Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Clinton Portis make the Redskins Ring of Fame?

Gart Monk

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i think that each era should be represented in the Ring, but unfortunately all eras are not created equal.

you have Sean Taylor already in, and then it probably comes down to Samuels, Portis, and Cooley.

is there really space for FOUR players from this genearlly putrid Redskins era to be commemorated in the Ring of Honor? Maybe, maybe not.

if I were to rank them, though, i would probably rank them

1/in - ST

2 - Chris Samuels

3 - Portis

4 - Cooley

Portis does become #2, however, if he somehow (and really, i personally dont think its very likely) breaks the team rushing record.

i think that at least Samuels will get in, especially if he continues helping out with the OL. i hope Portis gets in, but im not positive he will.

YES YES AND YES

per redskins.com........ Regarded as one of the NFL’s most talented running backs in the last decade, Clinton Portis has rushed for 9,696 career yards and 73 rushing touchdowns in eight NFL seasons. He totaled over 1,000 yards rushing in a single season for the sixth time in his career (fourth time with the Redskins) in 2008. Entering the 2010 season, he ranks second all-time in club history in rushing yards (6,597). Portis was named 2002 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and he was also selected to the 2003 and 2008 Pro Bowls.

With that description how could you say NO :D

No! What has he done to benefit the 'Skins? Granted he's rushed over a 1,000 yds. two or three times and he's a good pass-blocker, but other than that there's nothing to "crow" about. A great running back gets us to Super Bowls, gains yardage even without a great O-line (e.g. Barry Sanders), and most importantly stays healthy (this is luck). CP is a good running back, but not a great running back, and has done nothing great to warrant acceptance into the "Ring-of-Fame."

Of course he should. If guys like Ken Harvey - who never won Jack as a Redskin - make the ring, so should CP. It's for the best players of all eras. Some time your best player is Darrell Green. Sometimes it's Ken Fisher. Sometimes it's Clinton Portis.

Well Harvey was named to 4 consecutive Pro Bowls while with the skins. Portis made 1 in 2008.

No! What has he done to benefit the 'Skins? Granted he's rushed over a 1,000 yds. two or three times and he's a good pass-blocker, but other than that there's nothing to "crow" about. A great running back gets us to Super Bowls, gains yardage even without a great O-line (e.g. Barry Sanders), and most importantly stays healthy (this is luck). CP is a good running back, but not a great running back, and has done nothing great to warrant acceptance into the "Ring-of-Fame."

Great, now we have fans knocking Portis because he isn't freakin' Barry Sanders. Wonderful. How the hell would he have carried any of the loser teams we've had this decade to a Superbowl. He got us to round 2 of the playoffs which was the best since 1999 on a team with one receiver and tight end.

We never should've changed him into a workhorse back. Who knows what his numbers would've been if he'd stayed in Denver.

The Ring is for individual achievement. He's #2 all time in Skins rush yards and has the best rushing season in Skins history....I guess Dan Marino shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame because he never won a Superbowl.

Well Harvey was named to 4 consecutive Pro Bowls while with the skins. Portis made 1 in 2008.

Lavar made a couple in a row to and Clinton had pro bowl years in 05 and 07 but you should know the voting process, when he made it in 2008 he had 1000 yards at the half way mark of the season.

So now you're changing the criteria. You said if a player didn't contribute to a deep playoff run, they don't belong. Again please let us know when you have your petition ready to have Sonny Jurgensen removed from the ROF.

And let me add Clintons 1 pro bowl is exactly one more than John Riggins earned for the Redskins.

It comes all crashing down doesn't it?

Yes. But I was on the fence for a while

And Doug Williams should not be there (and Rypien shouldn't sniff it). Nothing personal. I have very fond memories of Williams and Ryp. But they don't belong any more than Timmy Smith belongs. ROF should require more than just 1 great season, no matter how great it was. I suspect Lombardi doesn't belong either, but well before my time. Obviously you must respect the man. But for our organization? Doesn't really make sense. There are a number of older guys who I know nothing about, but you look at them only being on the team like 3 years and have to wonder what they did in their time to merit ROF induction.

No, IMO the ring of fame is to memorialize a noteworthy player who not only played the game with great ability, but was a great representation of what it meant to be a "Redskin." While CP played with great ability, I would not want to include a player who complained about playing in pre-season games to his HOF Coach while dressed as a pimp. London Fletcher deserves this honor, CP does not.

I'd need to know all the names that are already up there which I don't off the top of my head, but I'll say no. Without knowing the exact names, I'd probably guess that all the names up there are beloved, legends, or contributed to winning Super Bowls. Neither of those two things apply.

Not to be mean, but Sean Taylor is up there. Yes he was on his way to a possible great career, but he was here for 4 years. CP has made a big impact on this team and could be the all-time leading rusher in Redskin history. He belongs in the Ring of Fame.

Archived