Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I learned the long 2 is still a staple of Wittman's offense.

We can't work the ball inside.  Chicago has been pressuring us on the 3 Pt line but we can't get it inside so our guys are settling for a couple dribbles then a long pull up.  They're also leaving the bigs open on pick and fades and you've got to take those.  But you've also got to make them and nobody is really making any jumpers except Martell.

The whole team looks very very sluggish.  I don't know if it's the weird venue and long travel time or what.  But they're playing like the over-matched team at regionals playing on the road at a new school for the first time, coming up against a better coached and more talented team. Their brains are a step slow and their mechanics have gone out the window.

But aside from a couple guys, Chicago has looked just as sluggish for most of the game too.  The game has been really low quality, slow motion basketball.

Ugh.  Bad passes, bad job catching the ball.

This is a pretty dreadful offensive lineup.  

That was an eyesore.

Well if Vesely starts the season at the 4 and Nene is forced to play the 5, i can guarantee that Nene will be injured within 5 games. Dude is as fragile as it gets, and certainly cant bang on the inside anymore. We have to put Seraphin at C to take the blows ( which 2 seasons ago was a great idea. But now he's got his antawn jamison game rolling). Or we make a trade right now. Any scenario that involves only Nene at C will result in the lottery again.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Nene is interchangeable at the 4 and 5.  He's an inside player that stays around the basket at both positions, and is comfortable playing on the low block as a traditional 4 or up at the mid/high post like a traditional 5.

I don't think it really matters what position Nene plays as far as injury likelihood.  He's going to be banging bodies no matter what.  He's just got a rugged playing style.

Here is a chart depicting the standard alignment I'm referring to: 

Posicoes-Basquete.jpg

Offensively, where Nene lines up is probably going to be determined more by who the 3 and the 4/5 are.  With shooters like Martell, Ariza, and Porter, we usually keep our 3s on the wing or in the corner behind the 3 pt line.  There is a lot of space for the bigs to operate.  If it's Vesely is the other big, then it makes sense to play Nene close to the rim on that low block because Vesely is more comfortable farther from the basket--used for facing up, cutting, running pick and rolls, high post passing, etc.  If it's Seraphin, then I'd put him on the low block and give him space by moving Nene farther from the basket because Seraphin's back to basket game is his best attribute as a player.

The main problem that I think you are getting at in your post is our lack of size outside Nene--for clearing out space on offense, taking up space on defense, bodying up opposing size, etc.  

Vesely is the only other true seven footer and he's skinny, a faceup player, not a banger.  Seraphin is a banger but he doesn't have the length of a true center.  Booker is even smaller.  Harrington is really a wing playing PF.  We can only realistically expect 25ish minutes a night from Nene, so that means we've got ~23 other minutes to fill with undersized players.  Eh.

Vesely is just going to have to come through for us.  He's going to have to stay healthy, give us a lot of minutes, and rebound and play like a big.  There aren't any other solutions on the roster and I doubt there's a deal out there for us to make that'll save us this season.

I can't wait to see Porter playing with Wall and Beal.  Beal has been so aggressive this preseason and the results have been awesome.  He's just one of those people that's good, doesn't over-think it, and things just work out for him.  He's a coach's dream.

That small ball lineup was surprisingly effective: Wall, Beal, Rice at SF, Ariza at PF, Ves at C.

Impressed with Wall's defense tonight.  He's been very opportunistic and has made a big presence on that side.

Beal went off in the first half, that backcourt will be fun to watch all year.

That drive and kick out to Beal on the right wing/corner is a thing of beauty.  It's like they're playing NBA2K.  If Beal keeps taking the ball inside strong too, it's going to be hard to cover both him and Wall.  What a dynamic pair.

We need another scoring presence though.  That's why I can't wait to see Porter get out there.  He gives them a nice weapon to operate from mid range and take advantage of all this floor space.

I'm pretty hyped up by the 3 point shooting right now.  It's awesome.  Webster + Ariza + Harrington + Beal is four nice 3 pt shooters.  If Porter or Rice demonstrates 3 point range, then 5 or 6.  Pretty sweet.