Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Earlier this year i would agree with you about mcgee' date=' but he has really been stepping it up. His defense is better, his rebounding is better, his shot blocking is still great, and he is expanding his offensive game. Also, he works great with Wall. Most importantly is that he has great hands inside. (although not so much on the rebound). You cant say the same for Yi, who couldnt cant catch the ball to save his life, and blatch who has no motivation whatsoever.[/quote']

The reason I have him as a back up and not a trade is because he's good for a short period of time, largely inconsistent, and still makes mistakes. He's a keeper but at this point not a starter if you can help it.

The reason I have him as a back up and not a trade is because he's good for a short period of time, largely inconsistent, and still makes mistakes. He's a keeper but at this point not a starter if you can help it.

I understand that, but he is a starter. As long as we have john wall, we need a fast athletic center to pair with him. Hes that guy. Now we need a spot up shooter, and a dominant power forward.

So, how many bonefide starters are on the Wizards?

Wall seems to be one in the making.

Is McGee, Young, Blatche, or Lewis starting material in the league or really do we have a team of back ups?

Wall is a starter on anybody's team obviously

McGee starts on most teams because its a weak position in the league right now.

Lewis is starter material

personally i think Young is best suited as a sixth man that can come in and light the scoreboard a few times

blatche only starts on a franchise that doesn't expect to win

Edited by StillUnknown

Agreed with whoever said that frontcourt is this team's weakness. It has been for years. I like McGee a lot and think he can improve significantly. Plus the dude has the ups of an antelope. Haven't seen much in terms of post moves from him though. Blatche is talented but is erratic as hell and is a pole, gets muscled by big PFs with ease. I'd say he's worth keeping though just because of his scoring. Are Seraphin and Booker going to contribute in the near future? I pray to god yes....but somehow our draft picks always end up being horrible. I honestly haven't seen them play much, don't even know if they are getting playing time. And yes Nick Young is a great scorer, but somehow I think he is better coming off the bench. He conserves energy and can be a sparkplug. Either way for us now it is irrelevant. Rashard Lewis is a great player so I think we need to hold onto him, regardless of his age and contract situation.

Jianlian (what is this guy's deal?), Armstrong, Hinrich, Thornton (I used to think dude was nice), Howard (still think he can contribute, just gets injured all the time)......I dunno. Looking at that squad you'd think we'd be better. But the sad truth is that only Lewis and Wall in the future start on anyone other squad. When I get home I'm gonna go out of my way to watch a few games to see exactly how bad we are. I hope we have all our draft picks, because we need to draft a stud PF very badly and anyone else who can score and defend.

Edited by abdcskins

I was at the game tonight, and I can assure you...it was just as ugly in person as it was on TV. I was with a few friends and they agreed with what I have been saying for a long time...Blatche is terrible. But most of the team was bad as well. But on the bright side, I got to meet Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier. Tremendous guys....both class acts.

"Chuckers" don't score at high efficiency like Nick does. He might not rebound and assist a whole lot but the guy is a damn good scorer in this league.

He's the 146th most efficient player in the NBA right now. He's cut from the same cloth as guys like Eddie House. A one-trick pony. Take away his scoring, and then what? Again...I'd like to see him become a 6th man, but the wizards have a severe lack of talent at the 2 and thus, Nick Young is getting those starters minutes by default.

he may be a "chucker" caus he takes kobe bryant shots fading away but he make enough for me to think hes a beast.

Ok...with that rationale, I'm a believer now. You convinced me. He's a beast.

He's the 146th most efficient player in the NBA right now. He's cut from the same cloth as guys like Eddie House. A one-trick pony. Take away his scoring, and then what? Again...I'd like to see him become a 6th man, but the wizards have a severe lack of talent at the 2 and thus, Nick Young is getting those starters minutes by default.

Taken from another board:

Nick Young's averages since becoming a starter:

20 points, 3 boards, 1.3 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.2 blocks, .500 eFG%, .439 3P%.

He scores a lot with decent efficiency. That efficiency looks better when you realize that his team posts an eFG% of just .470 (4th worst in the league). That means Young is posting respectable efficiency numbers despite being the best offensive option for his team and a focus of opposing defenses.

Young leads his team in on/off differential at +7.4.

Young is also a very good defender who's counterpart posts an average PER of just 12.3 - one of the best numbers in the league for a shooting guar

d.

You are severely underrating him. He's certainly not Eddie House.

You are severely underrating him. He's certainly not Eddie House.

Nick Young may not be eddie house. But he is not a starter. He only starts for us because we have no one else who can score. Most of those stats are skewed because nick was a 6th man for half the season.

Nick Young may not be eddie house. But he is not a starter. He only starts for us because we have no one else who can score. Most of those stats are skewed because nick was a 6th man for half the season.

Look over the post again. It says that those are the stats for every game he's started.

I don't think we should get rid of him, as he is one of the best we got. We have other holes that need filled. But I do feel that ny has good games, and then he has Gilbert arenas type games where he takes plenty of terrible shots. I just don't think he's the beast you all think he is.

Put Nick Young on a decent team and he'll fade into the background. He's only putting up numbers now b/c we have no one else.
Put Nick Young on the floor with an ACTUAL PF, and he becomes a dangerous slasher/spot up shooter. There is no one on this roster that requires perimeter defenders to sag. Our guards never have the room to maneuver you see with the Lakers/Celtics/Magic/Grizzlies/Thunder/Spurs/Rockets/Jazz/Bulls.......We should trade Blatche for a ham sammich and roll with Booker and Seraphin. Wall, Young, Lewis, Booker/Seraphin, McGee. Roll with the youngins. The vets sure as hell ain't gettin it done.

On a championship team Young is probably a 6th man, and there is nothing wrong with that. All great teams have to have that spark off the bench. But right now, Young has been our best player the last month or so. He has earned the right to start. I'd try to dump Hinrich at the deadline to a contender in need of a vet PG, and if I can get a decent enough return I'd probably deal Blatche too. Blatche is basically the Michael Westbrook of the Wizards, all the talent in the world but not enough heart or desire. He may be a better player elsewhere but it'll never be here. Unfortunately we probably won't get good enough value.

20 points, 3 boards, 1.3 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.2 blocks, .500 eFG%, .439 3P%.

He scores a lot with decent efficiency. That efficiency looks better when you realize that his team posts an eFG% of just .470 (4th worst in the league). That means Young is posting respectable efficiency numbers despite being the best offensive option for his team and a focus of opposing defenses.

Young leads his team in on/off differential at +7.4.

What website shows the +/- numbers for the whole season?

Thanks