's the case with zoony, my career is a secondary concern right now. It pays the bills and gives me a lot of time to spend with my family while my daughter is young and to get away for coaching when I need to.

I'm looking at grad school right now, but it's more financially motivated than passion. Maybe I'm passionate about providing for my family?

I didn't really decide, consciously, which looking back on it now makes me feel pretty lucky. As in, its nice not to have to think about it too much and worry.

In my case, I just watched what my parents did, and I did the same thing. They both went to college, got desk jobs, had kids, worked 40 years, and retired. Without really thinking too much about it, I'm tracking on the same path. I went to school, and afterwards was looking for work in the federal government (where both of my parents were civil servants). Long story short, I fell backwards in to a tech job (it was 1995) and have been working in the tech field ever since. I don't necessarily think however that the job matters much to me either way -- I could be happy doing all sorts of stuff. I don't really require a love of work for self satisfaction. The job is an acceptable means to an end for me, and that end is: an honest living, family, kids, and free time to enjoy my hobbies and eventually retirement.

I hope my kids learn the same thing from watching me go to work every day.

i agree that unless you can't stand what you're doing, as long as it pays the bills and allows you to enjoy life, just keep doing it. Go to work, put in your 8 hours, and go home.

My job has very little to do with who I am, and outside of 1 person that i talk to outside of the office, i leave my ENTIRE work life at the door @ 4pm.....

Being indecisive isn't really a bad thing. Just within the course of my major (Biology) I've shifted from pre-med, to molecular biology research and now I'm planning to apply at Forensic Biology masters programs. :ols:

I'm not really sure where this will take me but I guess that's the beauty of life (I know I most likely won't be saying this if I fall flat on my face after getting my masters lol). I always enjoyed the anatomical aspect of Biology more than the physiological so I chose Forensics where anatomy and molecular biology have a pretty good mix. I saw my cousins struggles in medical school and decided that I could never see myself going through what they are.

Pursue what you like but what others are saying is true, you may not always find what you like to do but you can use your job as a way to pay for things you enjoy. In the ideal world I would have loved to work in a sports or music related field but I know the chances of that happening were slim.

I've changed careers several times. Spent four years in the Navy, then spent a year at Sprint slingin cell phone, another year selling Commodities, then finally settled in the Mortgage Business which lasted 10 years.

When the mortgage business went belly up and my pipeline crashed and burned I hopped on over here to GoDaddy.com and got a job selling hosting and domains, been doing this for a few years now while selling insurance and providing financial advise as a side business.

Point being don't worry too much about what you want to do, it may change a few times before you are 40 years old. Another thing to keep in mind is that the prime earning years for MEN is age 45-55. You have some time to figure it out until then. By that time most men are settled in a career that they are happy with and are able to devote the time and effort into making it profitable.

one day while I was in prison and just thought that God hated me. Then I met this priest (he was in the cell next to mine). And he convinced me that what happened to me wasn't just pure coincidence, but I had been set up by people who I thought were my friends. Since that day, my every action has been devoted towards planning out and executing a beautiful revenge.

Sounds good, Edmund.

In the long run, it may be better for someone to figure things out as they go. I've always ben irritated at those who seemed to have a plan since brith.

I chose my field based on what I liked in high school. I was a science geek...loved it..and still do. So when I joined the Navy back in my other life, I chose hospital corpsman. I've been in the medical field every since..28 years now and I love it. It has it's bad moments but it pays pretty well and it's steady work. I'm currently an rad tech in an outpatient clinic..no nights, no weekends and most holidays (not as many as the gov't gets but most major ones).

I've always ben irritated at those who seemed to have a plan since brith.

Truth.

So annoying I mean plans always change. There are no guarantees. I'm sure Countrywide planned a long existence of carving up home loans and selling them for huge profit. So much for that plan:ols:

Regardless of what you pick to do to pay bills in the meantime, best advice I can give is think deep down in your heart what it is that you geniuenly love to do, and find a way to make money doing it. If it means you have to go to school, do it, but nothing matters not even money, if you aren't happy. And don't apologize, it's your life...

I've been passionate about Marine Biology and Biology my entire life. I just graduated ODU with my Biology degree and work 14 hours a week for 7.75 an hour at a watch kiosk in a mall.. I have yet to find "my calling"... but I need to find it fast because I can only pay Feb rent :P

I've been passionate about Marine Biology and Biology my entire life. I just graduated ODU with my Biology degree and work 14 hours a week for 7.75 an hour at a watch kiosk in a mall.. I have yet to find "my calling"... but I need to find it fast because I can only pay Feb rent :P

Do you know Huly's friend Flipper?? Get Huly to get you in touch with her. She could probably give you lots of insight on getting into what you want in that field in the real world.

Do you know Huly's friend Flipper?? Get Huly to get you in touch with her. She could probably give you lots of insight on getting into what you want in that field in the real world.

if "Flipper" is the one who works for NOAA, yes I have met her a few times at games and have e-mailed a few times. My best bet for any federal job without a masters degree is an internship.

if "Flipper" is the one who works for NOAA, yes I have met her a few times at games and have e-mailed a few times. My best bet for any federal job without a masters degree is an internship.

Not sure where she actually works. I was a little tipsy at a tailgate and Huly told me she was a Marine Biologist and I nicknamed her Flipper. So I just always remember what her career is now.

Started out doing what I was passionate about but sucked hard at it. Took a look at what I was good at and pursued it even though I don't really like it.

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

This here is gold. It is so true, not everyone can have a job they love. Matter of fat, very few do. If we all followed our "calling" then there would be nobody to do the dirty work.

Get a job, go to work, get paid, come home and spend your money. It's life. It sucks. But that's just how it is. Spend your off hours doing things you love. Smoke bud, watch sports, go get wasted at the local bar and try to pick up chicks. Then go back to work on Monday.

Thing to remember is that the best paid work is the work that society most values (societies values is more a sum of our actions not our what we say we would like to be true or some politician/"leaders" claims). Now, some of us are lucky and what we are most passionate about is also something society values (or a large enough segment does) while our skills are good enough to support our individual desires/values. Some just have enough skills to do something valuable that affords us a solid income. Most of us can just find work that supports us at the minimum. Some of us can't even find that. A few are just delusional but are pretty much those who see reality and can't rationalize out of it (so this group either becomes depressed or creates an alternate universe).

Not sure where she actually works. I was a little tipsy at a tailgate and Huly told me she was a Marine Biologist and I nicknamed her Flipper. So I just always remember what her career is now.

Hahah yes, I have met her a few times

I am getting out of the Marine Corps in about 5 or 6 months and I have no idea what to do for work.

All I know is what I don' t want to do. I don't want to re-enlist. I don't really want to work private security. I don't want to leave the United States.

But beyond that, I have no idea what I want to do or even how to look. :( I haven't been this frustrated and down in a long time. I feel almost helpless. Every time I try to get started, I just get distracted or stop for no reason. It took me an entire weekend to type out a one and a half page resume. I used to bang out 10 page papers in a night back in college.

So how did you decide?

One thing my brother laments to this day is that he did not stay in the Service after only 4 years with the Navy (he would have been retired by now). He hated his job too at the time. That said have you looked at the other services? Don't want to leave the country? Coast Guard?

Was watching Warren Buffet address the MBA class at U of FL a few years back yesterday... he said something that was very poignant. He said he was merely fortunate that he was born at a time and place where his skill set was highly valued. That he'd be worthless as a caveman and probably be Sabre Tooth tiger chow.

Most people offer the advice of do what you love, but that is stupid. I loved playing ILB in HS football, but now at almost 33, 5'8",out of shape and with very limited athletic ability, no one is calling me to try out for an NFL team. I also love building and architecture, but am a crappy artist. You could beat yourself up pretty bad working in an industry you love, but at a job you are not cut out for.

So what's my advice? find out what you are good at and apply it to what you love. I work as an estimator for a construction company, a job I had no idea existed until I got to university, which takes my passion of design and construction, and combines it with my math and problem solving skills.

Another piece of advise is if you find an industry you think you might want to join, call up the big companies in that field and ask to speak to the HR person. Try and find out what type of jobs positions they have, what minimum qualifications are required and what actual qualifications do the employees have.

I don't know if I'm a good person to respond, but I will.

I'm not big into my career. My job (and it's a solid, high-paying one) is just that. I'm a government contractor so I'm not doing anything I'm passionate about. But it pays the bills. The reason I'm responding is because my job affords me the opportunity to do what I "wanted to do with my life" which is raise a family.

I decided I wanted to get a job and earn money so I could live comfortably and have a family.

Seems to be a split in opinions on how to approach a career. I understand where you guys are coming from but I have no idea how you do it. Maybe I'm just not capable of thinking long term enough, I don't know, but there's no way I could do anything successfully solely as a means to an end. Most of us are going to spend the majority of our adult lives at work, for me, no matter what lifestyle that job allows me outside of work my personality won't allow me to do well in a field I don't have a passion for. It's just how I'm wired. There's more than one way to skin a cat. The OP needs to figure out which side he fits into. The gov't contractor gravy train is a good idea if your career is something you tolerate to provide a lifestyle. At the very least, you'll make a solid 40% more than all us equivalent private sector worker bees. :ols: If you're like me, though, you need to find yourself first and what drives you before you'll be able to settle on a career. I'm trying not to overstate it too much but re-entering the automotive field as I described earlier in the thread was life changing for me. In terms of mood, outlook, mental state....everything came into focus for me. If you're anything like me a desk job that pays well won't be enough to make you happy. You have to decide for yourself what you need, how you work and what drives you.

All I can say is no matter what you do, do your best and then some. You'll get noticed and additional opportunities will present themselves. Not everyone can have their whole lives planned out when their young. We don't all work that way, but if you work your ass off no matter what it is you're doing you'll do fine.

Just wanted to re-emphasize this because of how much I believe in it. Work ethic and pride in one's work are not very common attributes in this country right now and imho, they're the most important attributes an adult can have. It took me a long time to realize this. I grew up in a household full of big talkers who never accomplished much, who overvalued intellect and "smarts" and undervalued hard work and doing things the right way. It was a hard lesson for me to learn but I've discovered as I've gotten older and moved on in life that smartest, most read, most intelligent person in the world isn't worth a dime without work ethic and work ethic by itself is worth plenty even with minimal intelligence to back it up. It's really what makes the world go.

In all honesty I envy people who can leave there jobs at work.....Being a fireman is not just a job its a lifestyle. Even when your off your not really off, and guys that do not live the lifestyle usually never make it longer than years, or are alienated to a point that they hate the job until they retire, and then when they do no one ever hears from them again.

All my friends are fireman, the bar I go to is full of fireman, firefighting requires constant education as it is always changing a day that goes by without learning about the craft and you are behind. So even when Im not working Im working. But I do not care cause I LOVE IT....I honestly do not knwo what I would do if I did not have this job. I do not realy have any other skills.

Sure the money is good and it is a stable job but I was kinda poor growing up so I do not need alot of money to be happy, I was a 10 dollar shoe kid, and now Im a 10 dollar shoe adult....the money I do make goes to providing to the kids and the wife. But no one does this job in order to get rich.

In short you gotta find what motivates you.....As much as I love my children, I think its my job that really defines me and I am ok with that, its also what motivates me. If thats not you then just get a job that pays well so you can do what you want. Its ok to sell out...gotta look out for you and your interests cause most others will not.

Archived