Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I Want to Learn How to Grill. (The Grilling 101 Thread)

Hubbs

It was cheap because the demand was low when people didn't know that it could be cooked to be flavorful and tender. The word is out and the price is up.

same things happened to the ribeye. It's been discovered.

But in general, I'm kind of off beef. I still love hamburgers but I like the versatility of pork and chicken much better. I only eat steak once in a while... and when I do, it has to be a very specific cut cooked correctly. I can't eat at Outback anymore- disgusting

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 07:42 PM ----------

Speaking of chicken, I can't recommend this dry rub enough

1 tablespoon curry powder

1 tablespoon chili powder

2 teaspoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon adobo powder, without pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika

It's from Alton Brown, very, very good. Just put it in a ziploc bag and put your chicken parts in there and shake really good and work it into the meat. Then, grill- the fatty layer between the skin and the chicken will mix with the rub and create a pseudo-bbq sauce. But the flavors are outstanding... sort of a hot bbq flavor with plenty of punch.

A few notes about chicken. Most important of all, NEVER buy anything other than a whole chicken. Learn to cut it up yourself. Just do a youtube search- by your 3rd or 4th chicken you'll be able to fully cut up a whole chicken in just a few minutes. You will save a TON of money doing it this way- and you can buy the fancy organic free-range all grain fed steroid hormone free with turbochargers, and still come out ahead -vs- buying that Tyson crap they pawn off as chicken. Which is a good segway into my next point, don't buy cheap chicken. Just don't do it, it will taste like ass.

And for the love of God, don't bbq chicken off the bone or without skin. You need both, otherwise the meat will dry out. If you want to debone/skin it, fine- but do it after it's done cooking.

• 3 months later...

Archived