Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Put Nick Young on a decent team and he'll fade into the background. He's only putting up numbers now b/c we have no one else.

This is an extremely stupid way to look at basketball stats. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Facts certainly don't support those who are saying that Young puts up empty numbers or he's "Eddie House" deux.

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

What website shows the +/- numbers for the whole season?

Thanks

Try www.hoopdata.com

This is an extremely stupid way to look at basketball stats. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Facts certainly don't support those who are saying that Young puts up empty numbers or he's "Eddie House" deux.

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

Try www.hoopdata.com

I didn't dive into any statistics so it's not stupid. I said he's putting up numbers bc we have no one else. My point is that on a decent team he wouldn't get the playing time b/c he's not that great of a player. In the given situation he's excelling b/c he's playing with a lot of lesser talent.

I didn't dive into any statistics so it's not stupid. I said he's putting up numbers bc we have no one else. My point is that on a decent team he wouldn't get the playing time b/c he's not that great of a player. In the given situation he's excelling b/c he's playing with a lot of lesser talent.

Exactly. This is the type of thinking that resulted in a 3 year extension of Blatch.

Nick Young may not be eddie house. But he is not a starter. He only starts for us because we have no one else who can score. Most of those stats are skewed because nick was a 6th man for half the season.

I don't see how a 2 guard who averages 20 points a game (when he starts) and plays good defense isn't a starter. It's not like we've got Kobe Bryant ahead of him on the depth chart.

Young is a good player. I don't see why that's so hard to accept. He looks like a different man on both sides of the floor this season.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I don't see how a 2 guard who averages 20 points a game (when he starts) and plays good defense isn't a starter. It's not like we've got Kobe Bryant ahead of him on the depth chart.

Young is a good player. I don't see why that's so hard to accept. He looks like a different man on both sides of the floor this season.

Im not saying hes a bad player. I just dont want to see us throw a contract extension to a guy who has had one good season here, like Blatch.

So what do we do? Let one of our only talented players walk this offseason? Who do you guys feel can come in at SG, average 20 points a game, shoot 44% from the 3 point line, grab three rebounds a game and play solid defense?

There are huge differences between Blatche and Young. Effort has never been the problem with Nick. Mostly IQ and a lack of understanding of NBA ball. Blatche has always had good B-Ball IQ, he just has one of the most pathetic motors in the game. If we had Blatche producing this year like he was last year, we'd be a playoff team right now.

To let talented players like Young walk because of fear of extensions is absolutely retarded. That extension for Blatche isn't that bad anyways. He's earning less than some back up big men in this league. The money he got was fair value for a player like him.

For goodness sakes, the guy shoots 52% from 16-23 feet and takes a good amount of shots from mid range every game. That is almost unheard off in modern day NBA.

Edited by No Excuses

Look, your points are entirely correct. We cant let young walk in the offseason ( i wasnt aware this was his last season?), but that does factor in to my assessment of his game. I have this sick feeling that his stats are only inflated because he is now our only reliable scorer. Much like blatche was last year when arenas, butler, and jamison were all gone. Does this make him a bad player? No. But does this make him a great player? No as well.

Blatche is a whole different can of worms. We are talking about a guy who can shoot great from the perimeter, but shouldnt be shooting from that distance as often as he does in the first place. He should be pairing up with Mcgee and helping on the boards. While Jamison also was terrible at defense, he did pull down a hell of a lot of rebounds on both ends, and had a decent inside game ( what with his 7ft finger rolls). Im not saying let talented players walk. But we have known what he have in young and blatche for a long time. If you couldnt see it, you were hoping too much. I still have this problem with the 'skins. I dont have it with the wizards.

I really don't see the rationale of he's only scoring like this because we are a bad team? Does being on a bad team make a guy shoot over 40% from the 3 and over 50% from mid range? I'd love to know what kind of super power this is that over takes a player on a bad team that makes him shoot really well from the floor. Never knew high percentage jump shooting and bad records had correlations.

I fully understand the fear from cases like Blatche, but people saw this coming with Dray because he's always been a lazy POS who just happened to turn it on last year.

Nick, much like Javale is right now, was always oozing with talent. He just couldn't get a grasp of the NBA game. He does now, he's become one of the better defenders at SG in this league. He's had huge games against guys like D-Wade and Kobe.

Even Blatche wasn't putting up empty numbers last year. If Blatche gives us the same production this year, we are at least 10-12 wins better right now. Most of the team got better, but Dray's massive regression really brought everyone down.

Again!!!????!?

He'll be out 2 weeks again

Those chairs are ******* padded John!!!!

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 08:23 PM ----------

Thank God

Wall is ok

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 08:27 PM ----------

Yea that would have been a typical washington injury. whew!

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 08:42 PM ----------

On another note... Wall is having a great game today.