Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

47 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Cool, only if he is one of the absolute best options available. That nostalgic **** means nothin to me. Get the BEST available.......

Right. If they think the name is going to get people to believe they are headed in the right direction. Nope. The expectations would only be bigger for him.

Talk to all the top candidates. Cassell, Hammons, whoever. The good ones are going to be honest with Sheppard and Ted that without embracing a longer term plan and being open to moving pieces you might love right now for assets late. They aren't interested. 

Last 2 coaches were experienced. They were okay.

Not sure if I'd gamble on an inexperienced guy with potential. Old people like me remember Leonard Hamilton with the Wiz lol. Then he left and made a powerhouse in College. Oh, also Eddie Jordan. Had no experience.

Edited by ixcuincle

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kenny Atkinson jumps out at me.  He got dealt a rough hand in Brooklyn and still took them to the playoffs.  Set the table for what they are now. He'd be good here if we rebuild.

Was he the guy before Nash?  They did well in the bubble with what they had.

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Wish I could be happy, but that sorry ass GM is still employed by the team sooo nah.

and he actually wanted to bring Brooks back. I genuinely believe Shep’s camp floated bringing Brooks back and they were unprepared for the fan reaction. 

• Thanks 1

Enough of the DC Fam connections.

The best chance this franchise has to get out of the woods is to lose that small town mentality.  And get a head coach that values defense…..and can call some ****ing plays. ☺️

Building the defense isn't just on the coach.  Shepherd has shown absolutely no understanding of the importance of defense and how to build one.  Of all the roster turnover he's been in charge of, Gafford is the only defensive cog he's brought in.  The guys dominating the postseason are big scoring forwards, and we're in a position where Hachimura is the only body we can put on them.  He's not a two way player, wasn't really one in college, and doesn't project to be in the future.  And neither does Avdija, who seemed pretty clearly to be a Hedo Turkoglu style point forward whose talent is on offense.  Plus not a single backcourt player who is truly worth a **** on defense.  It took years just to bring in a rotation caliber shot locker, something that every team pretty much has early in the process of building their D.  And that only happened because the soft center they committed themselves to got hurt and the two way forward/guard they couldn't figure out how to use busted.

A team spending two max contracts on guards who can't play defense will struggled to ever defend.

A team with a three forward rotation as soft on D as Hachimura, Avdija, and Bertans are will simply never play good defense, and that's what we've committed ourselves to.  Rudy Gobert anchoring the middle couldn't get us to play good D.

I'd be surprised if their hire had any sort of defensive-minded background or credibility.  It'd go against everything they've done over the past five years.

We thought we'd done something because Thomas Bryant has some offensive game and Bertans had a good contract year shooting performance.  But instead of understanding we needed to build a balanced team and could never, ever do so with those two in the front court and recognizing their performances as exactly the kind of fool's gold we could sell high on, we committed to them.

Shepherd is not a good enough GM for us to contend.  And unless you've got S tier stars leading your roster, you can't contend with a mediocre GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

Philly would never agree to it, but I would jump on that in a heart beat. And I like Westbrook.  It’s just a smart deal for the future.  

Maybe they make a foolish trade after a difficult postseason collapse?

What would it take to get them to say yes?