Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

People tripping saying we need to let Gortat and Ariza go, if we want to quickly jump back down to being a terrible team then yes we should not resign them.

Gortat is a must re-sign, I'm just hoping some other team doesn't offer him a ridiculous deal that forces us to go above and beyond to keep him. Love what Ariza brings, but you can't have that many resources tied into the SF position, gotta see what we have in Otto. Continued improvement from Wall & Beal should help offset whatever we lose in a transition from Ariza to Otto. I think we're still a playoff team without Ariza, not sure I feel the same if we lose Gortat without a capable replacement.

Edited by StillUnknown

Would anyone tag a 1st onto Martell just to get rid of his contract in a trade?

Two things:

1- We've already traded our 1st.

2- his contract isn't large enough to merit sacrificing a 1st to be rid of it. Nene's is though. The 13 million dollar injury is absolutely worth bundling just to be rid of it, sadly that pick is already traded.

Two things:

1- We've already traded our 1st.

2- his contract isn't large enough to merit sacrificing a 1st to be rid of it. Nene's is though. The 13 million dollar injury is absolutely worth bundling just to be rid of it, sadly that pick is already traded.

2015 1st is what I'm talking about but if the opportunity is there, I'd do it. Unlikely, but I'd be in favor of it. 

2015 1st is what I'm talking about but if the opportunity is there, I'd do it. Unlikely, but I'd be in favor of it. 

To get rid of Webster mid level deal?  I think you could just trade him outright, he's a good shooter and his deal is fairly standard when compared to other spot up shooters in the league.  

Gortat has to be brought back. That's a no-brainer. Nene should be the one being shipped, but I don't know how we can manage that. Time has to be invested into porter next year. Ariza isn't coming off the bench, and porter can't play the 2. Ariza is gone. While I would take ariza over Webster right now, it's in out own best interest to develop porter over ariza.

Wonder if the team will get pissed off if we let Ariza walk. Seems like the team is close to him. Seems like he's the kind of guy you like having as a teammate.

I think Gortat is an easy decision. Keep him. But Ariza is tough.

I don't want to lose him for nothing or for the team to lose their friend.

But I also don't want to have to deal Webster.

And I don't want Porter to be wasted.

I don't know what we should do.

Even if we lose the series, we may look back 10 years from now and say that was the moment Wall arrived in the NBA as a star.

I didn't note the time, at the time, but in the second half the Pacers scored on a few posessions and one of the replys was Wall taking the ball up and scoring the 3 (from watching the highlight vid posted below the post I'm replying to might have been with 7:19 left of the 3rd).  Didn't look anywhere else and imo it was the 'not so fast' moment of the game.  You score 2 more, building momentum.  Wall knocks down a 3 and that momentum.

But last night we flipped the script. Indy looked like the worn out team and we were the team playing with fire and energy and focus.

I thought we were done after that brutal game four.....

This was huge imo.  The mental growth of Wall was displayed for all to see and I'm still hyped over it and what it means going forward beyond this season.  Wasn't expecting it after game 4 and the long season in general :)

Porter doesnt necessarily need to gain that much weight. There are many long (somewhat*) thin players in this league that have been quite effective. Garnett, Livingston, Prince, Durant, etc. He will never gain the weight to be able to play as a 4, ever. Nor should we ever want him to gain that much weight. He's great at rebounding, pretty decent at defense, has high basketball iq, and has a great mid-range shot. Honestly, the most important thing for him is to practice his permiter shooting all summer.