Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This game is a great example of why John has to shoot in addition to driving to the basket. They had the same defense set to deny Wall penetration and he just jump shot them to death. If he can do that consistently the defense has to adjust and he can once again drive to the basket. He can't do one or the other and be successful in the postseason, he's got to have plan B if the defense takes something away.

• Like 3

02:45 in the morning here and I have no chance of going to sleep anytime soon I'm so hyped after that performance.  I'll say it again: for a young team learning all about the play offs, in a win or go home game after game 4, that was incredible.

Who else was telling their TV they believe in John too during the post game interview?

Hands up if you added that you didn't stop believing :)

• Like 1

This game is a great example of why John has to shoot in addition to driving to the basket. They had the same defense set to deny Wall penetration and he just jump shot them to death. If he can do that consistently the defense has to adjust and he can once again drive to the basket. He can't do one or the other and be successful in the postseason, he's got to have plan B if the defense takes something away.

He needs to spend his offseason practicing floaters.

• Like 1

Paul George with a disappearing act. I was so worried after the full Lebron. Love the job the coaching staff has done to get the team buying into defense. I loved it during last series, but team playing beyond my expectations here (note only games Ii can see are against LA). I said it way back but I love this group of guys. Wish for a miracle young big man... but Gooden might do the trick... he has been amazing.

I loved him taunting the crowd... WWF style. I love this teams effort. Whit needs some credit for that. I mean, these pieces have come together and are giving the #1 seed a huge run. It is so enjoyable to watch these games... this one in particular. Just like a video game....

He needs to spend his offseason practicing floaters.

That would be sound. Right now when Wall drives he has to always go right to the rim and a lot of times he gets blocked or his shot altered in some way. At 6'4'' though and with good hops if he could get the floater down he'd be even more lethal.

Really happy for Wall though. LOVED the energy he showed. He looked so lifeless and scared at the end of Game 4, to see him take the bull by the horns tonight was great to see. A real coming of age moment for him. Even if we lose the series, we may look back 10 years from now and say that was the moment Wall arrived in the NBA as a star.

John was already a star. And he's been shooting a tear drop since Kentucky and he went on a Tony Parker film binge like two years ago. The floater is a nice fallback option and he could get better at it, but at his size and speed, the best move for him is usually to take it all the way to the rim and finish or draw a foul.

I think the #1 thing for Wall is just experience. Get experience playing deep into the postseason. This was Wall's first season playing all 82 games and now he's at 92 games of major minutes. And these have been two exhausting match ups. Beating Chicago in 5 doesn't indicate just how grueling that series was. It's not just body fatigue, it's mental. I love that Wall was able to work through his fatigue and come up big for us last night. But it's also going to be a constant struggle from here on out. And on the other side, you've got an Indy team that's got some experience playing deeper into the playoffs.

But last night we flipped the script. Indy looked like the worn out team and we were the team playing with fire and energy and focus.

I thought we were done after that brutal game four, but I still believe we have the talent to match up with Indy. I don't even want to think about anything beyond next game. Let's go approach this next game quarter by quarter. Can't think about being eliminated.

wat a performance.

WAll and Gortat shut me up after that game. Gortat especially as he was truly terrible for most of this series.

If Wall can hit his jumper that consistently then he steps up the rankings. Really he has to be a 22-24 ppg scorer.

Shame I dont feel confident coming back to Verizon since the Wizards are not a good home team.

Fatigue is the worst excuse for young players.

We used to ball for hours on end with no subs and only breaks between the games, The stars are too young to be having fatigue problems. They play ball every day...seriously every day.

Someone stated something about the Bulls (being good or great)...the Bulls have no real scorers. None. How is that even a good team ? Bullets are playing well at times but that does not dismiss their faults.

Steve, Wall is a star player for guys like most of us...but the casual fan barely knows who he is. I think what was meant is superstar. He is not a superstar yet. If he doesn't continue to work on those turnovers and his shooting, a star will be all he ever is.

That said, I hope your boys can win the next two to face LeBron yet again...

A really good article by Wise (stick to Basketball, Wise).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/wizards-open-up-come-together-and-let-loose-on-pacers-in-game-5/2014/05/13/c3390b18-dafc-11e3-b745-87d39690c5c0_story.html?hpid=z1

Win or lose in game 6, I just them to carry over the same intensity and effort.  That game 5 is a game they can build on for the future.  I think team chemistry is often underrated in sports.  It's so important for Wall and Beal that they play with good guys like we have now, instead of the knuckleheads.  

Fatigue is the worst excuse for young players.

We used to ball for hours on end with no subs and only breaks between the games, The stars are too young to be having fatigue problems. They play ball every day...seriously every day.

Someone stated something about the Bulls (being good or great)...the Bulls have no real scorers. None. How is that even a good team ? Bullets are playing well at times but that does not dismiss their faults.

Steve, Wall is a star player for guys like most of us...but the casual fan barely knows who he is. I think what was meant is superstar. He is not a superstar yet. If he doesn't continue to work on those turnovers and his shooting, a star will be all he ever is.

That said, I hope your boys can win the next two to face LeBron yet again...

The basketball that you and I could play is nothing like what NBA players play. They're in ridiculous condition and they get worn down. All of them do. But players get better at dealing with experience. Wall will get there eventually.

The Bulls were a good team just like Memphis was a good team. They didn't have scorers either but they play defense better than everyone else except Indy and they don't beat themselves. When they get multiple guys into double figures, they are hard to beat. And in fact, the Bulls were the team the East was afraid to play in the first round. They were one of the best teams in the league post-All Star break, just really hot. They were probably the fourth best team in the East this year, and Brooklyn tanked to avoid them. They could have beaten Toronto, Brooklyn, Charlotte, and Atlanta IMO. But they ran into two big issues in the postseason. 1.) We were the third best team and had the balance to beat them. 2.) they'd been on a 7 man rotation for months, and Jimmy Butler was playing the whole game. They got worn out.

• Like 1