Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else concerned about McNabb running out?

H-O-G

With about 3 minutes left, mcnabb scrambled for a first down and instead of taking the easy slide inbounds that would take the clock close to the 2 minute warning, he jogs out of bounds...It wasn't a smart football play, anyone else care about it when it happened like I did?

Nope. He got the first, and extended the play clock with extra downs. Sometimes it is OK to do that.

Play is over and done with. Hindsight is always 20/20 he got the first down. I'm more pissed at Heyer for making the game complicated with his predictable false start on 2nd and 3...

This is not a "perfect-in-hindsight / it-could-have-gone-either-way" decision like quibbling over whether he should have cut inside or should have thrown to a different receiver who was open. There is only one correct decision in this situation in order to significantly raise the odds of winning the game. The only correct choice was to slide in-bounds and keep the clock going. Either McNabb forgot the situation in the heat of the moment (as a Skins fan, I hope this is the reason) or he does not understand the situation (my fear).

If McNabb had stayed in bounds, the Eagles would NEVER have had the chance to win the game at the end. If he makes that same bad decision ten times, the other team probably steals a sure victory from the Redskins one or two times. They should have lost yesterday. That is not acceptable.

I can forgive that McNabb under- and over-threw all twelve of the wide open receivers that the Redskins had in the first four games; that is just a lack of deep-ball talent. And, if he hit just 1/4 of those wide open receivers, the Redskins would be 4-0 right now. But, you cannot forgive him for stupidity. I had high hopes for the Skins because of him, if only for a year or two, but I am a very disappointed fan today.

And, I am beginning to question how Skins receivers have been able to get so open this year so often. Is it because the defensive game plans reflect the fact that McNabb is not a deep threat so defenses focus on defending the underneath?

Anyone questioning McNabb on that play needs to go re-watch the play and see that he clearly tweaked his groin at the end of the run. He didn't need to risk further injury by risking getting hit as with three or four Eagles closing in for a hit on him sliding wasn't an option.

I'm more concerned about 14 points in the 1st quarter to 3 for the rest of the game. As strong as we came out, we shouldn't have been in the position we were at the time. We should've ripped the Eagles in half.

McNabb played meh all game, but I'll chalk it up to a bad line and nerves. Yeah, we ran the ball well, but against a really weak front 7. The line on passing attempts was horrendous. How many times did you see Rabach, in true Rabach fashion, trip McNabb when McNabb hiked it? How many times did you see McNabb deftly avoid pressure just so the line could get credit at the end of the day and him get skewered?

I dont understand why it needs to be a concern. QB's, even vets arent perfect. For a split second he probably had a lapse in judgement. Im sure his main concern was getting the first down and he probably forgot to stay in bounds. Nothing to be concerned about. Now if he does that 3 more times on different occasions then yes you can be concerned.

Anyone questioning McNabb on that play needs to go re-watch the play and see that he clearly tweaked his groin at the end of the run. He didn't need to risk further injury by risking getting hit as with three or four Eagles closing in for a hit on him sliding wasn't an option.

It doesn't strain a groin to fall down. That's all he had to do. Fall down. Then the clock keeps running or Philly has to burn a precious timeout. Mental lapse there from Donovan.

I guess nobody read my post, but like I said- Sonny was WTEM this morning saying McNabb tweaked his leg or groin on that play. Apparently he thought it was safer to step out over sliding.

I was going to post that and it was mentioned again on 980AM sportsreporters and 106.7 the fan

The highest priority was to get the first down, second to not take a hit and force Grossman to be our starter, third was to slide and milk an extra 25 seconds. I am totally fine with him running out of bounds, someone was near by and there was a small chance he takes a hit as he starts to slide.

I loved him taunting the fans that heckled him on his grounders. He got caught up in the emotion perhaps but it was his day, lets give him a break.

It doesn't strain a groin to fall down. That's all he had to do. Fall down. Then the clock keeps running or Philly has to burn a precious timeout. Mental lapse there from Donovan.

He wasn't in a position to fall down--the Eagles defenders were closing in on him near the sideline--he would have taken a hit to stay inbounds.

He wasn't in a position to fall down--the Eagles defenders were closing in on him near the sideline--he would have taken a hit to stay inbounds.

I did notice that. He got the first down, but by the time he did they were too close to him to dive. I think they'll watch film and he'll find a way to slide next time.

Um.... If he slides and gets hit, it's a penalty against the eagles.

Yes that true but if he gets hit and gets injured then the 15 yards in the general shceme of things will be inrelevant. I would rather have a healthy McNaab than a 15 yards gain via a hitting penalty.

Concerned? No.

But I knew he blundered by going out of bounds the moment it happened. I turned to my Fiance and told her right then and there that he made a mistake by not continue to milk the clock. It was a wonderful play by McNabb to scramble and get the first down, but a big part of the QB's job in that situation is time management and McNabb failed in that regard.

Archived