Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So let me get this straight. Your big finds himself in a mismatch on the block with a smaller player inside that is leaning on him. He holds up his OUTSIDE ARM and the PG responds by throwing the pass inside the defender. In your mind that's a horrible play by McGee?

No one is saying "build around" McGee. What I have been saying is that he's a serviceable center that can start. That's all. Considering that I can't say the same thing for Young, Crawford, Booker, Blatche, Vesely, Singleton, or Lewis... perhaps replacing the rarest position in the NBA is foolish.

I say both of them should get equal blame for that play. When I saw it happened live, I blamed Wall for throwing a bad pass. Now that I am looking at it from this angle, McGee made a laughable attempt to get the ball. He should have hit a spin move or something to get in better position to catch the ball while it was still in the air. Both should be blamed, maybe Wall more than McGee though. :2cents:

Uh, watch where McGee is pointing (he's not holding his hand out expecting the ball there).

It's commonplace in the league to throw that pass inside for an alley-oop or just to get your big man underneath the basket. You don't pass it outside when your posting up someone over a foot shorter than you.

That was a pathetic attempt from Javale and I don't fault Wall at all (EDIT: Actually, I do fault Wall for throwing the pass maybe .5-1s too early. Still a terrible attempt from Javale).

And yes, the kind of money we would have to spend on McGee means we are going to be building around him as well as Wall. He's serviceable, that's about it. I'd rather have find a serviceable C that doesn't make a fool out of himself game in and game out.

Edited by MonkFan8

I can't believe I am going to say this again, but he is still young; he just doesn't get it yet. He is a year older than me, but I have learned that it takes some people longer to mature than others. Maybe McGee is one of those people. I think the risk of giving him some of Ted's money doesn't outweigh the reward.

His stats are getting better by the year, it is just climbing very slowly. Like turtle slow. :ols:

Edited by MLSKINS

I say both of them should get equal blame for that play. When I saw it happened live, I blamed Wall for throwing a bad pass. Now that I am looking at it from this angle, McGee made a laughable attempt to get the ball. He should have hit a spin move or something to get in better position to catch the ball while it was still in the air. Both should be blamed, maybe Wall more than McGee though. :2cents:

Two things that McGee did wrong.

1 - He stood tall instead of working on his defender. As soon as he did that he wasn't going to get inside his man easily. He did however ask for the ball with his outside arm and he was on the block.

2 - He spun to his right with a defender in his pocket. There was no way he was going to move his right leg back in that position and as a result he got hung up on his defender and stumbled.

The problem I have with Wall is that his job isn't making passes based on what should be happening. McGee stood tall and held up his outside arm and had a defender leaning on him before the pass. Wall doesn't have to like it, he's a point guard, his job is to get his players the ball where they need it. His reaction bothers me more than the his poor read of the situation and subsequent bad pass. That's the team captain? He makes a **** pass and then turns his back in disgust?

As much as I like Wall I'm seeing too much arrogance from him and not the improvement I think everyone expect in his second year in the league.

That's clearly a bad pass from Wall. Bad timing and bad placement.

But I also think it's clear McGee got caught flopping. He's trying to sell the foul rather than just finishing the play and the refs didn't buy it. He shouldn't have been that far away from the basket from the get go. How is that position anywhere close to one of his spots? He can't shoot.

That's the team captain? He makes a **** pass and then turns his back in disgust?

As much as I like Wall I'm seeing too much arrogance from him and not the improvement I think everyone expect in his second year in the league.

I wouldn't say it is arrogance. I think it is more frustration than anything. That is what happens to these young phenomenons that come into the league. When you are used to winning all of your life, losing is a hard thing to get used to. I think Wall and McGee will be okay when it is all said in done.

Edited by MLSKINS

I agree about Wall's reaction. There is a fine line between arrogance and competitiveness and Wall reacts like he had no part of the blame. I understand McGee does stupid things on the court and looks like a clown from time to time and it's frustrating to have to play with that. But that's who he is and you have to accept the bad with all of the good he can do for you on the court and cope if you're going to lead effectively.

And it's not like Wall doesn't make dumbass mistakes too, so that high horse attitude is just obnoxious. That's not how a PG should act. Play it close to the vest like CP and Nash. Push when your teammate needs it, steady and calm them when they're losing focus, pump them up when they're confidence is wavering. Leadership is an art. Wall's reaction to the situation was immature and ineffective and I think he's got some time before he becomes a true floor general. Right there Javale could have used a veteran PG as much as Wall could have used a veteran center.

Losing brings out the worst in everyone and makes you focus on the worst aspects of our players, rather than the good.

Plug in good offensive options around Wall and suddenly he's one of the best passing PG's in the league, McGee is a valuable defensive center and Young is a competent back up SG.

I've watched that play 8 times like it was the Zapruder Film. Where is Wall throwing that pass? Is he throwing a lob for a dunk? I have no sense of the depth from that image.

It's a dumb pass.

But I also have no idea what McGhee is doing. When he realizes that the ball is not going to be reversed to his side (which is probably what needed to happen in the first place, he needs to spin to the middle. He spins to the right - away from his man and the ball.

So...yea...what I gather from that is that no one on the Wizards knows how to play basketball.

After looking at the rosters again for tonight, I'm taking team Chuck. His team is comprised of speedsters that can get up and down the court fast and good shooters. Team Shaq has lots of half court guys...If I had to pick one of these teams to compete in the NBA playoffs...I'm probably taking team Shaq, but in an All-Star game, I'm taking Chuck.

Jordan if I need defense McGee if I need offense. Without looking at the stats I'd say McGee is a better finisher at the rim and is the only one that can create and score 3-9 feet. Jordan is stronger in the lower body and a better match against nba sized bigs and mentally is a better defender.

On the wizards? Neither. This team needs Dwight Howard, because he could get the GM fired and attract a decent coach.

Edited by Destino

Jordan if I need defense McGee if I need offense. Without looking at the stats I'd say McGee is a better finisher at the rim and is the only one that can create and score 3-9 feet. Jordan is stronger in the lower body and a better match against nba sized bigs and mentally is a better defender.

On the wizards? Neither. This team needs Dwight Howard, because he could get the GM fired and attract a decent coach.

I would trade the whole team minus Wall for Dwight. And fill the roster will min players.

Watching the rookie sophomore game is fun. Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Paul George, Blake Griffin...

And Wall is hands down the fastest and most explosive athlete on the floor.

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 09:46 PM ----------

When Wall gears up it's spectacular. He gets there immediately. He'd be an amazing wide receiver if he played football.

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

I would give so much to get DeMarcus Cousins or Greg Monroe. To have that kind of scoring down low with the ability to range out to 18 feet. That must be nice.

Also really impressed with Evan Turner. That's such an impressive array of skills he got. It's taken him a little while but he's going to be a really good player one day. We're better off with Wall in the long run IMO but it wouldn't have been a disaster to take Turner instead like I originally thought.

Paul George and Godon Hayward are going to be really good too. That was a much better class for wings than it originally seemed.

And Kyrie Irving's got a sweet stroke. He'd be a future All Star two guard with plus plus handles if not for his height, especially in the East where the drop from Dwayne Wade to the next guy (Joe Johnson) is huge. At PG in the East though, does he ever make an All Star team? Deron Williams is going to have to move back west for starters. Then Wall will have to flop and something will probably have to happen to Rondo too.

The league is so saturated in excellent PGs right now, and with old guys like Steve Nash still in amazing shape, the old guard isn't really fading away.

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

Holy Fing S. Irving is lights out and the kind of chemistry he's got with Wall is sweet and immediately palpable as soon as they take Marshon Brooks out. It's like Butch Cassidy and the Sun dance kid. Can you imagine if that was our back court?

Watching this game makes me jealous.

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 10:41 PM ----------

Look at Wall running in for all these put backs and then having to pull up short. Clearly, he's not used to his teammates actually making their shots.

Edited by stevemcqueen1