Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else concerned about McNabb running out?

H-O-G

Only thing that concerned me was that he starting holding his groin a little bit.

I noticed him poking at his left groin area as well. I think if you notice, thats the side he like to slide on and may have had a lot to do with running out of bounds.

It was a really really dumb play. I hope Shanny read him the riot act after the game was over. Once you get the first down, the extra yards aren't important---the clock is.

He probably won't make that mistake again.

Also, can we please get Stephon Heyer the hell out of there??? Who the hell Heyered him?

With about 3 minutes left, mcnabb scrambled for a first down and instead of taking the easy slide inbounds that would take the clock close to the 2 minute warning, he jogs out of bounds...It wasn't a smart football play, anyone else care about it when it happened like I did?

I think he was just so happy to have gotten the first down after nothing was available he wasn't quite thinking clearly. You know, its like "Theres no way i'm getting out of this, theres no way i'm getting out of this, WOW I'M OUT OF IT" I'm not worried about it the important thing was that he got the first down when absolutely nothing was available. Quarterbacks of yesteryear would have just fell down....

I'm not going to get on his case too bad, he made a good play. I'm more inclined to blame Heyer for the dumb FS penalty that turned a 3rd and 3 to 3rd and 8. We probably would have converted the 3rd and 3 - given how the running game was going.

jeez you guys are nit-picking, maybe McNabb should have done a campbell and sat in the pocket waiting for a sack. Be glad the guy ran out

I know right. I would have like to seen him fake going out of bounds and then truck the guy coming

at him. He would have stayed in bounds and sent them dummies a message for trading him.

But thats just me. :D

When it happened, I was yelling "slide, slide, slide" at the tv. But I figure that in the heat of the moment, he didn't feel comfortable sliding. He still did what he had to do to pick up a crucial first down, but he may have been concerned about the DE who was a few steps behind him.

Even if a late hit would have caused an Eagles penalty, it may have led to worse things for us.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the iggles would have called a TO if he stayed in bounds. I too said wth when he stepped out, but the iggles were going thru the TO's so staying in wouldn't have taken any more time off the clock.

Yes, but then the would have been forced to use a time out instead of getting the clock stopped for free. The ended up using all their time outs when we had the ball so it would have ran off an additional 40 seconds.

Basically, the Eagles got the ball back with 1:07 left in the game instead of 0:27 left in the game. That's a huge swing. Remember, with 40 seconds left on the clock the eagles were still on their own 35.

It's similar to the play in the Cowboys game when LJ ran out of bounds stopping the clock. It ended up giving the cowboys an extra 40 seconds at the end of the game and a shot at the end zone.

I was very pissed and probably yelled at my friend about it more than he cared to hear haha. Between that play, not scoring the whole second half to put the game away, and Rogers dropping ANOTHER game ending interception, I was about to start breaking things.

I was listening to Sonny Jurgenson on WTEM this morning and he said McNabb stepped out of bounds because he tweaked something in his leg and sliding may have made it worse. It may have been a cramp or something, as it didn't seem to bother him moments later but Sonny said he saw Donovan reach down and grab his leg after the play.

I didn't see this myself and I was agonizing over the clock like most of you when he stepped out, but it sounds plausible.

With about 3 minutes left, mcnabb scrambled for a first down and instead of taking the easy slide inbounds that would take the clock close to the 2 minute warning, he jogs out of bounds...It wasn't a smart football play, anyone else care about it when it happened like I did?

I really don't think it's anything to get mad about. He probably wanted to avoid a possible hit. You would think the same thing too if you were actually a QB on the field. Sometimes those minor shoulder hits from the defense can really lay you down. Yes, the clock would have continued to tick if he didn't run out, but look at the outcome. We still won the game. Not everything is going to be perfect. I'm impressed that he did as good as he did. I still think he would look more explosive with taller wide outs and keeping Santana Moss in the slot. Did anyone see Terell Owens stats for the Bengals vs Cleveland? He did pretty good that game. I still wish Shanahan had picked him up. McNabb would have had someone good to throw to on the wide out. Look at it like this. Owens vs Galloway. Galloway has not been getting under the ball, but for some reason still has a spot out there on the field. Owens can normally get under the ball on a deep route and can jump for the catch in double coverage. Do you think Galloway will do all that for us? Answer is no. It would be good to go after Randy Moss while we still have the chance.

I was yelling at the TV after that play. STAY INBOUNDS.Why? Because:

but then the Eagles would have been forced to use a time out instead of getting the clock stopped for free. They ended up using all their time outs when we had the ball so it would have ran off an additional 40 seconds.

Basically, the Eagles got the ball back with 1:07 left in the game instead of 0:27 left in the game. That's a huge swing. Remember, with 40 seconds left on the clock the eagles were still on their own 35.

Mental error by Donovan. I'm glad he's a Redskin, but it was not one of his better games, especially in the second half.

i have a bigger issue with his constant decisions to throw a deep ball on third and short/medium when we have a commanding lead, late in the game, and should be playing a field position battle.

i want them to go deep, and i want them to extend the field - hell you never know when you're going to get a PI. but when you have the lead, and you need 5 yards to kick a field goal to go up 3 scores, or to get a first down with 3 minutes left, and you go for a 30-40 yard bomb when the guy is covered... just doesn't seem to like smart football to me

in this game, that decision lead to a punt that put philly on their own 26 (bad punt), and they came down the field and made it a 5 point game. skins then go 3 and out (i believe) and philly gets a last second chance to win and almost did.

they've got to do better with the ball in the clutch like that.

Yeah it was a mental mistake but he converted the third down that was more important. I understand the Eagles probably dont even get that last drive if he doesnt run out of bounds but the defense not stopping them on 4th and 10 that last drive is more of a concern.

Yea, I did notice that. Kolb almost got that TD throw, but his receiver dropped it and Hall grabbed it for the interception. Good work on Hall's part. But I agree. If the dude hadn't of dropped it, it would have been good for a TD and Skins would have lost. That made my heart skip a beat. I will say that we need better people for the secondary. Carlos Rogers must be replaced. How many easy interceptions is he going to miss this season. That ball was right in his hand, but he saved Kolb a tone of bad press by not catching it. Not sure how many years Rogers still has left on his contract, but after it's done, I don't see Bruce Allen re-signing him. If Carlos Roger had gotten the interception, it never would have gotten to 4th down.

It drove me nuts as well, but as has been said, it's what we do.. At least one of the 11 guys on the field looses their mind, anytime a game ending play presents itself.. Mac out of bounds, Heyer with his false starts, another 4th & 10 and we look like Laurel n Hardey chasing around a "played to pefection" hook and ladder, another Carlos "stubs" Rogers dropped int, and finally the hail mary that should of ended us.. Just the way it happens for us, for whatever reason.. I guess it builds character, who knows.. :ols:

Archived