Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I like randy whittman thought he did a good job when he filled in for flip when he got ejected. Wouldn't mind if he was the eventual hire. But we'll see how he does

History indicates he's a bad coach. He's a placeholder unless this team miraculously figures out how to shoot & play hard.

I don't get all the hate for Ernie. don't get me wrong i'm not this huge Ernie fan that thinks he has all the answers but the Bullets were terrible for like 20 years under Wes and Jordan. Ernie comes along and made us relevant. Were we a championship team? No, but for the first time in my lifetime we were relevant and major players in the East. No one was asking to fire Ernie then. Then circumstances w/ Gil's injury and antics left us in a position where we had to blow up the team. Was that Ernie's fault?

I mean if you were going to fire him at any point you should have done it when you decided to blow up the team. but we didn't. Because we wanted to see if he could build another winner. Well with the strike this year there was nothing we could do. We had to punt on this shortened season. No GM in the world could have done anything in this strike year to improve this team. So realistically next year is the first real chance Ernie has at rebuilding this team. We have a ton of cap room, likely a top 3 pick we are in perfect position for a rebuild. everything is going as expected. why fire him now?

Why the hate? Because he assembled a basketball team that can't defend, rebound, pass, or shoot very well.

Edited by Destino

I'd want a proven winner that brings structure and preaches defense. A pick&roll heavy offense would be my preference and soon as Wall can hit that jumper it would be deadly.

I'd say Jeff Van Gundy should top the list.

I'd also seriously consider Sloan because of the structure he brings although he is old, his teams win games and competes they always have very organized sets. I think he has had like 1 losing season the last 25 years which is insane. Those are the 2 best coaches available by a mile.

I would'nt go with a asisitant coach this team needs a proven coach with a structured system that will bench them bums in a heartbeat for lack of effort.

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 10:34 PM ----------

WOW from our new coach..

Whitman is emphasizing "up-tempo." He wants to use PT as a reward for "playing the right way, " but he acknowledges that, with 8 players, that guys will get minutes.

The Sampler specifically cited Wall for sometimes playing out of control on fast breaks. He also said that "Wall has to be willing to be coached"(!).

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

WOW from our new coach..

Whitman is emphasizing "up-tempo." He wants to use PT as a reward for "playing the right way, " but he acknowledges that, with 8 players, that guys will get minutes.

The Sampler specifically cited Wall for sometimes playing out of control on fast breaks. He also said that "Wall has to be willing to be coached"(!).

Edited by Samuels

So we fire trash, to bring in even worse trash, why? Can't we pull a Redskins and convince a high profile coach to come and coach us, I mean could we at least get a high profile college coach? Randy Wittman are you serious? He has to be the worst option we could have picked!

So we fire trash, to bring in even worse trash, why? Can't we pull a Redskins and convince a high profile coach to come and coach us, I mean could we at least get a high profile college coach? Randy Wittman are you serious? He has to be the worst option we could have picked!

He'll just be the coach through the end of the year, maybe not even that long. They'll get someone different to lead this team into the future. I can guarantee that.

Shaka Smart.

I have no clue actually just throwing that out there. Sometime with fire and who won't mind kicking some ass would be a start.

He'd be Shaka Dumb to take this job. Imagine taking your first NBA coaching position, but having no chance of success until you clean out all but 2 guys from your roster. Could be until 2014 before this franchise is ready to compete.

Randy Whittman is Ed Tapscott 2.0. He's only here to ride out the season. This way, they can fire the head coach and still not add on additional salary for the rest of the season.

Anyways, our head coaching job has to be the least attractive one in the entire league. My guess is that we end up with someone like Sam Mitchell. Don't get your hopes.

Randy Whittman is Ed Tapscott 2.0. He's only here to ride out the season. This way, they can fire the head coach and still not add on additional salary for the rest of the season.

Anyways, our head coaching job has to be the least attractive one in the entire league. My guess is that we end up with someone like Sam Mitchell. Don't get your hopes.

agree with the Tapscott 2.0 comment. I thought we should have gone with Mark Jackson in the offseason, but it's too late now. I've seen Van Gundy mentioned a couple times on there, but to me he is just Flip 2.0.

We should have handed this season to Cassell to see if he could be a head coach, kind of like a long internship before he is hired full time. If he didn't work out, I'd either look for another young coach like Jackson or go with Sloan.

what young coach would wanna take over a dumb ass team who doesn't play hard, bunch of prime-donnas who think just because they are young deserve playing PT?

As bad as the Wizards may be, it's still an NBA coaching job. A guy like Shaka Smart would jump at that opportunity. Not saying I'd want him, because I don't, as college coaches have an awful track record coaching in the pros.

I would have liked to see Sam Cassell as the interim coach as well. Wittman is a proven loser. Give Cassell the next three months of on the job training. If the team looks decent he can be the head man next year.

As bad as the Wizards may be, it's still an NBA coaching job. A guy like Shaka Smart would jump at that opportunity. Not saying I'd want him, because I don't, as college coaches have an awful track record coaching in the pros.

I would have liked to see Sam Cassell as the interim coach as well. Wittman is a proven loser. Give Cassell the next three months of on the job training. If the team looks decent he can be the head man next year.

fine if you want a NBA job, but its not we are bringing in a Pete Carroll or Nick Saban who would welcome the challenge and can go back to college and be fine with it. Bring in someone like Tom Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams if you are gonna bring in a college coach

what young coach would wanna take over a dumb ass team who doesn't play hard, bunch of prime-donnas who think just because they are young deserve playing PT?

Like others said, its an NBA HC gig and whoever is the next HC will probably only have less than 50% of this current roster after the turnover.

No to Jeff Van Gundy.

Unless you want to see games played in the high 80s/low 90s.

I can't stand that kind of basketball.

So, you'd rather watch the Wiz play games in the 80's/low 90's accidentally? Short term this team could realy use a boot to arse disciplinarian.

No to Jeff Van Gundy.

Unless you want to see games played in the high 80s/low 90s.

I can't stand that kind of basketball.

Low 90s is perfect and if it wins who cares? The current team is the worst team in the NBA. If we win 55 games i don't frankly care what the score is. The bottom line is however this team isnt going to be good for along time and a big name coach (or player) will not be coming here. Wall doesn't look like a star to a safe bet to be a star because he can't shoot. The owner and the GM support building via the draft despite the GMs lousy record. Plus Ernie handcuffed flip and no established coach would want any part of that.

The wizards are trying to be the next "baby bulls" by the looks of it. Maybe OKC if Wall learns to shoot and we via a miracle find the next Durant (unlikely). The wizards are a team seemingly targeting 2014 or 2015 as the year try might be good. That is going attract coaches looking for a chance or a second chance, not a winner.

Edited by Destino

So, you'd rather watch the Wiz play games in the 80's/low 90's accidentally? Short term this team could realy use a boot to arse disciplinarian.

I don't have a problem with discipline.

I have a problem playing a style of basketball that doesn't take advantage of the strengths of my best player.

And that's what you'd get with Van Gundy.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't have a problem with discipline.

I have a problem playing a style of basketball that doesn't take advantage of the strengths of my best player.

And that's what you'd get with Van Gundy.

Why is anyone talking Van Gundy? He wouldn't even coach here :ols:

We got discipline with Gar Heard.

You don't come to Les Boulez if your a big name coach unless you are an idiot, or overpaid.

Silly discussion.

We need to walk before we can run. Right now we are hoping to see a crawl.