Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It might seem crazy to give this kind of say to the players whom the coach will be coaching, but it is a players' league.  Ultimately, putting somebody in place who doesn't have the support of the team players' leadership would be putting the new coach in a terrible spot.  It would seem far better to get their buy-in on the decision, thus at least recognizing them as stakeholders in the "get a new coach project."  Getting their input at some point in the process seems like following good project management principals.

Via The Athletic in regards to Unseld Jr..

"I mean, you got guys like Joker, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter Jr., where their strength is not defense, and he has them near the top 10 (Denver finished 11th in points allowed per possession this past season). That’s all you need to know".

"He’s usually the first one in and he’s the last one out of the office. Everyday. Every, single day. Off days, practice days, shootaround days; he does not take days off. Like, he’s always in the office trying to figure out how to help the team. You could see how much (Nuggets head coach) Mike Malone puts on his shoulders, how much trust he has of him to basically run the defense every single play. And when (Malone) wants to change something on the fly, he’ll tell Wes and Wes will just go out there and yell, ‘control it!’ and he’ll be eased with it."

• Like 5

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

Wizards HC gig is the worst in the NBA.  No shock they get last pick of the remaining candidates.  Scott Brooks as head assistant in Portland is a step up from HC of the Wizards.  Nothing has changed in 40 years.  Carry on.

Here's another possibility: 

The organization is being methodical and conducting a genuine search....unlike what they did when hiring Brooks.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The organization is being methodical and conducting a genuine search....unlike what they did when hiring Brooks.

More likely that most quality coaches are like the GMs who passed on working for the Org a few years ago. They say "Well, this is a full blow up and rebuild" and Ted says "No, we don't do rebuilds here. All in for 8th Seed!" and the quality coach says "Uhhh, I meet with the Magic and then the Pelicans this week. I'll get back to you."

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Wizards HC gig is the worst in the NBA.  No shock they get last pick of the remaining candidates.  Scott Brooks as head assistant in Portland is a step up from HC of the Wizards.  Nothing has changed in 40 years.  Carry on.

I don’t get the impression that they offered the job and were turned down.  That certainly did occur during the GM search, but this time it feels like they’re just moving slowly.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Oh, you mean like when the Redskins interviewed about 9 guys for the HC gig years back, conducting a crowd pleasing thorough interview process just to land Jay Gruden?  Ok.

Unfortunately they have to show they’re competent, not just get the benefit of the doubt. 

I’m not surprised at all they have the last vacancy. And sure, it could be because they’re doing a thorough job and trying to get the right guy. Could also be because they’re the wizards. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Oh, you mean like when the Redskins interviewed about 9 guys for the HC gig years back, conducting a crowd pleasing thorough interview process just to land Jay Gruden?  Ok.

I guess....

Doesn't bother me being the last team to hire a coach.

Just want to get the right guy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I guess....

Doesn't bother me being the last team to hire a coach.

Just want to get the right guy.

No doubt.  Speaking of coaches when is Pop gonna catch flack as the HC of Team USA after losing to Nigeria/Australia?  He needs to go...

• Like 1

Darvin Ham is a coach? The guy who was really good at dunking? God I'm old.

I don't see him being the answer. But like I said earlier in this thread, it is really hard for me to evaluate potential coaches since it is a world foreign to me.