Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Bertans is far from awful.... but you can’t utilize a monster shooter if you don’t run any damn plays.  The wizards play like they’re playing pick up basketball.  Everyone just does their own thing, and it absolutely kills the second unit that doesn’t feature star power shot creators.  

What would it hurt to run some off ball screens?  Will the players burn down the arena if asked to set screen for someone other than the dribbler?  Every team does this stuff.... except for Brooks, who doesn’t believe in running plays.  

Maybe awful is a tad much, but when one gets 5 years, $80 million, one should be more than a spot up shooter. 

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe awful is a tad much, but when one gets 5 years, $80 million, one should be more than a spot up shooter. 

Conversely, an nba head coach with two all nba caliber guards, should be able to get a 6’10 sniper some quality shots.  You think Pop or Kerr would struggle to get Bertans shots?  Klay can score 30 points without dribbling.  

Know what the difference is?  Brooks is a boob that doesn’t believe in scripted movement.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Conversely, an nba head coach with two all nba caliber guards, should be able to get a 6’10 sniper some quality shots.  You think Pop or Kerr would struggle to get Bertans shots?  Klay can score 30 points without dribbling.  

Know what the difference is?  Brooks is a boob that doesn’t believe in scripted movement.  

I'm not absolving Brooks, but Bertans is 6'10 and has had some looks. If he's not the third highest paid player, it's not much of an issue to me, but there seems like better ways to spend that money. Maybe a more traditional 3 and D guy. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm not absolving Brooks, but Bertans is 6'10 and has had some looks. If he's not the third highest paid player, it's not much of an issue to me, but there seems like better ways to spend that money. Maybe a more traditional 3 and D guy. 

Except we didn't have that money to spend on any other player.

Only had it for Davis because we had his Bird Rights.

• Like 1

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Except we didn't have that money to spend on any other player.

Only had it for Davis because we had his Bird Rights.

Other teams were interested in Bertans. Sign and trade possibilities existed. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Now that's true.

Personally, I have no problem Davis.

Just wish they'd get him more looks.

Of course, I expected him to be on the receiving end of Wall's passes.....

I guess I am being a little harsh on the guy. It just seems like moves are made by this organization without any actual plan. They drafted Deni, then re-signed Bertans two days later. Was there a conversation about how they two guys would work on the same roster? Cause it sure doesn't seem like there was any thought put into it. It's like they weren't prepared to draft Deni. 

For that matter, who loses minutes with Hui gets back?  

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I guess I am being a little harsh on the guy. It just seems like moves are made by this organization without any actual plan. They drafted Deni, then re-signed Bertans two days later. Was there a conversation about how they two guys would work on the same roster? Cause it sure doesn't seem like there was any thought put into it. It's like they weren't prepared to draft Deni. 

For that matter, who loses minutes with Hui gets back?  

Deni and Bonga are SFs 

Rui is the starting 4 and Bertans is his backup at PF

If the wizards have glaring roster weaknesses its starting Center and backup SG.  They should be a hell of a lot better than they’ve played through three games... but as is the norm with Brooks, his team is worse in practice than on paper.  That’s how a team with multiple future MVPs and Ibaka only makes one finals appearance (and gets blown away). 

12 hours ago, Destino said:

If the wizards have glaring roster weaknesses its starting Center and backup SG.  

I'm wondering if we shouldn't start Lopez at the 5. We need the defense and the paint presence. Also- Have you guys noticed how little time Westy and Beal spend on the floor together?  

24 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Remember that time this franchise traded away the soul of the team + a 1st in a lateral move, kept the same bum for a coach and GM, and ended up no better at 0-3 to start the season? Who could have seen that coming...

Remember when they fired the crappy GM who gave out terrible contracts and had no long term vision and replaced him with his assistant, who has no long term vision either? 

Edited by Hersh
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Remember that time this franchise traded away the soul of the team + a 1st in a lateral move, kept the same bum for a coach and GM, and ended up no better at 0-3 to start the season? Who could have seen that coming...

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Remember when they fired the crappy GM who gave out terrible contracts and had no long term vision and replaced him with his assistant, who has no long term vision either? 

I know it’s easy to get down on the team right now but ask yourself this question...”Is Ian Mahinmi sitting on our bench at $16M a year?”.

SUNSHINE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do fans wish McGee was here later in his career?

Serious question: What shooting percentage from 2  makes shooting less 3s a preferred scenario? The Wiz have been shooting 60+ percent inside the 3 point line and not shooting well from outside. 

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do fans wish McGee was here later in his career?

Given our center play last year, he'd been an upgrade.  Hes decent now.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Kutcher hates watching this team play.  You can hear it in his voice. lol

I'm killin time with sis, it bothers me being down like this, more then last year.  Too much talent to be losing like this.