Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Clinton Portis make the Redskins Ring of Fame?

Gart Monk

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes, and I think putting his name right next to Sean Taylors would be most appropriate.

im not sure how i feel about it but i certainly agree that with his stats he has a good argument in his favor, but i agree that if he does make the ring he should by all means be placed next to ST21

Not to be mean, but Sean Taylor is up there. Yes he was on his way to a possible great career, but he was here for 4 years. CP has made a big impact on this team and could be the all-time leading rusher in Redskin history. He belongs in the Ring of Fame.

I said at the time I didn't think Sean Taylor warranted being in the Ring of Fame, but everybody seemed to think he deserved it. I'd definitely put CP in over Taylor if Taylor weren't already up there.

But for argument's sake, could a case be made for Stephen Davis if we're saying CP should be up? Both played 7 years in DC, CP has four 1000 yard seasons to Davis' 3. Davis has 2 fewer TDs than CP and Davis made 2 Pro Bowls to CP's 1. I'm just saying, you could make a decent argument that if one is worthy, so is the other one.

So now you're changing the criteria. You said if a player didn't contribute to a deep playoff run, they don't belong. Again please let us know when you have your petition ready to have Sonny Jurgensen removed from the ROF.

And let me add Clintons 1 pro bowl is exactly one more than John Riggins earned for the Redskins.

It comes all crashing down doesn't it?

No actually I was trying to find a reason to include Portis. But he was neither a leader on a winning team or elite at his position while with the Skins.

No. He never did anything spectacular.

He had a ton of carries, and blocked well. And the team often did better when he was out.

That isn't ROF material.

Often? I believe it's ONCE, when Betts played at his absolute best like Betts could never duplicate again.

Portis carried this team in '05 and '07. I can't think of a player as important to the Skins in the 00's other than maybe Samuels. Darrel Green's time was the mid 80's to start of the 00's, LOL.

Often? I believe it's ONCE, when Betts played at his absolute best like Betts could never duplicate again.

Portis carried this team in '05 and '07. I can't think of a player as important to the Skins in the 00's other than maybe Samuels. Darrel Green's time was the mid 80's to start of the 00's, LOL.

You don't want to get into it. Trust me. Don't go there. Ever argued with a wall?

Anyway to answer the question, yes. He was a core redskin. He played hard here. He could've sulked that he got traded away from his team, but didn't. He played hard. And forget to mention the leadership role after Sean Taylor's death. There's been things he's done/said that's been dumb, but he's played superb here and is the team's 2nd leading rusher of all time.

I said at the time I didn't think Sean Taylor warranted being in the Ring of Fame, but everybody seemed to think he deserved it. I'd definitely put CP in over Taylor if Taylor weren't already up there.

But for argument's sake, could a case be made for Stephen Davis if we're saying CP should be up? Both played 7 years in DC, CP has four 1000 yard seasons to Davis' 3. Davis has 2 fewer TDs than CP and Davis made 2 Pro Bowls to CP's 1. I'm just saying, you could make a decent argument that if one is worthy, so is the other one.

If Sean had had a career ending injury nobody would've demanded he be in the Ring. Different circumstance.

No! What has he done to benefit the 'Skins? Granted he's rushed over a 1,000 yds. two or three times and he's a good pass-blocker, but other than that there's nothing to "crow" about. A great running back gets us to Super Bowls, gains yardage even without a great O-line (e.g. Barry Sanders), and most importantly stays healthy (this is luck). CP is a good running back, but not a great running back, and has done nothing great to warrant acceptance into the "Ring-of-Fame."

1) Single season rushing record.

2) Two playoff appearances thanks to his rushing.

3) Every season he wasn't injured (which is I think 3) he has hit 1000 yards, so it's more like 5 or 6.

Yes, Clinton Portis should be in the Redskins Ring of Fame if he retires a Redskin. He owns the team's single season rushing record. He's represented the Redskins in the Pro Bowl. He's not that far from breaking John Riggins's team record in yards rushing. Portis has played extremely hard for this franchise. The only thing Portis doesn't have is a Super Bowl ring.

I always thought CP was full of **** when he called the fans a bunch of haters. After looking at the poll results, Hell, maybe he is right.

If Phil Hockberg, Gene Brito, Sean Taylor, Wayne Milner and Bubba Tyer are there so should Clinton Portis who is second in all time rushing for a franchise with a 70+ year history.

The problem is, Portis never gave it his all here. He got fat in the offseason and only when his contract has reasons for him to workout in the offseason did he really care to come into the season at full force. Look at this year... it took Shanny getting here to get him into shape and lose some weight. My guess is Portis looks back on his years here and wishes he had done more.

Sure, he had a lot of yards, but that's more a product of our new offensive-happy NFL as of late than of him being something spectacular.

Sure, he had a lot of yards, but that's more a product of our new offensive-happy NFL as of late than of him being something spectacular.

What? By offense happy, I think you must mean "pass happy". How has that helped Portis? I can't think of anything that makes running the ball easier in this era, unless you're talking about running for a team that has a great passing attack. Which we haven't.

If anything, its much harder to put together a great offensive line in this era. So if you're on a team without a good passing attack to take the pressure off....it might just be harder to run the ball now. Especially if you play in the NFC East, with tough defenses.

The problem is, Portis never gave it his all here. He got fat in the offseason and only when his contract has reasons for him to workout in the offseason did he really care to come into the season at full force. Look at this year... it took Shanny getting here to get him into shape and lose some weight. My guess is Portis looks back on his years here and wishes he had done more.

Did he really not work out? How does anyone get that big without working out?

polls on here are useless. someone always monkeys with them. if you pay attention, you can see the numbers skyrocket at certain times.
This. Thesse poll results are incredible! I simply cannot believe that many fans feel CP is not worthy of the ring of fame. I know there are a few Portis haters, but the majority posting in this thread seem to be saying yes, and rightly so. As has already been said:

-Only Riggins has rushed for more yards as a Redskin.

-Portis holds the Redskins single season rushing record.

-The few good times we have had this decade have been when Portis carried us.

-It would be especially fitting to put CP's name up next to Sean Taylor's.

With any luck, Portis will be back here next year. I think he still has the ability if he can stay healthy.

Well... If I gave you these numbers, which of these guys would you say is Ring of Fame worthy?

A) 3.8 YPC, 57.6 YPG, fumbles on 2.6% of touches, scores a TD on 2.2% of touches

Receiving: 10.4 Yards Per Reception, 8.4% of touches a TD, 24.4 Yards Per Game

B) Rush: 4.1 YPC, 81.2 YPG, 1% Fumble:Carry, 2.75 TD:Carry

Receiving: 7.6 YPRec, 1.7% TD:Rec, 16 Yards Per Game

C) Rush: 4.2 YPC, 58.5 YPG, 1.3% Fum:Carry, 3.2% TD:Carry

Receiving: 8.0 YPRec, 2% TD:Rec, 11.8 YPG

D) Rush: 3.8 YPC, 65.5 YPG, 1% Fum:Carry, 3.9% TD:Car

Receiving: 8.4 YPRec, 4.9% TD:Rec, 11.9 YPG

E) Rush: 4.8 YPC, 29.9 YPG, 10.1% Fum:Carry, 1.1% TD: Car

Receiving: 15.3 YPR, 11% TD:Rec, 22.4 YPG

F) Rush: 3.9 YPC, 17.6 YPG, 5.8% Fum: Car, 3.5 TD:Car

Receiving: 17 YPRec, 15.2% TD:Rec, 15.8 YPG

Archived