Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We'll see....he'll have to prove himself.  If he can play to his supposed potential then it is a great deal for the Wizards.  Or he could flop.

I worry less about Wall and more about Grunfeld ability to put the proper pieces around him to do anything more than a one & done in the playoffs.

• Like 1

We'll see....he'll have to prove himself.  If he can play to his supposed potential then it is a great deal for the Wizards.  Or he could flop.

I worry less about Wall and more about Grunfeld ability to put the proper pieces around him to do anything more than a one & done in the playoffs.

That is important.  We are investing a ton in John Wall though, already have.  I've been critical enough of him in the past, I don't need to voice that again.  Dude needs to step up and play like the #1 overall pick.  I think he has underachieved by a fair margin.

We are far far way from making any noise in the playoffs.  If Beal and Porter can become consistent and dependable scorers, and Nene stays healthy, along with contributions from others, then maybe we can be a 6-8 seed.  And that is being optimistic.  The roster does not wow me.  Plus, we have Randy Wittman as a coach.

I suppose they felt they had to do this, but a guy who hasn't made an all star game, doesn't post elite numbers, and has had a very significant injury doesn't merit a max contract.

They're paying for potential. Hopefully, it works out.

Since steals became an official statistic, Wall is the fastest player to reach 2,200 points, 1,000 assists, 600 rebounds, 200 steals and 90 blocked shots.

Way to cherry pick certain benchmarks. :lol:

But we had no choice but to lock him up long term. We go as far as John Wall takes us.

The Nene deal is really going to haunt us if he can't get back into form.  I'd rather have Josh Smith at 13.5 million a year than Nene at 13 million.  Nene can play both the 4 and 5 which has value but he really looks to be on the decline and 13 points + 7 boards (both more than he managed last year) just isn't worth the price tag.  Last year Okafor was the better of the two bigs, hopefully Nene can reverse that this year because Okafor is going to be the one of the two departing.

Nene was hurt for so much of last year, he looked bad. Worn out. But early in the year he was very impactful. Nene's plantar fasciitis is a major limiting factor, and it led to the knee tendonitis that really slowed him. I hope he stayed off his feet this summer and got healthy.

When Nene is playing like Nene, his impact isn't captured by his numbers at all. He'll dominate a game and be a bruising interior presence for 30 minutes and only have like 12 or 13 points and 7 or 8 rebounds to show for it. Seems like that's the case for a lot of truly good big men. Marc Gasol & Hibbert & Noel specifically. Nene isn't the defender they are but he's a better offensive player than them.

We really need Nene to get healthy for this team to work as intended. If he comes back well this season, we'll be alright.

JSmoove is a frustrating player. His contract is better now, in line with his actual value. But he's not an easy guy to win with. He takes a lot away from the table whereas Nene really doesn't. Nene is efficient, selfless, and mature. You could plug him in and play him for every team in the league. Nene also ate Smith up when they matched up this season. And Nene can play C. I think their value is fairly close. In a vacuum, I'd take Smith. But for us, I'd take Nene, where our need for a legit big body and a C is more desperate.

More random stats

http://washingtonwizardsblog.monumentalnetwork.com/2013/07/31/wall-here-to-stay/index.jsp

He holds career averages of 16.9 points, 8.0 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.5 steals in 35.8 minutes per game in 184 career games (172 starts). Those numbers place him with Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson and Chris Paul as the only players in NBA history who have averaged or are currently averaging at least 16 points, eight assists and four rebounds for their career. 

Wall, who recently returned from his second consecutive summer as part of the USA Basketball Men’s National Team mini-camp, is also the fastest player (134 games) in NBA history to reach 2,200 points, 1,000 assists, 600 rebounds, 200 steals and 90 blocks (since steals and blocks became an official stat) and is the fastest active player to reach 900 career assists (111 games).

Last season, Wall averaged a career-high 18.5 points, a team-leading 7.6 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals in 32.7 minutes per game in 49 games (42 starts) after missing the first 33 games of the season due to a stress injury in his left patella. He joined LeBron James and Kobe Bryant as the only three players in the NBA last season to average at least 22.0 points, 7.0 assists, 4.8 rebounds and 1.6 steals from March 1 through the end of the season. 

Wall was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for games played March 11-17 after averaging 24.0 points, 11.0 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game while shooting .617 from the field, .800 from three-point range and .857 from the line while leading the Wizards to a 3-1 record. He scored a career-high 47 points vs. Memphis on March 25 and became the first player in NBA history to average at least 24 points, 11 assists, five rebounds, two steals, shoot at least .600 from the field, .800 from three-point range and .850 from the line in a four-game span.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Since steals became an official statistic, Wall is the fastest player to reach 2,200 points, 1,000 assists, 600 rebounds, 200 steals and 90 blocked shots.

Arbitrary statistics.  Wall is a step below the elite point guards at this point.  He'll need to earn that max deal.

Since steals became an official statistic, Wall is the fastest player to reach 2,200 points, 1,000 assists, 600 rebounds, 200 steals and 90 blocked shots.[/size]

Arbitrary statistics.  Wall is a step below the elite point guards at this point.  He'll need to earn that max deal.

The cutoffs are arbitrarily chosen. But the point is to show Wall is putting up a **** ton of numbers in a huge range of categories. The mere fact that he's putting up such a high volume in so many different types of stats is what's crazy. He stuffs the whole box score, doing the PG things, but also rebounding and blocking shots more like a SF than a PG. He's a remarkably complete player.

Wall was easily one of the best players at any position in the league in March and April once he finally got his legs under him. Like Still said, I'm not worried about him. I think he goes out and does his thing this year and everyone sees how good he is. I think there is a good chance he'll be mentioned along with Durant and Westbrook and Rose as one of the best young players in the game, not just ranked among the PGs.

• Like 1

Damn, Wall broke down crying when talking about the impact of his mother and other family members on his life.

He's going to be alright, like I said, I don't worry much about him.

The things I worry about are Beal's health, Nene's health, Webster's health, Okafor's health, and Otto's adjustment to the NBA. Wall is the least of my worries.

Crazy to think that a former #1 overall pick is underrated, especially one as hyped as Wall was, but I'm sorry, that's what he is at this point. It's almost like some people (not in here) consider him a bust or something. The guy is a legit player. I espect HUGE things from him this year. Definitely expecting an All Star appearance.

Sidenote, just curious, which PG's would you rank ahead of Wall right now. They talked about him on PTI today and Kornheiser gave a list of PG's that he believes he's behind (and with which cohost JA Adande agreed with). Just curious to your thoughts. Here's Kornheiser's list:

- Derrick Rose

- Chris Paul

- Deron Williams

- Ruseell Westbrook

- Rajon Rondo

- Kyrie Irving

- Damian Lillard

- Mike Conley

- Steph Curry

- Tony Parker

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I would put CP3/Rose/Rondo/Westbrook/Curry (assuming good health) over Wall.

Parker is better than him now, but he has a lot of miles. Not sure what to make to D-Will to be honest.

Wall & Irving are on the same plane IMO, both have extreme talent, but in different areas. I like Wall's potential, but Kyrie's floor is higher.

Lillard & Conley are a notch below.

If Wall comes close to his potential, he might not take a backseat to anyone on that list.

Edited by StillUnknown