Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Listened to this game on Sirius on my drive to Ocala today.  Was really kinda enjoying the idea of tanking to the Knicks...but Johnson and Connor got me all fired up down the stretch.  Rolling through bum**** kakalaki in my 420hp Lincoln at 90 mph while doing “the snake” behind the wheel.

Go Wiz!

Edit: Finally looking at the box score.  Porter/Dekker with 30 and 16 off the bench is delightful.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

We came out of the gate slow (again) and were down by double digits the whole first half.  When we were down by like 16 or something in the 3rd I turned it off.  Imagine my surprise reading the paper this morning.  And on a goal tending call with less than 1 second on the clock in a foreign country?  

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bryant was pumped.  Really like that kid.  I hope we don't strangle the passion and fun out of basketball for him.

He kinda annoys me. I'm sure its 100% genuine, but his emotion looks manufactured

I'm broken. I cant even smile at the comeback victories because i know where that road ultimately leads

2 of my teams have killed my passion. All i got left is baseball and Liverpool.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

This team was always a playoff team. They had two of the best guards in the East yet inexplicably started off the year so badly. Now that the season is in full swing they are getting the job done. Doesn't hurt that Ariza is there again. 

The worst outcome for this team is that the season is redeemed in a “comeback” story narrative, a 6th/7th seed and a first round exit. 

Ernie gets another lifeline, the Wizards get another mediocre mid-round draft choice and this team continues its path of putrid mediocrity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The worst outcome for this team is that the season is redeemed in a “comeback” story narrative, a 6th/7th seed and a first round exit. 

Ernie gets another lifeline, the Wizards get another mediocre mid-round draft choice and this team continues its path of putrid mediocrity. 

Exactly.

We need to tank. Bottom out. Then either rebuild legit or try to pair Wall and Beal with a lotto pick.

We aren't beating the Bucks or Raptors either way.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

He kinda annoys me. I'm sure its 100% genuine, but his emotion looks manufactured

He's corny but I think it's refreshing.  I could do without the floor slapping on defense, but I love how hard he plays.  The ferocious putbacks, the rim runs and dead sprints to get back on D and fill the middle lane on the break are things we haven't had in a big man in the Wall era.  We've had so many bigs who are turds.  Blatche -- lazy AF chucker.  McGee - complete moron.  Seraphin -- clueless fouling machine.  Nene -- surly loafer who spent all of his time complaining.  Gortat -- softy.  Keef -- lazy tool who doesn't rebound, set picks, or play defense.  Mahinmi -- where to start?  Nicholson -- cost us a first round pick to dump.  Jason Smith -- bless his heart, he's not very good.  Dwight -- here for a cup of coffee before disappearing due to a tranny scandal.

I'm riding the wave of finally having a center who plays hard and doesn't completely suck.

I've given up on hoping the Wizards win a championship too.  I know they're not going to.  But I've also given up on my hopes for the NBA as a whole.  I still watch it a couple times a week because it's an entertaining sideshow, but it's a lot easier to tolerate when you accept that it's a joke.  It's the WWE of pro team sports.  Eventually you kind of outgrow taking it seriously, but I think it's a shame.  Basketball is a truly great sport and it deserves a great pro league.

Basically I now have the very modest expectation that I want to see our individual players play well, give effort, and have fun.  If I get to see those things, I can still enjoy spending two and a half hours watching a game even if we are never legitimately competitive.

As for the Redskins, I'm not giving up on them.  The ownership is God Awful and Bruce Allen is a piece of crap and a failure.  But I don't actually think their future is bleak.  Football is different.  The NFL is different.  It's a real league.  The ****tiest team in the history of the league is only ever like two good drafts away from being 8-8.  If the Redskins bungle their way into a Dwayne Haskins or Kyler Murray they'll win 10 or 11 games next year and be back on track.  And this happening just one year after ****ing the dog at the QB position.  The Redskins have been a first rate franchise and they can get back to that level.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

As for the Redskins, I'm not giving up on them.  The ownership is God Awful and Bruce Allen is a piece of crap and a failure.  But I don't actually think their future is bleak.  Football is different.  The NFL is different.  It's a real league.  The ****tiest team in the history of the league is only ever like two good drafts away from being 8-8.  If the Redskins bungle their way into a Dwayne Haskins or Kyler Murray they'll win 10 or 11 games next year and be back on track.  And this happening just one year after ****ing the dog at the QB position.  The Redskins have been a first rate franchise and they can get back to that level.

I have accepted the skins wont be consistently good under snyder. The best we can hope for is one magical season when everything falls our way. Thought it was going that way in 2012, but we know what happened

Edited by StillUnknown

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

I have accepted the skins wont be consistently good under snyder. The best we can hope for is one magical season when everything falls our way. Thought it was going that way in 2012, but we know what happened 

Aside from New England, that's kind of how the league is set up.  The Eagles won 13 games and the SB last year, then this year they won 9 and got bounced in the first round.  No repeat SB winners in 14 years.  You can slant the odds in your favor a little bit each year if you luck into a HoF-bound QB, but that's no guarantee of anything really.  Everyone is hoping to capture the magic and have their best players stay healthy and make a run.

I'm actually feeling bullish about the Redskins because I like the last two drafts that we had.  Quarterback is a massive need and we won't do anything next season without one.  But you only need to find one right QB.  Probably picking too late for Murray or Haskins, and they would be that guy IMO.  But you never know with the draft.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Aside from New England, that's kind of how the league is set up.  The Eagles won 13 games and the SB last year, then this year they won 9 and got bounced in the first round.  No repeat SB winners in 14 years.  You can slant the odds in your favor a little bit each year if you luck into a HoF-bound QB, but that's no guarantee of anything really.  Everyone is hoping to capture the magic and have their best players stay healthy and make a run.

No matter how great Tom Brady is (and I have no problem proclaiming him the GOAT at this point) I'll always credit Belichick for the Pats' repeated playoff/Super Bowl successes. There are plenty of HOF-bound QBs out there who put up insane numbers every season but only New England rises to (or very near) the cream of the crop every single year. That's coaching and that's RARE. A great QB is a large ingredient but a brilliant coach is the necessity for a multi-year run or a "dynasty."

(I suppose a little bit of cheating doesn't hurt either.)  :)

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I'm broken. I cant even smile at the comeback victories because i know where that road ultimately leads

2 of my teams have killed my passion. All i got left is baseball and Liverpool.

My DC sports related friends have wondered where I've been lately. I just can't muster the gusto these days. Can't find the love. I'm broken too, homey.

One friend asked me if I were ever truly a fan if I can't stay involved during the rough seasons. My response?

"I'm 52 years old. I've seen a crap-ton of rough seasons in Washington and I'm tired. I'm real tired."

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

Ariza brings so much energy to the court.  I know that the right move is probably to deal him away, tank, and open up playing time for Devin Robson and Troy Brown.

But I would hate to lose Ariza again.  He's such a positive influence on the team-wide level of effort and concentration.

When the team defends and rebounds like this, and flies around away from the ball on offense like they're doing today... and when Bryant and Porter are playing this well... this team feels like it's a blue chip PG and a couple of bench guys away from being pretty good.  The only serious problems are the rim protection and the wasting of so many possessions from not being able to break a half court defense down and generate a good shot.

This team has been playing really well even with Wall hurt. I  think they probably make the playoffs and get bounced by Toronto or Milwaukee, but this was a team that everyone thought was tanking for Zion a few weeks ago. Amazing how everything turned around so fast. It just goes to show you the roster had talent all along. 

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

This team has been playing really well even with Wall hurt. I  think they probably make the playoffs and get bounced by Toronto or Milwaukee, but this was a team that everyone thought was tanking for Zion a few weeks ago. Amazing how everything turned around so fast. It just goes to show you the roster had talent all along. 

Is your scenario supposed to be considered a positive?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Is your scenario supposed to be considered a positive?

I kind of want to see if they can make the playoffs without Wall.  I think the assumption has largely been that they can't, that he carries the team.  Also a bunch of them are playing for contracts.  While I realize the Wizards would benefit from a great draft pick, I find it hard to root against Sato, Bryant, and even Dekker. 

19 minutes ago, Destino said:

I kind of want to see if they can make the playoffs without Wall.  I think the assumption has largely been that they can't, that he carries the team.  Also a bunch of them are playing for contracts.  While I realize the Wizards would benefit from a great draft pick, I find it hard to root against Sato, Bryant, and even Dekker.  

Add Ariza to that list.  I want him back next season too.

Guard: Wall, Beal, Sato

Forward: Otto, Ariza, Dekker, Maybe Troy Brown (hopefully)

Center: Bryant

That's 8 players who are keepers IMO.  You need one more legitimately good guard, and one more PF/center who is a legit rim protector and who can mach Bryant's energy.  That'd be 10 and we'd at least have a shot at competing with the other 10+ deep rosters in the East, even if our top end talent can't match them.

Still thin though.  And poorly coached.  And expensive--have to assume we won't be getting back any of our free agents on team friendly deals.  And Ariza is getting up there in age.  And Wall needs to stay healthy.  And there is still now chance we could match up with any of the good teams in the West.

But I've given up hope of this team winning a championship.  I just want to see good basketball.