Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I Want to Learn How to Grill. (The Grilling 101 Thread)

Hubbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceteris_paribus

corn fed > grass. Not even a debate, sorry. You're trying to compare 1 variable in a situation where there are dozens.

I have a lot of respect for you zoony, but I find that typically when people say "not even a debate" it's because they don't have much in the way of evidence to give. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but I also haven't seen you post much in the way of reasons for your position unless I missed them in the dozen pages of this thread.

You did post a cute link to a wikipedia article on a latin phrase, which is nice. ;)

So why is corn fed better? And if it's just a matter of flavor, and some people happen to disagree, what difference does it make to you? That's like saying people who put bleu cheese on their filet are morons, and the correct way to eat it is with a pepper crust.

Yeah, the majority (95%?) of beef/chicken/turkey sold in grocery stores is all grain-fed (corn). Why? Corn is cheap and it fattens up the animal quickly.

We had a free-range grass-fed turkey at Thanksgiving from TenderGrass Farm (bought on-line). It was, by far, the best turkey we've ever eaten. And the amazing thing was when it was finished cooking there was very, very little grease in the bottom of the pan. The meat was not dried out. Actually, it was the most moist turkey I've ever cooked. Expensive, but well worth the money.

The pork suasage and ground beef I bought from them was just as tasty as the turkey. Next up for me is to buy the Beef Sampler from them for Spring/Summer grilling.

Wait, so grass-fed was obviously that much better?

cooking steaks for 10 or so tomorrow. sirloin is what ill probably get. anyone know of a good rub/marinade to put on the steak. im thinking of using lawrys seasoned salt and maybe something acidic to help break down the fibers.

It's a little late now, if you're grilling today. In the future, just google "London Broil"

Wait, so grass-fed was obviously that much better?

Yes..The turkey was much better than any turkey I've ever had. I should correct my original statement. It was not a "grass-fed turkey". It was pastured turkey that doesn't receive vaccinations or antibiotics.

As someone else has pointed out, there are dozens of things that go into raising animals to eat. Maybe it was the specific breed of turkey, the air in southern Virginia, the phase of the moon, etc. All I can say is I've found the place to buy my Thanksgiving turkey and it won't change.

And yes, the pork sausage & ground beef tasted better than store bought. And had much less fat/grease when finished cooking.

• 1 month later...

Anyone use a meat thermometer here when they grill (or cook meat in general). I've read widely that "done-ness" is measure of temperature not color. Most meats once they hit 160 degrees Fahrenheit are safe to it. Medium rare beef is only 130-135 degrees. Anyway, so I've been cooking chicken and sausage recently and using a meat thermometer to check the internal temp and even when chicken and sausage have gone way over 160 degrees it's still pink. Yes, I've stuck the thermometer deep into the thickest section of the meat. We cooked it some more to a color we were more comfortable with but now wondering if that was pointless and just overcooking the meat.

Any insight into this?

Anyone use a meat thermometer here when they grill (or cook meat in general). I've read widely that "done-ness" is measure of temperature not color. Most meats once they hit 160 degrees Fahrenheit are safe to it. Medium rare beef is only 130-135 degrees. Anyway, so I've been cooking chicken and sausage recently and using a meat thermometer to check the internal temp and even when chicken and sausage have gone way over 160 degrees it's still pink. Yes, I've stuck the thermometer deep into the thickest section of the meat. We cooked it some more to a color we were more comfortable with but now wondering if that was pointless and just overcooking the meat.

Any insight into this?

How are you grilling the chicken, whole or quartered? How does the chicken breast come out?

Anyone cook bison meat? I prefer it to beef, but it's hard to find for me. Does anyone have a place they order it from online that is any good?

You can usually find it at any nicer grocery store like Whole Foods. I'd guess Ukrop's/Martin's would have it, but I never looked there. I think I've found it at Harris Teeter before, too.

Depending on your grill and the size of the steak you need to use the hand technique.....it won't serve you wrong. I grill in the dark and timing and touch is everything for the way it's grill.....it also depends on your grill and the temp it goes up to or how you control that temp ceiling.

i can grill in the dark and it come out silly....you just need to know your grill temp and you can time it perfectly.

How are you grilling the chicken, whole or quartered? How does the chicken breast come out?

No breast this time. Just thighs and legs. I may try it with a breast and see how it comes out.

The thermometer works well with steaks, roasts, pork chops they've all come out perfect. Then again, with beef particularly, there's much more leeway. Little wary about chicken and sausage.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

Depending on your grill and the size of the steak you need to use the hand technique.....it won't serve you wrong. I grill in the dark and timing and touch is everything for the way it's grill.....it also depends on your grill and the temp it goes up to or how you control that temp ceiling.

i can grill in the dark and it come out silly....you just need to know your grill temp and you can time it perfectly.

I've done the touch thing with steaks, but I don't know how well it works with chicken with bones and sausage (since it's not "one piece" of meat)

Anyone cook bison meat? I prefer it to beef, but it's hard to find for me. Does anyone have a place they order it from online that is any good?

Funny you mentioned that. I was in my local grocery store on Sunday and noticed that they had new section just for bison meat. I have had bison a ton of times, but never cooked it myself. Going to pick some up this weekend.

Anyone got a good bison meat recipe/tip?

For Steaks, the type of cut is everything... I get at least 1.5 inch thick cuts and get only the Choice cuts. Most stores sell only Choice and Select cuts. Select has minimal flavor - Choice is great and Prime is really expensive and usually for fine diners.

Here are some Choice cut 1.5 inch strip steaks I did last weekend with potato wedges and asparagus.

Stripsetc.jpg

Grilled Chicken Salad

3 - chicken breasts, skinless and boneless

2 - tablespoons of mayonaise

3 - stalks of celery

1/2 - vidalia onion

Brine solution

8 - cups of water

4 - tablespoons of sugar

2 - tablespoons of salt

2 - tablespoons of italian seasonings

Mix brine ingrediants in a large bowl, one with a lid preferably. Once mixed, add chicken. Cover. Allow to rest in the fridge for at least an hour. After an hour, remove the chicken and rinse it thoroughly. Then pat it dry and set aside.

Get your grill up to temperature, typically I have mine around 375F for chicken.

For seasoning on the chicken I use Big Green Egg seasoning, but Old Bay could be a substitute. Depends on your flavor preference.

Slap those breasts on the grill and cook until done. Do not over cook them. How do you know when it is done without a thermometer? The chicken will be firm when pressed, but spring back to shape. Pull those beautiful breasts off the grill and allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes. Once they have rested, start cubing those masterfully cooked breaststisses then set them aside in a clean bowl in the fridge. They need to be completely cooled to keep from melting the mayo and making creamy chicken soup.

While the chicken is cooling, chop your celery and onions. I try to dice the onions because noone really likes huge chunks of raw onion in anything.

Bring out the chicken once it is cooled, add celery, onion and mayo.

I didn't see this earlier, but this is a local farm that you can get bison meat from:

http://www.cibolafarms.com/

The usually have a booth at the Falls Church farmer's market and I will sometimes pick some up there.

Regarding corn fed > grass fed... we bought a whole side of grass fed beef this past winter and haven't been in love with the taste and texture. Maybe it's acquired, maybe we're just so used to regular corn fed. Grass fed ground beef is pretty good. But the steaks leave a lot to be desired. I think the marbling is essential to taste and texture and grass fed is very lean. If you eat steaks infrequently like we do, just stick with non-grass fed. It's tastier, IMO.

Regarding corn fed > grass fed... we bought a whole side of grass fed beef this past winter and haven't been in love with the taste and texture. Maybe it's acquired, maybe we're just so used to regular corn fed. Grass fed ground beef is pretty good. But the steaks leave a lot to be desired. I think the marbling is essential to taste and texture and grass fed is very lean. If you eat steaks infrequently like we do, just stick with non-grass fed. It's tastier, IMO.

My take on the whole thing is in general grass fed is healthier and corn fed tastes better. Now there are a lot of variables that can be introduced from breed of cow to ageing method. But all things being comparable that's how I see it.

No breast this time. Just thighs and legs. I may try it with a breast and see how it comes out.

The thermometer works well with steaks, roasts, pork chops they've all come out perfect. Then again, with beef particularly, there's much more leeway. Little wary about chicken and sausage.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

I've done the touch thing with steaks, but I don't know how well it works with chicken with bones and sausage (since it's not "one piece" of meat)

In my experience, thighs and legs can be cook to a higher temperature and still turn out great. Breasts are a lot easier to dry out, so when I roast a whole chicken I'll stick the thermometer in the breast and make sure to take it out when it hits 160.

My take on the whole thing is in general grass fed is healthier and corn fed tastes better. Now there are a lot of variables that can be introduced from breed of cow to ageing method. But all things being comparable that's how I see it.

Oh I agree that grass fed is healthier and that's the reason we did it. But you're right, I'm taking a small sample. I've never had grass fed Angus mayb it'd be different.

• 4 months later...

this thread has been dead the whole summer.. im dissapointed.

ok, so today the gf called me and told me she was bringing some skirt steak over. of course, being the awesome lady she is, she brought ice house and white russians as well. against my better judgement, i grilled the steak after just an hour of marinating in a bloody mary marinade. bad idea.

as i expected, it was way too tough and chewy, though the flavor was good.. prolly needs at least 4 hours to soak in all the goodness and break down the fibers.

this thread has been dead the whole summer.. im dissapointed.

ok, so today the gf called me and told me she was bringing some skirt steak over. of course, being the awesome lady she is, she brought ice house and white russians as well. against my better judgement, i grilled the steak after just an hour of marinating in a bloody mary marinade. bad idea.

as i expected, it was way too tough and chewy, though the flavor was good.. prolly needs at least 4 hours to soak in all the goodness and break down the fibers.

The key with skirt is you have to cut thin and across the grain

The other thing with skirt steak is that it only needs about 1 minute per side on a hot grill, 2 tops. If you cook it past medium it's going to be tough and chewy no matter how you cut it. Having hours to marinate it is actually not that helpful. (It adds flavor, but the notion that most marinades do much to tenderize meat is a long-standing myth.)

Then you have to keep in mind that with skirt steak, unlike flank steak, the grain is running the short way, not the long way. So what you have to do to get manageable pieces that are against the grain is break your long strip of skirt steak down into shorter pieces, and then rotate those 90 degrees so you can slice across the grain, as thinly as possible.

It might make you nervous the first time you try to cook it for just a minute or two on each side, but it's a thin piece of steak that toughens up quickly. Your other option is to cook it long and slow and then shred it kind of like pork butt. Either approach is delicious, but anything in between is shoe leather.

I tried Bobby Flay's marinade for cuban skirt steak, it was really good.

1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

8 cloves garlic, chopped

2 fresh bay leaves (must be fresh)

Zest and juice of 2 limes

Two 1 1/2-pound skirt steaks

put it all in a blender and marinate for 24 hours

My only complaint is the price of skirt steaks nowadays. WTF is going on? The whole point of cooking a skirt steak is that it's cheap. Not anymore, that **** was $10-$15/pound. Are you kidding me? :doh:

My only complaint is the price of skirt steaks nowadays. WTF is going on? The whole point of cooking a skirt steak is that it's cheap. Not anymore, that **** was $10-$15/pound. Are you kidding me? :doh:

It was cheap because the demand was low when people didn't know that it could be cooked to be flavorful and tender. The word is out and the price is up.

Archived