Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I Want to Learn How to Grill. (The Grilling 101 Thread)

Hubbs

I was wondering that as well. I've just been using the grocery store. Any good DC-area recommendations?

Also, another question about oils and smoke points: Someone posted this smoke points chart earlier. It repeatedly describes oils as unrefined, semi-refined, refined, and "Good Eats", which I assume is a brand association with the show. I looked at several bottles of oil in our pantry - I believe canola, olive, and sunflower were all there - and I couldn't find anything on any bottle about whether or not the oil in question was refined at all, let alone the extent. Is there some other word I should be looking for?

If you are buying oil for cooking, don't spend a lot of money. Unless your recipe calls for special oil like avacado or sesame.

If you are buying olive oil for flavor (breads, dressings, etc.), make sure it is "cold pressed". I'll say it again, TJ Maxx has a great selection in their food aisle of gourmet imported olive oils from Greece/Spain for around $10.

Does that mean they need less time?

I imagine he's referring to the fact that due to their higher marbling (streaks of fat running throughout the lean) they have an inherent juiciness that makes them more forgiving to cook.

Other high-end cuts like tenderloin (filet mignon) and NY strip lack that marbling, or don't have it to the same degree. It gives them a little bit less flavor, and increases the risk that the meat will dry out. This is why filets are often wrapped in bacon to add a little bit of fat and flavor.

Other high-end cuts like tenderloin (filet mignon) and NY strip lack that marbling, or don't have it to the same degree. It gives them a little bit less flavor, and increases the risk that the meat will dry out. This is why filets are often wrapped in bacon to add a little bit of fat and flavor.

100% true, if I'm buying a cheaper grade of meat I usually want filet, I'll give up flavor for tenderness. If I am buying expensive grades of meat I'll go with a Strip almost all the time. For me a great quality strip steak or a top quality bone in rib-eye are about the best tasting steaks you can get.

100% true, if I'm buying a cheaper grade of meat I usually want filet, I'll give up flavor for tenderness. If I am buying expensive grades of meat I'll go with a Strip almost all the time. For me a great quality strip steak or a top quality bone in rib-eye are about the best tasting steaks you can get.

Yah, but the tenderness of the filet makes up for quite a bit, and you can undercook a filet a lot more without getting that raw rubbery texture. I agree with the superior taste of the ribeye... but a filet with butter melted over top... :hungry:

So how is a flat iron steak viewed in terms of flavor/tenderness? Also, which cuts generally have the least amount of gristle in them?

A flat iron steak is one of the better cuts, but beware a lot of places call different steaks flat iron's. Look on wiki to see what the steak should actually look like, or if it's from a butcher it's probably ok.

So how is a flat iron steak viewed in terms of flavor/tenderness? Also, which cuts generally have the least amount of gristle in them?

just go by price. The best cuts are ribeye, NY Strip, Porterhouse / T-Bone (slightly different but not much), and Filet.

Grades are Prime, Choice, Select. "Prime" is more difficult to find, it used to be reserved exclusively for wholesalers (restaurant biz) but nowadays some retailers carry it... mostly gourmet places. The grades are given on the amount of "marbling" in the meat, e.g. the amount of fat. Expect to pay roughly $20-25 / lb for Prime cuts... and $12-15 for Choice

Now many people's traditional view of fat is that it is gross and chewy... but a properly marbled steak is nothing of the sort. The fat will melt into the beef and give it an incredible flavor when you cook.

Cheaper cuts like flank, sirloin, skirt, etc. have little to no fat. Hence the need for a lot of marination prior to cooking. (Filet mignon has little to no fat either, but its tenderness more than makes up for it, hence the high price)

Take, for instance, Wagyu beef. $100 a pound, but look at that marbling...

14df0_Wagyu_DSC6301.jpg

Beef_wideweb__470x306,0.jpg

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 02:29 PM ----------

oh, one more thing. Anyone who says "grass fed" is better is, by definition, a ****ing moron and you should not listen to them about anything.

Grass fed is more lean. Which means less flavor. If you want lean, eat a piece of chicken. If you want steak, get a ****ing corn fed beautiful piece of meat.

I imagine he's referring to the fact that due to their higher marbling (streaks of fat running throughout the lean) they have an inherent juiciness that makes them more forgiving to cook.

Exactly. Easier meaning because they are fattier, you don't have to be perfect to make a great steak.

Or the strip side is underdone. Porterhouses are overrated I think.

Overrated how? If you like strip and you like filet, what's not to like?

For all the supposed grill experts in this thread, you'd think you guys would be able to handle a Porterhouse.

Now many people's traditional view of fat is that it is gross and chewy... but a properly marbled steak is nothing of the sort. The fat will melt into the beef and give it an incredible flavor when you cook.

Does fat that's likely to melt into the beef have a different appearance than fat that's likely to remain chewy?

Does fat that's likely to melt into the beef have a different appearance than fat that's likely to remain chewy?

Leaving out the Wagyu beef, most mabling to me looks likes flecks of fat feathered throughout the meat. Gristle and chewy stuff is more straight line and longer.

For all the supposed grill experts in this thread, you'd think you guys would be able to handle a Porterhouse.

Honestly it depends on the cut. The thicker porterhouse steaks are easier to cook. With the thinner ones you have to pay a lot closer attention. Typically for me one side will be medium, and the other mid-rare. The bone absorbs and interferes with the heat.

OK that one picture is not beef marbled with fat, it's fat marbled with beef.

No joke, I bet the cow was one funny lookin bovine.

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 03:49 PM ----------

I still say we need a DC Steakhouse review team. Some ES'ers to meet up at the area steak houses to dine, then do our reviews.

[/color]oh, one more thing. Anyone who says "grass fed" is better is, by definition, a ****ing moron and you should not listen to them about anything.

Grass fed is more lean. Which means less flavor. If you want lean, eat a piece of chicken. If you want steak, get a ****ing corn fed beautiful piece of meat.

I actually disagree. My parents recently bought 1/4th of a cow from a local farm. Grass fed, and it has a stronger beef flavor than any grocery store steak I've ever had. Now, there are a lot of variables involved here besides just diet. Quality of beef, aging, etc., but I don't think you can make a declaration that grass fed = less flavor.

I don't see how it's a question of "handling" it. It's a simple fact that the filet is going to cook faster than the strip. I don't personally want a steak where it's done to two different levels.

I actually disagree. My parents recently bought 1/4th of a cow from a local farm. Grass fed, and it has a stronger beef flavor than any grocery store steak I've ever had. Now, there are a lot of variables involved here besides just diet. Quality of beef, aging, etc., but I don't think you can make a declaration that grass fed = less flavor.

Most of the times I don't have a clue the diet of the cow. The times I have had corn fed beef I have to say it was the best I've had. I've never had grass fed beef or at least designated that way. I'd like to try some one day just to see what I think.

Archived