Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

OJ Mayo sucks...I just assume keep Nick Young at the vet minimum rather than signing Mayo

OJ Mayo isn't the offensive black hole that Nick Young is. He does pass and he does rebound. He's not a star or a major upgrade but he's not the black hole on offense that Young is which kills a team when he tries to shoot himself out of a slump. Plus I don't see Young signing for a vet min deal.

go get him (Wilson Chandler)...I'm all for it. I think he's going to get just as much money as Batum though.

I agree but the point is we are more likely to actually get him. This team needs a scoring option at the three badly.

Having said all this I don't think the wizards are going to sign anyone of note. I don't get the impression that they are gearing up for a busy FA season. I still think they should make Orlando a trade offer for Howard. Orlando wants cap space and flexibility not old players with heavy contracts. We can offer them that but again I don't see it happening.

Having said all this I don't think the wizards are going to sign anyone of note. I don't get the impression that they are gearing up for a busy FA season.

I have that same feeling unfortunately.

If we only add our lottery pick + a couple of cheap veterans who will barely play, we'll only be marginally better than this year.

OJ Mayo isn't the offensive black hole that Nick Young is. He does pass and he does rebound. He's not a star or a major upgrade but he's not the black hole on offense that Young is which kills a team when he tries to shoot himself out of a slump. Plus I don't see Young signing for a vet min deal.

OJ might be a better all around player, but he isn't really good at anything. I think Young is more valuable as a bench scorer than Mayo is as a starter. I really don't want either of them. I do agree that nick will not sign here for a vet min. deal, but he may sign another one year deal somewhere else...might not be vet min., but it wont be too much more. I think his stock has dropped since last offseason...and no one wanted to sign him then.

I agree but the point is we are more likely to actually get him. This team needs a scoring option at the three badly.

Having said all this I don't think the wizards are going to sign anyone of note. I don't get the impression that they are gearing up for a busy FA season. I still think they should make Orlando a trade offer for Howard. Orlando wants cap space and flexibility not old players with heavy contracts. We can offer them that but again I don't see it happening.

I'd be shocked if we don't drop Blatche and Lewis this offseason (or even before then) and then we would be required to bring in some significant FA to reach the salary floor.

I'd love to try and offer something from Howard, but A) I don't think he'd re-sign here. B) We can't top the offer of Bynum....which is on the table. If Howard is traded this year, it's going to be to LA.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 01:51 PM ----------

I have that same feeling unfortunately.

If we only add our lottery pick + a couple of cheap veterans who will barely play, we'll only be marginally better than this year.

So you don't think they amnesty Blatche and buy out Lewis?

If they do...they have to reach the salary floor.....Blatche's 7 mil from the amnesty will still count towards the floor, but I'm pretty sure Lewis' 14 mil dropped off the books wont.

I doubt Orlando would agree to any trade with us, and I doubt Howard would sign an extension here even if Orlando agreed to trade him. Howard would be a God send. But I don't see why he would choose to stay here and play for a worse team than the one he's already on.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

I think Lewis will certainly be bought out. Why not? But I don't know about amnestying Blatche. I think the FO will field a crappy trade offer before deciding to amnesty Blatche because his contract is too small.

Wizards (or anyone else) won't make a deal w/ Orlando without a guarantee from Howard that he'll sign an extension.

IMO, he's going to end up in LA or New York.

Why is Howard going to sign to a team that is worse than Orlando, in a city with ****tier weather than Orlando, on a team that has no Q rating at all, and in an area that will increase his tax bill?

Explain in 500 words or less.

I doubt Orlando would agree to any trade with us, and I doubt Howard would sign an extension here even if Orlando agreed to trade him. Howard would be a God send. But I don't see why he would choose to stay here and play for a worse team than the one he's already on.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

I think Lewis will certainly be bought out. Why not? But I don't know about amnestying Blatche. I think the FO will field a crappy trade offer before deciding to amnesty Blatche because his contract is too small.

Orlando isn't a better team than Washington w/o Dwight Howard.....we will soon find this out :) They are absolutely terrible...

Why is Howard going to sign to a team that is worse than Orlando' date=' in a city with ****tier weather than Orlando, on a team that has no Q rating at all, and in an area that will increase his tax bill?

Explain in 500 words or less.[/quote']

The Wizards have cap space and John Wall, who has a better upside than anyone in Orlando. DC is also a larger media market than any city in Florida, including Miami. He'd also likely play a role in picking the teams next coach ensuring that he's comfortable with whatever system is put in place.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

Wizards (or anyone else) won't make a deal w/ Orlando without a guarantee from Howard that he'll sign an extension.

IMO, he's going to end up in LA or New York.

Unless you are talking about the Clippers, LA is not a safe bet. With the rise of the Clippers being the "star" of the Laker's as they fall behind the city's other team may not be the most comfortable situation. Laker fans aren't going to like 2nd place and they, along with the media, will blame everyone associated with the team. People forget that Kobe is 33 and entered the league in 1996. He's old enough for this:

6a00d8341c506253ef0120a5b97d42970c-800wi

In Orlando and in DC he's a king. In LA he's likely to be the guy not good enough to make the Laker's contenders while Paul and Griffin lead deep charges into the post season (possibly steam rolling the Laker's in the process).

When you say NY I'm assuming that you are talking about the Nets. There is no room for him on the Knicks. That would work, and he's already said he'd be happy to go there, and being paired with D-Will would certainly be a great duo. The Magic don't appear to want to make that trade.

FYI - I'm not saying this is likely and I'm on record as saying that I don't think the Wizards will make any major moves.

Edited by Destino

The Wizards have cap space and John Wall, who has a better upside than anyone in Orlando. DC is also a larger media market than any city in Florida, including Miami. He'd also likely play a role in picking the teams next coach ensuring that he's comfortable with whatever system is put in place.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

Unless you are talking about the Clippers, LA is not a safe bet. With the rise of the Clippers being the "star" of the Laker's as they fall behind the city's other team may not be the most comfortable situation. Laker fans aren't going to like 2nd place and they, along with the media, will blame everyone associated with the team. People forget that Kobe is 33 and entered the league in 1996. He's old enough for this:

6a00d8341c506253ef0120a5b97d42970c-800wi

In Orlando and in DC he's a king. In LA he's likely to be the guy not good enough to make the Laker's contenders while Paul and Griffin lead deep charges into the post season (possibly steam rolling the Laker's in the process).

When you say NY I'm assuming that you are talking about the Nets. There is no room for him on the Knicks. That would work, and he's already said he'd be happy to go there, and being paired with D-Will would certainly be a great duo. The Magic don't appear to want to make that trade.

FYI - I'm not saying this is likely and I'm on record as saying that I don't think the Wizards will make any major moves.

Let me ask you...is Kobe showing any signs of slowing down? He's still playing the game at a high level. Doesn't matter if he's 33. Dude still has time left before he hangs em' up. And to clarify, I did mean the Lakers and the Knicks via trade.

One thing you are not considering is that Dwight Howard is trying to market himself OFF the court. He's done a great job in Orlando, but he could have 10x the star-power in either LA and New York.

Wizards don't stand a chance in hell at landing him. I don't care where you'd think he'd be "king," it's just not happening for us.

How is there no room on the Knicks? If they move either Melo/STAT to go along w. Chandler (and filler) they could get it done. It's going to be a bit more difficult for the Lakers to do this via trade, and they'd have to clear a lot of space on their roster (salary wise) to make it happen.

If Otis Smith is going to sit on any potential trades and let him walk at the end of the year, he'll be in Brooklyn w. D-Will.

No one beats age and years in the league, Kobe's cliff is fast approaching. If Orlando trades Howard they'll want to package Hedu and I doubt the lakers accept that. The Lakers are old and not the best team in town right now.

The Knicks have zero chance of trading. No one wants Amare's knees at that price.

If he hits free agency I can see him going to the Nets, but you never know.

No one beats age and years in the league, Kobe's cliff is fast approaching. If Orlando trades Howard they'll want to package Hedu and I doubt the lakers accept that. The Lakers are old and not the best team in town right now.

The Knicks have zero chance of trading. No one wants Amare's knees at that price.

Obviously, but Kobe is STILL playing at a high level. That day will come, but he still has a couple of good years left. The Lakers FO will do EVERYTHING in their power to appease Bryant. They add D12, he'll play some reinvigorated basketball. Actually, reinvigorated is the wrong word, because it's not like Kobe is slacking....but he'll have more pep in his step if they do land Howard.

Knicks could package Melo/Chandler/Shump/and their 2013 first round pick to possibly make it happen. I'm just throwing that out there, and I'm not even sure if the numbers match up. Bottom line, they have pieces to move, it's just whether or not Otis Smith is willing to take them on.

Let me ask you...is Kobe showing any signs of slowing down? He's still playing the game at a high level. Doesn't matter if he's 33. Dude still has time left before he hangs em' up. And to clarify, I did mean the Lakers and the Knicks via trade.

One thing you are not considering is that Dwight Howard is trying to market himself OFF the court. He's done a great job in Orlando, but he could have 10x the star-power in either LA and New York.

Wizards don't stand a chance in hell at landing him. I don't care where you'd think he'd be "king," it's just not happening for us.

How is there no room on the Knicks? If they move either Melo/STAT to go along w. Chandler (and filler) they could get it done. It's going to be a bit more difficult for the Lakers to do this via trade, and they'd have to clear a lot of space on their roster (salary wise) to make it happen.

If Otis Smith is going to sit on any potential trades and let him walk at the end of the year, he'll be in Brooklyn w. D-Will.

The Lakers could trade Bynum for Howard straight up.

Also...If Howard hits FA, you are right, he'll be playing with Dwill (not in Brooklyn though) they will be in Dallas.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 09:16 PM ----------

I'm with RonArtest, Kobe has shown no signs of slowing down. Running backs fall of cliffs (as you allude to). Guard who can shoot don't.....Kobe could end up like Ray Allen and play at a high level into his late 30s....probably will.

The Knicks could trade Melo for Howard straight up (if he doesn't have a no trade clause) or they could trade Amare and Chandler for Howard and Turk.....that would be better for Orlando than getting nothing at all.

Typical McGee:

spectacular slam/throw-in on offense, immediately followed by falling for a pump fake everyone in the arena knew was coming on the 3pt line with time running down.

If only that was our problem tonight. The perimeter defense has been non existent and Nick Young is killing us again.

The Lakers could trade Bynum for Howard straight up.

Also...If Howard hits FA, you are right, he'll be playing with Dwill (not in Brooklyn though) they will be in Dallas.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 09:16 PM ----------

I'm with RonArtest, Kobe has shown no signs of slowing down. Running backs fall of cliffs (as you allude to). Guard who can shoot don't.....Kobe could end up like Ray Allen and play at a high level into his late 30s....probably will.

The Knicks could trade Melo for Howard straight up (if he doesn't have a no trade clause) or they could trade Amare and Chandler for Howard and Turk.....that would be better for Orlando than getting nothing at all.

Forgot about D-Will's impending free agency....you might be right about the both of them ending up in Dallas.

*I think it's going to take more than Andrew Bynum to get D12 to LA.

Forgot about D-Will's impending free agency....you might be right about the both of them ending up in Dallas.

*I think it's going to take more than Andrew Bynum to get D12 to LA.

you could be right....that's what I thought at first; but desperate times call for desperate measures. Bynum is having a really good year, and the Magic might panic and take the best offer they can get.

Ray Allen came into the league the same year as Kobe. Age isn't the only thing that matters, time in the league eats those joints away.

Amare's knees at that price would NOT be better than nothing.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 09:35 PM ----------

Wittman benched McGee, Young, & Booker to start the half.

Seraphin is worthless. Guards drive right at him and hit runners in his face. 4 fouls 2 points 1 rebound. Wittman likes him though....

Difference in this half has been who is making the wide open jump shots. Even Booker is hitting them now. Hope I don't see Young again.

Edited by Destino

Ray Allen came into the league the same year as Kobe. Age isn't the only thing that matters, time in the league eats those joints away.

Amare's knees at that price would NOT be better than nothing.

First of all....Ray Allen has been playing competitive basketball a bit longer than Kobe Bryant. Did you play sports in high school? I did...my knees are practically shot from playing competitive soccer up until I was 20. It doesn't matter if you are in the league or not...basketball still takes a toll on your body. The guys that are able to play into their late 30s are the ones who take really good care of their bodies and don't have too many major injuries (like Kobe). KG came into the league out of high school, he is 35...and still going. There is no reason Kobe can't have another few years of high level play and then a few years of being a role player after that.

As far as Amare is concerned, he played 82 games last year and has played all but 4 games this year...the argument about the knees doesn't really work anymore. Amare is definitely better than nothing...I'm sure the majority of wizards fans would love to have Amare on our team this year.

Seraphin is worthless.

Seraphin is very promising....for some reason he only get attention on this board when he doesn't play well. He's had plenty of games this year where he did really well and showed a lot of promise as a back up center.

Difference in this half has been who is making the wide open jump shots. Even Booker is hitting them now. Hope I don't see Young again.

Even Booker? Booker has been knocking down mid-range shots all year long...he's probably the most reliable shooter on the team.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 09:54 PM ----------

Wow, whatever Wittman did at the half actually worked. :ols:

we have the lead after being down by as much as 22

It's the vet guards showing up off the bench....I had been wondering all year why Mo Evan's and Roger don't get more PT....they are the reason we are in this game right now.

Edited by Gator Bait