Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I Want to Learn How to Grill. (The Grilling 101 Thread)

Hubbs

I actually disagree. My parents recently bought 1/4th of a cow from a local farm. Grass fed, and it has a stronger beef flavor than any grocery store steak I've ever had. Now, there are a lot of variables involved here besides just diet. Quality of beef, aging, etc., but I don't think you can make a declaration that grass fed = less flavor.

ceterus peribus, corn fed > grass fed

• 3 weeks later...

tonight I'll be grilling for the wifes birthday (taking her out tomorrow).

Beef tips in a bourbon maple marinade, cooked over cherry and oak w/ charcoal.

not sure what sides yet, but I just learned a new recipe that tastes incredible. Mashed sweet potato with orange juice and butter, sprinkled with a little brown sugar, so I may go that route. (BTW, one large sweet potato fed my family of four for our veggie serving for a meal last week. Great way to stretch a buck)

gf snagged a couple porterhouses, time to cook them up. what is the best way to cook them? its freezing outside so well skip the grill.

so far my plan is to take the steaks out and let them thaw, lay on some salt and pepper and a little olive oil. preheat the pan until its pretty hot, and drop the steak in. grab a meat thermometer from the store and about 5 degrees from my temperature, take the steaks off and wrap them in aluminum foil so they can rest. ive never used a thermometer or "rested" anything, so im interested to see how this works out. how does this sound?

so far my plan is to take the steaks out and let them thaw, lay on some salt and pepper and a little olive oil. preheat the pan until its pretty hot, and drop the steak in. grab a meat thermometer from the store and about 5 degrees from my temperature, take the steaks off and wrap them in aluminum foil so they can rest. ive never used a thermometer or "rested" anything, so im interested to see how this works out. how does this sound?

wont the meat get burned while you are at the store getting the thermometer?;)

wont the meat get burned while you are at the store getting the thermometer?;)

lol, i knew someone was gonna say that

---------- Post added February-4th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

not sure what sides yet, but I just learned a new recipe that tastes incredible. Mashed sweet potato with orange juice and butter, sprinkled with a little brown sugar, so I may go that route. (BTW, one large sweet potato fed my family of four for our veggie serving for a meal last week. Great way to stretch a buck)

this sounds good btw. im a big fan of sweet potatoes.

lol, i knew someone was gonna say that

---------- Post added February-4th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

this sounds good btw. im a big fan of sweet potatoes.

LOL, I couldnt resist!

The sweetpotato recipe really surprised me with how good it was. (I am also a fan of traditional methods to prepare them)

We just skinned and cut a big one up, steamed it, mashed it with some orange juice and butter and bam....fantastic veggie side!

Okay, I'm gonna experiment a little this weekend. One thing I've been trying to nail down is the average gristle expectations I should have for any cut. So far, I've found that New York strips seem to have an inordinate amount of gristle. Is that normal, or have I just had bad luck with strips so far?

Okay, I'm gonna experiment a little this weekend. One thing I've been trying to nail down is the average gristle expectations I should have for any cut. So far, I've found that New York strips seem to have an inordinate amount of gristle. Is that normal, or have I just had bad luck with strips so far?

If they have one around you go to Wegmans and get the Dry-aged NY Strip. No gristle, as tender as some Filet.

so, mixed results on the broiling of the steaks. the meat thermometers sucked. i had two of them and neither of them read over 105 at all.

i found that the closer you put the rack to the top of the oven, the better the steak comes out. the first one was overcooked (well done because the meat thermometer was showing less than 105), the 2nd one turned out medium rare and was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Some neat and interesting ideas here. I am currently on a run of about two years not overcooking steak and pretty much have direct and indirect down. Indirect is the way to go when something needs longer cook times. I use a gas Weber three burner Genesis. Set me back $700. but I use it all the time, moreso than my over. I can cook pizza on it and it is tricky but comes out awesome. I have a combination of methods for different meats.

But for those looking for a great and easy steak method, say ribeyes, my favorite I do this.

Outside burners on med. high, center direct on high. Grills hits about 450-475 temp wise. I only dry rub the meat, montreal or your own rub is fine. I sear the meat in the middle 2-3 minutes and then cross the meat. This is key for the markings and eveness for cooking. Cross at 90 degrees. I see too many people flipping steaks all over the place. The steak should only be touched three times once on the grill. Once to cross, once to flip and once to remove. After crossing the steak another 3-4 minutes and then turn, cook another 4-5 minutes and no more. Once I flip the steak I turn the middle direct burner to low and let the indirect finish off the steak. There is more than enough heat to sear the unseared side and the steak seems to collect itself before removal.

As someone mentioned earlier letting the meat rest before grilling for 20 minutes and then resting 10 minutes covered after removal is ideal.

I will try and add some picks to this thread later.

And if you want to try something brave, flip a cast iron skillet over on the grill at full power and do a filet pittsburgh rare finishing it off with burbon or brandy. Makes a great party attraction and you get to do a shot. Be careful and don't do this on a lanai or porch with a roof, hahaa. Americas Funniest Videos awaits if you do.

---------- Post added February-15th-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

bone in ribeyes tonight, mmmm

Only steak to order at the high end steak houses, filets are no match for the flavor of a cowboy ribeye

Only steak to order at the high end steak houses, filets are no match for the flavor of a cowboy ribeye

yeah, its always been my favorite steak to order at a steakhouse. just so flavorful.

i picked some pretty good ribeyes. good amount of fat, and a deep red hue. ill use a hot cast iron skillet to sear both sides for a couple of minutes. then its in the oven to broil 7-9 minutes. then rest. hopefully they will turn out pretty well. this method work decently on the porterhouses i cooked last week.

Idk man I think that's too long under the broiler and too long searing at high heat, I think it will come out too well done.

My method stove top is sear on super high heat for 30 seconds each side, then put it in the oven 500 degrees for 4 minutes each side. If it's a super thick cut then 5-6 minutes. Rest 5 minutes before eating and it's perfect.

ceterus peribus, corn fed > grass fed

I don't think it's that simple. I can see why one might prefer the flavor of corn-fed beef: it's more buttery and almost sweet. But almost all beef in Australia is grass-fed, and the flavor is qualitatively different. Because of the lower fat content, cooking requires a bit more care, but the meat has a great savory taste to it, kind of like a good piece of venison but without being too gamey. I don't think that makes me a moron.

so, mixed results on the broiling of the steaks. the meat thermometers sucked. i had two of them and neither of them read over 105 at all.

i found that the closer you put the rack to the top of the oven, the better the steak comes out. the first one was overcooked (well done because the meat thermometer was showing >105), the 2nd one turned out medium rare and was awesome.

Is this normal? The higher in the oven thing?

I don't think it's that simple. I can see why one might prefer the flavor of corn-fed beef: it's more buttery and almost sweet. But almost all beef in Australia is grass-fed, and the flavor is qualitatively different. Because of the lower fat content, cooking requires a bit more care, but the meat has a great savory taste to it, kind of like a good piece of venison but without being too gamey. I don't think that makes me a moron.

Okay, I didn't even know there were different "fed" cuts of meat. I haven't seen this in grocery stores. Where can you find corn-fed versus grass-fed?

Idk man I think that's too long under the broiler and too long searing at high heat, I think it will come out too well done.

My method stove top is sear on super high heat for 30 seconds each side, then put it in the oven 500 degrees for 4 minutes each side. If it's a super thick cut then 5-6 minutes. Rest 5 minutes before eating and it's perfect.

yeah, it was too long. youre description is almost exactly what i wound up doing. when i cooked the porterhouses last week i didnt let the iron skillet heat up as long. this time i let it heat up for about 15 minutes. it was toasty. i set the timer on 90 seconds (i wanted to sear each side 90 seconds) and by 45 seconds the smoke alarm had already gone off. it was smoky as hell. so as you mentioned, i wound up searing each side about 30 seconds.

about 4 minutes each side was perfect for medium-medium rare. they came out really nice. evenly cooked throughout and a good sear on each side.

next time i wont be putting olive oil on the meat at all. maybe i can find some high smoke point oil so i dont have to sear with the door open.

Is this normal? The higher in the oven thing?

it depends. i saw a video online that suggested the top of your steak be no closer than 4" from the broiling element. it seems to depend on the thickness of your steak and also the temperature of your broiler (which isnt listed on either stove i cooked on). the broiler i used last week must have been pretty lame, cuz i needed to get the meat close to the broiler element. the broiler on the stove i used tonight seemed to cook better at about six inches from the element. keep on trying with the same equipment and im sure you'll get it right.

also, be careful what you pan you use to broil with in the oven (if you dont use the skillet). i used a cookie sheet, and halfway through cooking the second steak, the sheet was beginning to warp. most ovens come with a broiling rack, id assume that works better.

also, if you lay down a sheet of aluminum foil on your broiling pan, you'll catch all the juices from the steak. in addition, it makes for easy and quick wrapping of the steak as it rests. the steaks i cooked tonight were very juicy and flavorful.

after i seared the steaks in the iron skillet, i put a sliced onion in the skillet and cooked them with the remaining juices from the searing process, they were nice on top of the steak.

Okay, I didn't even know there were different "fed" cuts of meat. I haven't seen this in grocery stores. Where can you find corn-fed versus grass-fed?

I haven't lived in the States for several years, but I'm pretty sure that almost all the meat you're going to get is grain-fed (and, in the era of agricultural subsidies, this means "corn-fed").

I believe Trader Joe's sells grass-fed beef. I'm sure Whole Foods would as well.

come on ATB, you know by now... if anyone disagrees with me, they are a moron. :bow:

I haven't lived in the States for several years, but I'm pretty sure that almost all the meat you're going to get is grain-fed (and, in the era of agricultural subsidies, this means "corn-fed").

I believe Trader Joe's sells grass-fed beef. I'm sure Whole Foods would as well.

Yeah, the majority (95%?) of beef/chicken/turkey sold in grocery stores is all grain-fed (corn). Why? Corn is cheap and it fattens up the animal quickly.

We had a free-range grass-fed turkey at Thanksgiving from TenderGrass Farm (bought on-line). It was, by far, the best turkey we've ever eaten. And the amazing thing was when it was finished cooking there was very, very little grease in the bottom of the pan. The meat was not dried out. Actually, it was the most moist turkey I've ever cooked. Expensive, but well worth the money.

The pork suasage and ground beef I bought from them was just as tasty as the turkey. Next up for me is to buy the Beef Sampler from them for Spring/Summer grilling.

Yeah, the majority (95%?) of beef/chicken/turkey sold in grocery stores is all grain-fed (corn). Why? Corn is cheap and it fattens up the animal quickly.

We had a free-range grass-fed turkey at Thanksgiving from TenderGrass Farm (bought on-line). It was, by far, the best turkey we've ever eaten. And the amazing thing was when it was finished cooking there was very, very little grease in the bottom of the pan. The meat was not dried out. Actually, it was the most moist turkey I've ever cooked. Expensive, but well worth the money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceteris_paribus

corn fed > grass. Not even a debate, sorry. You're trying to compare 1 variable in a situation where there are dozens.

Archived