Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I Want to Learn How to Grill. (The Grilling 101 Thread)

Hubbs

Yes, salt it throw it on the grill. The meat does not need to marinade overnight or soak in anything. Trust me Zoony.

I'll have to, lol, I've never tried that before. My family has a flank steak marinade that is absolutely killer... so I've never prepared flank steak any other way. I could post it, but then I'd have to kill all of you :D

I'll have to, lol, I've never tried that before. My family has a flank steak marinade that is absolutely killer... so I've never prepared flank steak any other way. I could post it, but then I'd have to kill all of you :D

Marinading flank is great for fajitas and I guess if you like those flavors on a hunk of it.

I prefer mine cooked hot and fast, no frills. Ideally it comes off slightly rare and by the time it is done resting it hits medium rare.

3 of the most important things I picked up on my grilling adventures,

1. CHARCOAL!

2. Charcoal Chimney

3. Resting the meat

I'll also add that a good meat thermometer is essential in the early stages but also learn what the steaks feel like at different points in the cooking process.

An easy and pretty accurate way of doing this is simply by touching the steak and then cmparing it to this:

touching your pointer finger to the tip of your thumb (rare), middle finger to thumb (medium rare), ring finger to thumb (medium), pinky to thumb (overcooked)

finger-test.jpg

Learning to grill is a skill that is acquired by practicing and trying new things, some will work, others will not.

One last thing, DO NOT put the grill away just because it's cold, snowing, raining, sleeting, or any other kind of not so perfect grilling weather. My smoker and grill get used 12 months a year. There's pictures running around

on the net of me grilling in the blizzard last year. Why? because I had decided that I was grilling steaks that night.

edit: looking back through the thread I linked at the bottom of this there's a pic of me grilling in the snow. :ols:

Have fun and don't get discouraged.

Damn, almost forgot: Check out this Thread Lots of good info in there.

regarding chicken breasts, the best way I've found to cook them, bar none, is sauteed over medium low heat in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil.

low and slow... they turn out tender and juicy.

I cooked a chicken breast like that last night, in a cast iron pan. I used this fancy Moroccan olive oil that I got for Christmas. It's made from olives passed through the digestive tract of goats. A whiff from the bottle is almost enough to make you pass out, but the flavor was decent after cooking.

I cooked a chicken breast like that last night, in a cast iron pan. I used this fancy Moroccan olive oil that I got for Christmas. It's made from olives passed through the digestive tract of goats. A whiff from the bottle is almost enough to make you pass out, but the flavor was decent after cooking.

that sounds adventerous :ols:

Oddly enough, I buy my olive oil at TJ Maxx of all places. They have very high quality oils for around $10 a bottle. A bottle usually lasts me around 3 months or so... so I just pick up another bottle whenever I pass through with the wife.

that sounds adventerous :ols:

Oddly enough, I buy my olive oil at TJ Maxx of all places. They have very high quality oils for around $10 a bottle. A bottle usually lasts me around 3 months or so... so I just pick up another bottle whenever I pass through with the wife.

I'd say using olive oil from TJ Maxx is more adventurous than using goat ass oil!

Hubbs, I see a lot of people giving you recipes and such, but not many who are touching on the "how to start" part of things. This is the best advice I can offer you.

1. Don't start with steaks, you'll just get discouraged because that takes some trial and error. Start with something easier like Italian Sausages. Fire up your coals, put them on the grill, rotate them every so often. When they start to char a little and split, they're about ready. You should notice juice squirting out of them...after that it's all personal preference. They're delicious, and an easy way to get into grilling and feel like you're making progress.

2. Don't be afraid to use a meat thermometer. You're going to get all the macho crap about knowing how done a steak is by feel. Captain Kaos touched on it earlier. He wasn't being macho about it, but there are some people who will tell you that if you can't do it that way, you are a worthless griller, etc. They might say it jokingly, but they're silently telling you that you are beneath them and can't please a woman, etc. Ignore them. True, poking holes on a steak isn't optimal, but you have to learn, so use the thermometer. My main specialty now at tailgates is fish, and I still use the thermometer.

*True story...a few years back, I was grilling at the ES tailgate after a night game. We're talking 11:00 p.m. or later. I had this enormous steak in my cooler that someone had left...we're talking the size of a platter, and probably 1-1/2 inches thick at minimum. Honorary Hog can attest to this, maybe a few others who were there. Anyway, we had almost no light so I basically threw the steak on my grill in the dark. Sometime later, I guessed it might be done and took it off and served it. Medium the whole way through.

The point of the story isn't to brag, it's to point out that sometimes, it's pure dumb luck that makes things turn out right. When things go your way, always pretend you meant to do it exactly that way and never let anyone tell you different. It adds to your reputation :ols:

3. Less sauce. When you start getting into steaks and chicken, you might have a tendency to drown things in sauce. Don't do that...the sauce is supposed to be complimentary to the taste of the meat. There have been some good suggestions so far for different rubs, etc. Try them out, just don't overdo it, you want to know what meat you're consuming.

Have fun.

Best way to cook a nice steak is in a cast iron pan. I love steaks on the grill, but they are not as good. I sear it on both sides, then let it sit under glass a few min after taking it off the heat. It continues cooking.

Flank steak, I agree just marinade and grill, then slice thin. It doesn't get much easier.

As for done-ness, well, you're just going to have to practice.

I'd say using olive oil from TJ Maxx is more adventurous than using goat ass oil!

sounds crazy, I know... check it out though, you'll see what I mean

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 10:38 AM ----------

Best way to cook a nice steak is in a cast iron pan.

That's true of most everything, not just steak. (in terms of direct heat methods). Check out this clip from 2:50 - 3:50 (good clip to watch all the way thru, too, if you have time)

"you don't want this baby coming anywhere near an open fire"... says it all.

ZlZhwzLy4YA

steak must be cooked at temperatures above the smoke point of olive oil.

And oil should be used incredibly sparingly with steak. maybe a teaspoon for your average cut, if that. It is there not to provide flavor... If you are cooking a quality cut like a strip or a filet or a ribeye, use a tiny bit of peanut oil and a liberal amount of kosher salt. Anything else is sacrilege.

This from the guy who buys his Olive Oil at TJMaxx. :)

I use the EVOO for the taste, which is far better than peanut oil, IMO. About a tablespoon on EVOO with butter is money.

Best way to cook a nice steak is in a cast iron pan. I love steaks on the grill, but they are not as good. I sear it on both sides, then let it sit under glass a few min after taking it off the heat. It continues cooking.

I put my cast iron pan on the grill. Great for steaks, unbelievable for burgers.

Some will tell you you have to make your own barbecue sauce, but it's okay to use store bought. Find one you like. I like original Sweet Baby Rays on chicken. A common error comes when using barbecue sauce, though: Don't put any sauce on the chicken until toward the end of the cooking. Most sauces have some sugar in them - whether from honey, molasses, or sugar. The stuff burns too easily. Brush the sauce on in the final minutes of cooking. It doesn't need a lot of time on the grill.

don't use olive oil when cooking steak. It has the lowest smoke point of any of the oils and will burn and taste like ass. Use peanut oil. Use olive oil for salad dressings.

Minor point about this. Extra virgin olive oil is not intended for high-heat cooking. (Or any cooking really.) The flavors it imparts are, as zoony said, better suited to dressings or post-cook drizzles.

However, extra light olive oil (which is less expensive anyway) is fine for most cooking applications. It has a much higher smoke point than virgin or extra virgin olive oil.

-Try to flip steaks only once.

-If you have a charcoal grill, really learn the vents on the grill and how much they affect the temp of your fire.

-Don't use a fork on any meat on the grill. Tongs or spatula.

-Keep your grates CLEAN.

-Charcoal chimneys are one of the best things ever. Get one and see the awesomeness.

-On that note, when putting paper in the bottom of the chimney, put a little vegetable oil in the paper, its kind of like a wick. (Tip courtesy of Alton Brown)

-Kingsford charcoal blows, do not use it, ever. Royal Oak hardwood lump charcoal FTW! Sam's Choice charcoal is actually decent as well...I have heard it is actually made by Royal Oak. Not sure if that is true though.

That's all I've got for now.

If you don't have a meat thermometer, and are cooking chicken or steak, you can use your very own hand as a reference point for doneness.

Relax your hand and poke the area between your thumb and forefinger. Soft and squishy. That's raw.

Make a tight fist and poke the same area. Very little give. Overcooked.

Make a loose fist and poke the same area. That's what you're looking for. Poke the steak or chicken with your finger and you want it to feel like that. Pull it off the grill and make a 1" cut in the thickest part to confirm doneness, if you're not confident.

And if you're cooking with charcoal instead of gas, be aware that charcoal tends to give chicken a pinkish hue. It drives people nuts because it looks undercooked, even though it isn't.

Okay, major question when it comes to the 2-3 minutes on a skillet/throw it into a pre-heated oven method: I've looked up the smoke points of various oils, and have tried to cook a couple steaks with a bit of canola oil. My stove has your standard 1-10 knobs. Canola oil's smoke point is one of the higher ones, but even going up to 4 is causing the oil to smoke like crazy. I tried an even lower setting and got what I thought was only a little smoke - until I actually threw the steak down. Hissed like a mother****er. I've only been using one bottle that's been around for a while - is it possible to have "bad" oil, or am I seriously getting above 400 degrees before I've even gotten halfway to my stove's maximum heat?

Okay, major question when it comes to the 2-3 minutes on a skillet/throw it into a pre-heated oven method: I've looked up the smoke points of various oils, and have tried to cook a couple steaks with a bit of canola oil. My stove has your standard 1-10 knobs. Canola oil's smoke point is one of the higher ones, but even going up to 4 is causing the oil to smoke like crazy. I tried an even lower setting and got what I thought was only a little smoke - until I actually threw the steak down. Hissed like a mother****er. I've only been using one bottle that's been around for a while - is it possible to have "bad" oil, or am I seriously getting above 400 degrees before I've even gotten halfway to my stove's maximum heat?

I say skip all that and go to the mans cooking method. Charcoal Grillin baby!

-Try to flip steaks only once.

-If you have a charcoal grill, really learn the vents on the grill and how much they affect the temp of your fire.

-Don't use a fork on any meat on the grill. Tongs or spatula.

-Keep your grates CLEAN.

-Charcoal chimneys are one of the best things ever. Get one and see the awesomeness.

-On that note, when putting paper in the bottom of the chimney, put a little vegetable oil in the paper, its kind of like a wick. (Tip courtesy of Alton Brown)

-Kingsford charcoal blows, do not use it, ever. Royal Oak hardwood lump charcoal FTW! Sam's Choice charcoal is actually decent as well...I have heard it is actually made by Royal Oak. Not sure if that is true though.

That's all I've got for now.

Royal Oak is a good charcoal and is better than a lot of brands out there. Normally, I just use wood and smoke meats but there are times where I actually use a direct heat/grill method.

You have to be very careful about the heat output from the coals. As another poster mentioned, the vents can really help you out there.

Never ever ever ever poke the meats with a fork. Use tongs or a spatuala and make sure you keep the juices in the meat not on the heat.

Hubbs, actually the best thing to practice for a newbie is probably good old fashioned hamburgers in my opinion.

You only have to flip once, you'll learn to know when to flip, and grilled burgers taste great.

Minor point about this. Extra virgin olive oil is not intended for high-heat cooking. (Or any cooking really.) The flavors it imparts are, as zoony said, better suited to dressings or post-cook drizzles.

However, extra light olive oil (which is less expensive anyway) is fine for most cooking applications. It has a much higher smoke point than virgin or extra virgin olive oil.

very good point, and true

if you're putting oil on steak for the flavor, you're doing it wrong.

Uh huh. Cause the oil you use imparts no flavor whatsoever? To each his own, I guess.

It's going to hiss like a MF, don't worry about it. Put some butter in the skillet too, gives even better flavor, though Zoony may disagree, given that fat apparently does not impart flavor. Who knew! :) OK, that was passive aggressive. Sorry, Zoony. Anyway Hubbs, it is going to steam like crazy when you lay the steak down, which is why you lay it away from you as you lay it down. It will also steam quite a bit when you pull it out of the oven, that's OK too. The key is to brown it on both sides on the stove top for a couple of minutes, then finish it in the oven. Get a meat thermometer to make sure your timing is right, and you get the medium rare you desire. As someone else mentioned, let it rest for 10 minutes, minimum.

Then, enjoy.

Uh huh. Cause the oil you use imparts no flavor whatsoever? To each his own, I guess.

Not to speak for Zoony, but I tend to agree. You can do lots of things to "change" the flavor of a good steak, but it's kind of a waste and hard to get any better flavor for a steak than some kosher salt and a good dry aged piece of meat. Some would say it's even sacrilege to doctor up a really good steakand please no well dones!! :ols:

If your not sure the difference between wet aging and dry aging(to Hubbs), here you go. Most meat you find is wet aged. Link

Aged Beef: Time Equals Tenderness

Dry-Aged Beef

Looking for beef that’s incredibly tender and flavorful? Here’s a simple suggestion: try aged beef. Properly aged beef is clearly superior in taste and tenderness–and that’s why we offer dry-aged and wet-aged beef at Wegmans. Here’s a primer to help you understand the basics.

What Makes Dry-Aged Beef so special

Our dry-aged beef, available in a variety of cuts, is the ultimate in tenderness and flavor. Dry-aged beef is really something special. But beef suppliers can’t offer it without making a major time investment. As a result, dry-aged beef’s not something you’ll find at many stores–or, for that matter, at many restaurants. But its incredible flavor and tenderness are too good to pass up–and that’s why we have it at Wegmans.

For us, the dry-aging process begins in our beef supplier’s special cooler–which was built specifically for our needs. Meat placed in this cooler is strictly controlled for temperature and humidity–where beef ages for approximately 21 days.

During dry-aging, two things take place. First, the additional aging time allows the breakdown of fibrous tissues, resulting in supreme tenderness. Second, the monitored atmosphere causes evaporation–meaning that the meat loses a lot of moisture. Rather than drying out or losing flavor (as some might suspect), beef gets even better with dry aging. Why? As moisture decreases and the meat consequently shrinks, the remaining flavor intensifies.

Because of the extra time and the shrinkage of the meat, dry-aged beef commands a higher price. But the combination of tenderness and intense flavor sets it apart.

Wet-Aged Beef

Our USDA Choice beef is wet aged before it is offered for sale. This extra time (in a controlled atmosphere) allows the fibers of the meat to begin to break down and reach an extra level of tenderness not often found in supermarkets. Wegmans has made a significant commitment to the wet-aging process—it’s our way of adding extra value to shoppers’ beef purchases. Because wet-aged beef isn’t exposed to air (like its dry-aged counterpart), it doesn’t lose as much moisture through evaporation. Wet aging gives you delicious, tender meat.

Wet-aged beef cuts that are put into Wegmans Keeps Fresh packaging (as opposed to the traditional foam tray) have the even greater benefit of more time to age. Your steak stays fresh longer right in your fridge, and you get a more tender piece of meat.

Not to speak for Zoony, but I tend to agree. You can do lots of things to "change" the flavor of a good steak, but it's kind of a waste and hard to get any better flavor for a steak than some kosher salt and a good dry aged piece of meat. Some would say it's even sacrilege to doctor up a really good steak.

Yeah agreed. All I am saying is that to cook on the stove, you need some sort of fat. I prefer the taste of olive oil to other oils, and since oil is needed, i would prefer to use something i think tastes good. That's all.

Archived