Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Wizards will NEVER do anything of note until they get rid of Ernie... They can change coaches like underwear, but until they rid themselves of that incompetent POS, they will always be sorry! Like i've said before and i'll say it again, everytime i see Ernie, i think of Vinny...

The Wizards will NEVER do anything of note until they get rid of Ernie... They can change coaches like underwear, but until they rid themselves of that incompetent POS, they will always be sorry! Like i've said before and i'll say it again, everytime i see Ernie, i think of Vinny...

Precisely why the 'Skins are leaps and bounds ahead of the Wizards during this rebuilding process.

Firing Flip will prove to be a good or bad move based on how the team responds. I'm not sure he was the problem as much as the horrible roster loaded with mediocre players,be it because they simply aren't very good or too young to be very good yet. Time will tell but this basically had to happen. Management had to do something because this team has had too many losses in which they seem to frankly not give a ****. I think Ted needs to continue the house cleaning and get rid of Grunfeld before he has a chance to add another player that can't shoot to the roster or F up the draft pick somehow.

Edited by Destino

Not sure why this hasnt been said, but... congratulations Flip! You have been released from the hell that is the washington wizards.

I mean i didnt think he could do anymore than he already has to get fired. He was starting blatche with like 30+ minutes a game when every single fan in the stadium hated him, he was putting up 0 points from the floor, and was vocally being a dumbass. He benched Singleton. Was giving starting minutes to lewis for a while. Honestly, I thought he was untouchable for the duration of this year. Now lets hope we can get rid of Ernie so we dont end up with another tall european player or scrub combo ( i.e. foye/miller ).

The problem runs deeper in this franchise and it's not Flip. The problem is Ernie Grunfled. To me, it is not even a question of the roster (which is remarkably crappy even for a rebuilding team). There is a serious lack of professionalism on this team and this dates back to the Gilbert years. Under Ernie, this team has been more about external matters and not basketball. Under both ownerships, Ernie has had full freedom to build the roster as he wishes and then to manage it. Abe in his latter years, was not intrusive in the player to player handling the way he was several years ago, specifically for the stupid reasons he had a talented knucklehead like C-Web traded away.

Ernie has simply not been able to build an atmosphere conducive to winning AND professionalism. He got away with it because with Arenas, he had a franchise player who was also a dominant force on the court. But Arenas was coddled, never corrected for his mistakes, there was always tension between the head coach and the general manager. This is well documented that Ernie and Eddie Jordan simply didn't see eye to eye on many issues, which lead to a roster that didn't suit Jordan's requirements and on the other hand, lead to a team that was flat out broken; no capable bench players which lead to overuse of starters (Gilbert, Caron and AJ were always league leaders in minutes) and a lack of defensive minded players.

Fast forward to the Saunders team; the same lack of professionalism exists but on a larger scale, simply because the team isn't winning and the issues are magnified. How does it make any sense to any person that Andray Blatche has logged the most minute of ANY player on this roster so far this season? Extend this to other players like Young and McGee, who despite all their talent ( and even growth as players) still exhibit signs of immaturity and passiveness. Simply put, players are not held accountable on this team and this dates back to Eddie Jordan/Gilbert Arenas teams.

We can fire Flip Saunders, but that won't make a single difference in the long run because this team is handled by a guy who simply lacks the skill to build and run a professional team. The type of crap that has happened on this franchise over the last eight years; there is only one single common denominator in all of this. We've had different coaches, players, franchise players, owners, but one guy has remained constant. That's Ernie :dunce: Grunfeld.

Edited by No Excuses

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/34553453

Tempers flared in Saunders' last game

In the least surprising news of the lockout-shortened season, the Wizards have fired coach Flip Saunders and replaced him with lead assistant Randy Wittman, multiple sources confirmed to CBSSports.com Tuesday.

Wittman will take over on an interim basis, paving the way for the Wizards to limp their way with some semblance of dignity to as high a lottery pick as possible. After that, sources say, widespread changes are expected.

"They need to clean house," one league front office source said.

Washington started the season 2-15, and hit rock bottom Monday night with a 103-83 loss in Philadelphia. Tempers flared during the first half of that game, as players were "upset about being subbed out" when the Wizards were down by as many as 30 points, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com.

"At that point," the person said, "no one had the right to complain about anything."

should have never started the season with Flip as coach. He showed in his years here that he wasn't up for coaching younger players. Now I hope they do their homework with great detail for whoever is next. Look at the best coaching staffs around the league to see who is ready for the bump up next year along with former HC's ready for a challenge.

Anyone know much about Randy Wittman? Will he change anything (particularly the offense) or will he just ride out the year using Flips offense/strategies? Did Randy act as a head coach in the past the last time we fired a coach? He probably knows he wont be here next year.

Anyone know much about Randy Wittman? Will he change anything (particularly the offense) or will he just ride out the year using Flips offense/strategies? Did Randy act as a head coach in the past the last time we fired a coach? He probably knows he wont be here next year.

I don't think I can remember anything about his coaching but the numbers aren't good.

CLE 1999–00 82 32 50 .390

CLE 2000–01 82 30 52 .366

MIN 2006–07 42 12 30 .286

MIN 2007–08 82 22 60 .268

MIN 2008–09 19 4 15 .211 (fired)

At least he has experience losing because that's what he's going to be doing here.

I don't get all the hate for Ernie. don't get me wrong i'm not this huge Ernie fan that thinks he has all the answers but the Bullets were terrible for like 20 years under Wes and Jordan. Ernie comes along and made us relevant. Were we a championship team? No, but for the first time in my lifetime we were relevant and major players in the East. No one was asking to fire Ernie then. Then circumstances w/ Gil's injury and antics left us in a position where we had to blow up the team. Was that Ernie's fault?

I mean if you were going to fire him at any point you should have done it when you decided to blow up the team. but we didn't. Because we wanted to see if he could build another winner. Well with the strike this year there was nothing we could do. We had to punt on this shortened season. No GM in the world could have done anything in this strike year to improve this team. So realistically next year is the first real chance Ernie has at rebuilding this team. We have a ton of cap room, likely a top 3 pick we are in perfect position for a rebuild. everything is going as expected. why fire him now?

I don't think I can remember anything about his coaching but the numbers aren't good.

CLE 1999–00 82 32 50 .390

CLE 2000–01 82 30 52 .366

MIN 2006–07 42 12 30 .286

MIN 2007–08 82 22 60 .268

MIN 2008–09 19 4 15 .211 (fired)

At least he has experience losing because that's what he's going to be doing here.

Looks like he is pretty good at losing so he ought to fit right in....