Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

First Randy Wittman's quote on yanking McGee after it:

"What led to the goaltend? What was he supposed to be doing? See, that's the thing people don't understand and it's hard to explain, OK? What his job in the pick is, is not to let the guard get to the rim. Goaltending? That had nothing to do with it. OK? Nothing to do with it."

Yuuuup. Basketball 101. Four years in the ****ing league, pro basketball parents, and still stuck on basketball 101. Any day now he'll turn it around :rolleyes:

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2012/2/22/2817557/kings-vs-wizards-washington-returns-home-to-face-sacramento?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Wasn't that right after he got shoved in the air on the other side of the court? He was mad and did something stupid. Then again maybe he was just pissed off that despite being 4/4 none of the bigs could get a pass from out brilliant guards. Is there a youtube of Wall getting T'd up for talking trash to someone on the bench... that later dominated him in the 4th quarter? Is there a youtube of him waiving off screens only to fail miserably to be the hero in the 4th? I guess it's because he didn't have basketball parents.

McGee, Singleton, Vesely, and Booker are held to a much higher standards than our guards are.

Edited by Destino

Goaltending? That had nothing to do with it. OK? Nothing to do with it."

Do you not see him letting the guard get to the basket at will? You learn that **** in house league basketball when you're 8 years old. And get back to me when McGee is a rebound away from a triple double.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Wall is no where near on the level of having the same impact of KD. Not even close.

I wouldn't even compare Westbrook to Wall, because Westbrook is more of a scoring guard in the Gilbert Arenas mold.

Going forward, this is what I'd do.

Target Ray Allen either via trade (this season), or hope that he'll try to sign here as a FA. Why he'd do that, I don't know...but he'd be amazing to have on this team. If he falls through, I'd look at Eric Gordon even though he's restricted. I'd throw out an offer sheet w. the hopes that the Hornets don't match.

I'd also look at a guys like Ersan Ilyasova or Kris Humphries through FA as well.

There needs to be some vet depth on this roster. Where we'd get it, I'm not sure. But I do agree with the sentiments of trying to package a few of our players to bring in an established guy or two to help bolster the roster.

In the draft, i've resigned the fact that we won't have the top pick and that's fine. We need a SF, and I'd want either MKG (no one plays harder in college hoops) or Harrison Barnes.

Wall

Allen (or Gordon)

MKG (or Barnes)

Ilysova (or Humphries)

McGee

That's better than what we're currently trotting out on the floor right now....and it would be step in the right direction. I'm just at a loss as far as what can realistically be done to this roster to acquire a stud player through a trade. Any suggestions?

*Oh yea...Blatche = Amnestied and Lewis = bought out

And Nick Young not resigned. All three of those things are locks. That's why we need to be talking about McGee. That's the question.

Still can't wait until I'm right. Again.

Yup...agreed on NY. He's turning 27 and as the cliche goes "he is what he is." He's got little-to-no room for growth with this team and would be better served elsehwere.

It really is simple, I mean look at this:

2007 2nd pick Kevin Durant

2008 4th pick Russell Westbrook

2008 24th pick Serge Ibaka

2009 3rd pick James Harden

Doesn't get any easier than that. I'm sure the wizards will start drafting very good to great players every year once someone tells Grunfeld that this is our plan moving forward.

The level of luck there is off the charts.

Durant is a Hall of Fame level talent. So, they had to be in the lottery the year he was available and they needed Portland to take the crippled center in front of them.

Westbrook is the classic "project" lottery pick who never develops, except in three years, he became not only an All-Star but an All-Star who is willing to spend his entire damn career in a backwater like Oklahoma City.

Ibaka was a classic late-round overseas flyer pick. Again, these guys work out one out of every ten times. The best case scenario is usually DeSagana Diop. This guy, as others have said, turns into Ben Wallace with a pretty jumper.

There was nothing all that lucky about Harden. That's just a great pick. The only "lucky" thing is that he's not the type to demand starters minutes and 25 shots a night. Because on the Wizards, he would be playing 40 minutes and taking 25 shots a night.

The other player to consider is Jeff Green who was good enough to trade for one of the ten legit centers in the league. They got lucky that his health problems didn't show up until after the trade.

Do you not see him letting the guard get to the basket at will? You learn that **** in house league basketball when you're 8 years old. And get back to me when McGee is a rebound away from a triple double.

Miscommunication. He thought Singleton was going over the screen (and frankly he should have, but instead turned his body into the screen for no reason) and both guys stayed put. You honestly think what you see in that video, prior to the goal tend, is rare in the NBA? Yes you learn that in house league and you see it every day in the NBA.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

And Nick Young not resigned. All three of those things are locks. That's why we need to be talking about McGee. That's the question.

Still can't wait until I'm right. Again.

I'm still waiting for him to be nearly as bad as Seraphin, the center you actually like.

Target Ray Allen either via trade (this season), or hope that he'll try to sign here as a FA. Why he'd do that, I don't know...but he'd be amazing to have on this team. If he falls through, I'd look at Eric Gordon even though he's restricted. I'd throw out an offer sheet w. the hopes that the Hornets don't match.

That trade makes no sense for anyone. There are two teams out there who win a title if they acquire Ray Allen - OKC, Chicago - and four more who suddenly become major threats. Why would he come to Washington to play on a ten-win team? And why do the Wizards really want a 37-year-old guard next year? I mean, it would be nice to have a great veteran leader on the team, but there are all kinds of problems with that marriage for both teams.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

I'd also look at a guys like Ersan Ilyasova or Kris Humphries through FA as well.

I like those moves. I think I'm the only Kris Humphries fan in America though.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

His production only increased when D-Will showed up. Prior to that his FG% and production wasn't very good. Having said that I don't get the hate for this guy, he's averaging a double double and efficiently scoring.

I don't care about the Kardashian nonsense.

That trade makes no sense for anyone. There are two teams out there who win a title if they acquire Ray Allen - OKC' date=' Chicago - and four more who suddenly become major threats. Why would he come to Washington to play on a ten-win team? And why do the Wizards really want a 37-year-old guard next year? I mean, it would be nice to have a great veteran leader on the team, but there are all kinds of problems with that marriage for both teams.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Which is why I said this:

Why he'd do that, I don't know...but he'd be amazing to have on this team.

I don't think it will happen, but Eric Gordon wouldn't be a horrible plan B.

Let me ask yall...what assets do OKC and Chicago have that would be enticing to Boston if they are planning on moving Ray?

Edited by RonArtest15

The level of luck there is off the charts.

Durant is a Hall of Fame level talent. So' date=' they had to be in the lottery the year he was available and they needed Portland to take the crippled center in front of them.

Westbrook is the classic "project" lottery pick who never develops, except in three years, he became not only an All-Star but an All-Star who is willing to spend his entire damn career in a backwater like Oklahoma City.

Ibaka was a classic late-round overseas flyer pick. Again, these guys work out one out of every ten times. The best case scenario is usually DeSagana Diop. This guy, as others have said, turns into Ben Wallace with a pretty jumper.

There was nothing all that lucky about Harden. That's just a great pick. The only "lucky" thing is that he's not the type to demand starters minutes and 25 shots a night. Because on the Wizards, he would be playing 40 minutes and taking 25 shots a night.

The other player to consider is Jeff Green who was good enough to trade for one of the ten legit centers in the league. They got lucky that his health problems didn't show up until after the trade.[/quote']

I don't think luck is the impetus for their success, except maybe in having the opportunity to draft Durant.

I think brilliant FO work is the reason they've been successful. Their level of commitment to player development is magnificient and I think the only other franchise in the league that matches it is San Antonio (where Presti learned his craft).

The reason all of these project types like Westbrook and Ibaka have been so spectacularly successful when guys like them with so few preexisting skills never get this good is because NBA organizations are typically horrible at developing young talent.

But when you've got the kind of strength in your FO like San Antonio and OKC have, you actually can build a championship caliber team through the draft.

They have the best organizational vision, some of the best scouts and evaluation departments, so they understand what works for them. They teach the game to their young players better than anyone else, and that starts well before their players even set foot on the regular roster down in the D league.

I think ultimately, the Wizards will never be able to replicate the Thunder model because our FO can't hold a candle to Presti's.

I think all of the talk about trading a lotto pick for this or that veteran or targeting this or that free agent is just trying to find band aids to try and get this team back to mediocrity and not a recipe for creating sustained success and contention.

The single biggest problem with the Wizards is that we are not successfully developing our young talent. Something is systemically wrong with the team and with the locker room right now. For our players to be this underdeveloped in game awareness night after night is a gigantic problem.

I want Steve Kerr or someone from the San Antonio/OKC organization to replace Ernie as GM and bring in a whole new FO. I suggested Kerr because he's as smart as they come and he's got a good grip on the game, and what the other organizations are doing. Plus he understands the PG position, it's value today, and how to put an organization in place to support that PG.

I also want Ted to buy our own D League affiliate and move it close to home like the Lakers, Spurs, and Thunder each did and I want the new FO to use it as a serious tool for teaching the game to young players in an environment that won't destroy their confidence, and will keep them hungry.

Our roster is filled with players who should be learning their craft in the D league right now, not ruining their confidence and winning spirit on the court. Yet we're stuck sharing a D League team in Iowa with two other teams.

OKC and San Antonio are the only two teams in the past 20 years that have successfully drafted their corps of starters....they got lucky. Like I said before, Tim Duncan is the best PF of all time and KD is already a lock for the Hall of Fame. He might go down as the best pure scoring wing in basketball history. Granted, those teams did do well drafting in the late first round and second round: Ginobli, Parker, Ibaka....but the NBA is all about getting a super star...or two...or three and then surrounding them with the right role players to win a championship. We are not going to be successful exclusively building the team's corps starters through the draft...not unless we get extremely lucky and draft the second coming of Kevin Durant or Dwight Howard in this year's draft......I don't think anyone in this draft has anywhere near the potential of either of these guys.

Trading the draft pick for a proven commodity is not a band aid fix; it is a step in the right direction to producing a winning team/culture and making our team an attractive destination for free agents.

I agree with a lot of what RonArtest15 (btw...I'd love to know the story on how you came up with RonArtest as a screen name...and think you should consider changing it to Meta World Peace) said....I like the players he's listed as targets, although I don't think we have a chance in hell of landing Ray Allen...if he leaves Boston, it will be for LA, Chicago, Dallas, or OKC.

On another note.....I'd love to see the Mavs trade for Steve Nash....Steve will be a FA next year anyway and Phoenix should trade him to a contender to say thanks for all that guy has done for their ball club the past 8 years.

Beuabois, next year's first, and Marion for Nash

Some of you are being way to harsh in your criticism of this team. There are lots of players on this roster pushed into roles that are simply not suited for them. Nick Young is a terrible #1 option on offense for any team but that's his fault? On a good team, he can be a valuable bench player and spot starter due to injuries. Javale might be a little empty in the brain department, but he's not Blatche where he has off court issues as well. On most nights, he produces well above the standard for his position (which Blatche didn't do).

This team (minus Blatche) deserves a chance with a new coaching staff, an entire offseason under proper coaching and an improved roster.

I'm more concerned about Leonsis/Grunfeld than the players on this team.

Edited by No Excuses

I agree with Vish that there are a lot of players playing roles they shouldn't be, but that doesn't excuse their total lack of basketball IQ.

I'd just as soon get rid of Young as I think he's part of a culture of losing here that needs to be expunged. I'd say the same thing about McGee but it's just so damn hard to find Cs in this league and for all his mishaps, he's still fairly productive.

Please click the link and watch this video and then wipe the tears away from either laughing or crying too hard....

http://deadspin.com/5887925/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-javale-mcgee-a-video-tribute

The Best And Very, Very Worst Of JaVale McGee: A Video Tribute

JaVale McGee is an elite athlete who does things that most people could never even dream of. That's what makes it all the better when JaVale decides his talents are best spent doing things like goaltending a shot into the fifth row and running back on defense while his team still has the ball.

That's not to say he doesn't also have spectacular moments, like this incredible steal-block against the Blazers last season. The gap between Good JaVale and Bad JaVale is the reason we love him so much. Enjoy this video of some of JaVale's greatest moments, and many of his worst, and let's just all hope that he never, ever changes.

6778125794_a56900211f_o.gif

Does this look like a player you can build around? This is more damning than any of Javale's goal tends or crappy dunk attempts.

Wall's reaction, yet again, is hilarious. He clearly gets so frustrated playing with Javale out there.

Edited by MonkFan8