Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/9/18/4745078/emeka-okafor-injury-herniated-disc-neck-wizards

When it rains, it pours. The announcement that Chris Singleton was going to miss 6-8 weeks with a foot injury sucked, but more for Singleton himself than the Wizards.

This announcement is a much bigger deal. Emeka Okafor, the team's starting center and one of the few key rotation players that did not get hurt last season, is out indefinitely with a herniated disc in his neck, the Wizards announced.

What a day.

It's not immediately clear when Okafor might return, but neck injuries are no joke. The injury is to the C4 cervical disc, which often causes pain in the arms and shoulder. My very brief understanding is that surgery is often not required to fix this kind of problem, unless it is severe. Nevertheless, going from recent experience with back/spine issues (I've been dealing with a large herniation in my L5 disc in my lower back since mid-July, though it's improved significantly since), it's really hard to say when Okafor's pain will go away and what his threshold for pain is. It's not easy to properly diagnose a back or spine injury.

Okafor's absence is a big problem because the Wizards don't exactly have a lot of frontcourt depth. Time for Kevin Seraphin and Jan Vesely to step up.

Okafor's absence is huge, our defense and rebounding will take a hit.

Ted will be moving those goalposts shortly.

Edited by StillUnknown

Who didn't see this coming. Player with injury history on a team notorious for having a ****ty conditioning and medical staff. 

Great to have his bloated contract take up so much cap space that we now have to rely on Seraphin and Vesely.

Seraphin may not be so bad. He's shown to be a decent role player but for some reason decided to be a giant black hole on offense last year.

Vesely on the other hand is total garbage and will never amount to anything in the NBA.

Ted should just post a blog blaming injuries for a bad season already.

I don't really care that Singleton is out.  He has no real position on this team.  Okafor is a big loss however, the team is going to be hurting on defense and on the boards.  Nene, Seraphin, Vesely, and Harrington... there isn't a good rebounder in the bunch.  Nene boxes out well, I guess that something.   

Edited by Destino

Not really gonna miss singleton all the much, although he did look like he improved in the summer league. Okafor, however, is really going to hurt us. Hopefully Seraphin takes advantage of the opportunity

I'd love to see Seraphin take that next step, the guy has great hook shots and he's strong as hell.  Hopefully he worked on some moves this offseason that get him to the free throw line to compliment his finesse moves.  

I'd love to see Seraphin take that next step, the guy has great hook shots and he's strong as hell.  Hopefully he worked on some moves this offseason that get him to the free throw line to compliment his finesse moves.  

I agree. I think once he becomes a full time starter, he will produce some good numbers for us. Dont really remember how good he was on defense, but that denver game he just couldnt miss on offense lol

He's over 270 pounds. One of our only true big bodies but he played so soft last season. Remember his first two years when he was setting bone-rattling picks and bodying up Dwight and Bynum and pushing them out of their spots?

What happened to that guy last season?

I'm really rooting for Seraphin to take the next step for us. It's year four, the front end of that window. He's got the size and movement skills and the touch to be a well rounded player and he's got the aggressiveness. He just doesn't have good instincts.

Vesely or Booker is also going to HAVE to work out this year. We can't be playing Al Harrington 20+ minutes a night at PF. Man, Okafor was a bad loss. Ugh.

Seraphin's problem is competency, he has some skill, just needs to actually realize when to and when not do certain things. I think the pressure of Okafor not being available could for him AND Vesely. Vesely's problem is confidence based, the lack of minutes last year just compounded problems. I still think Jan's rookie year wasn't THAT bad. I'm hoping Okafor will only be out 3 months or so, but I'll just assume he makes an April appearance. I'm not too worried about defense, we have fairly competent defenders...my only concern now is rebounding. Seraphin has to make ground there and it was nice to see Jan getting some boards in euro play. Booker is good on the glass as well, just can't stay healthy. 

Seraphin is also has slow feet, bad court vision, and can't be trusted to dribble. But we're talking about centers here, lots of incomplete players at the 5 in the league.

I agree. I think once he becomes a full time starter, he will produce some good numbers for us. Dont really remember how good he was on defense, but that denver game he just couldnt miss on offense lol

He's slow so his rotations are often late and he's not much of a rim defender. He's much better defending his man however and sometimes you need that, like say if you run into Hibbert in the post season. Guy is strong as a bull and no one has much success pushing him around.

• 3 weeks later...

Who put the Wizards preseason schedule together?  Damn.  Nets, Bulls, Heat, and Knicks?  Not exactly a positive energy booster.  The last two against the Pelicants and Pistons are a little better but the front line battle versus the Pistons is going to be brutal.  

First preseason game is tomorrow for those of you too lazy to click.  

Edited by Destino

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/otto-porters-class-act/2013/10/08/9630b5fc-2e8c-11e3-9ddd-bdd3022f66ee_story.html

What we do when we assume no one is paying attention demonstrates our true character.

On Friday, during a very stressful week for Washington, I looked to escape the madness for 30 minutes on what was a warm fall afternoon. I was reading The Post and eating a quick lunch at a table outside a local sandwich shop while a disheveled homeless man sat nearby, persistently and unsuccessfully asking anyone who walked by if he or she could “spare a sandwich.”

After about 25 minutes, Otto Porter Jr., the Georgetown basketball star and the Washington Wizards’ newest first-round draft pick, drove up, hopped out of his car and entered the shop. Mr. Porter soon exited with his sandwich and drink — but also with a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink for the homeless man. Mr. Porter then sat down next to the man, and they both enjoyed their sandwiches while making small talk.  

• Like 1

^None of the games are locally televised...****. I could have sworn all the games were televised last season by CSN.

I think tonight's is in NBA TV, probably because people want to see the Nets.

Edited by Destino