Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tell that to the Redskins, who dropped from 8th and a real shot at a good QB, to 15th and hoping someone else takes Daniel  Jones first because of that pointless, utterly counterproductive win against the Jaguars.

OT, but we went from this not being a good QB draft to too bad we can't get one.  Play to win the game, let rest take care of itself.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

usually don't say this but they need to lose out to get zion 

I feel you, just said my piece on tanking and believe NBA has already decided he's going to the knicks. No way they let us get that pick.

Edited by Renegade7

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Figures we "bottom out" in a weak draft class.

I think we bottom out again next year. And worse. 

I would guarantee it if I was the new guy but I aint (yet) so we will see. 

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So there are your top two picks.

Figures we "bottom out" in a weak draft class.

I hate NBA draft, not against trading that pick instead of drafting someone who won't be ready for a couple years, if ever.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

OT, but we went from this not being a bad QB draft to too bad we can't get one.  Play to win the game, let rest take care of itself.  

I feel you, just said my piece on tanking and believe NBA has already decided he's going to the knicks. No way they let us get that pick.

I'm hopeful about the new draft system that makes it less likely the worst team gets it. A middle of the pack team IE Wizards in the lottery might be able to steal it. And if the Wizards manage to get the #1 pick, PLUS Ernie is gone and someone competent can draft Zion...Beal, Wall, Zion...you know I will be the biggest wizards fan on this site lol 

https://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/28/nba-board-governors-approves-changes-draft-lottery-system

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

OT, but we went from this not being a bad QB draft to too bad we can't get one.  Play to win the game, let rest take care of itself.  

Adam Silver with the cold envelope?!?!!??!?!  Oh man, let the conspiracy theories start!  

I will hate it if he goes to the Knicks.  I ****ing hate sports teams that get a lot of attention for sucking because they're in a big media market.  Why are the Knicks still ever a story?  They're about as relevant as the Suns and have been for quite some time.  But it's still THE KNICKS.  

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

And if the Wizards manage to get the #1 pick, PLUS Ernie is gone and someone competent can draft Zion...Beal, Wall, Zion...you know I will be the biggest wizards fan on this site lol 

I can see a lot of folk being back for that : )

thats like best case scenario...

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think having a healthy Beal puts the floor at 30 wins.

If we're going to be successful, then we're going to have to rebuild this thing the way the Pacers did.  We should look into their Front Office for talent.

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Probably.  Unless the new guy can work some magic in an offseason.  If I understand correctly, they've only got Beal, Mahinmi, and Brown under contract (not counting Wall).  And Dwight, Portis, and Dekker likely to come back.  

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate NBA draft, not against trading that pick instead of drafting someone who won't be ready for a couple years, if ever. 

We can't trade it.  This is a crucial piece for rebuilding.  Trading mid lotto picks is how you end up with Mike Miller and Randy Foye rentals instead of Steph Curry.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think having a healthy Beal puts the floor at 30 wins.

If we're going to be successful, then we're going to have to rebuild this thing the way the Pacers did.  We should look into their Front Office for talent.

Jus out of curiosity, how did the Pacers do it?  Seems like only yesterday that whole thing came apart, now they've only had one losing year in the last 8.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/IND/

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We can't trade it.  This is a crucial piece for rebuilding.  Trading mid lotto picks is how you end up with Mike Miller and Randy Foye rentals instead of Steph Curry.

Means we have to do our homework. I'm scared.

Wasn't that 5th pick overall?

Edited by Renegade7

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm hopeful about the new draft system that makes it less likely the worst team gets it. A middle of the pack team IE Wizards in the lottery might be able to steal it. And if the Wizards manage to get the #1 pick, PLUS Ernie is gone and someone competent can draft Zion...Beal, Wall, Zion...you know I will be the biggest wizards fan on this site lol 

https://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/28/nba-board-governors-approves-changes-draft-lottery-system

Pace yourself my friend.  You're going to have to learn not to expect extreme good luck if you're going to make it as a fan of this team.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Jus out of curiosity, how did the Pacers do it?  Seems like only yesterday that whole thing came apart, now they've only had one losing year in the last 8.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/IND/

Means we have to do our homework. I'm scared.

Wasn't that 5th pick overall?

Yep.  Realistically, we'll probably settle in around 7th in this year's draft.  I've been reading up on the mid lotto guys this year, watching cut ups, and catching their tourney games.  No man crushes yet, but so far I'm leaning towards Culver as the BPA around 7.  Hunter and the kid from Texas are also interesting.  Hachimura has pretty high upside but I am very leery about tweener forwards like him who may not be able to defend either position at the NBA level.  He's got good arm length and he played good defense for Gonzaga, but that's a world away from playing good defense in the NBA.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

#1, they have  always had a very strong, fundamental commitment to defense.  They build inside out, get great rim protection, and target guards and wings who are rock fighters and who buy into the defensive mindset of the team.  Guys with great lateral speed and toughness and length, who can pressure the ball and fight through screens.  I think George Hill was 6'1 with 12 foot arms  And then they hired coaches who are experts on teaching and coaching defense.

How they got this specific roster was they struck gold in the late lottery on Myles Turner.  Took a shot on a freshman 7 foot shot blocker with a strong frame and range on his jumper and then developed him.  They were proactive with Paul George and took a chance on Oladipo and Sabonis, and those two reached their potential with the Pacers after floundering in OKC and Orlando.  Oladipo was the #2 overall pick in 2013 and Sabonis was 11th in 2016.  They scooped Bojan up from us, and somehow they're able to hide his defense and use his gunner scoring to full effect.  LOL that we traded a first round pick for two and a half months of him and they ended up getting his best basketball for a bargain contract.  We are such trash.

Anyway, they also run a successful timeshare at PG with two journeymen guys (Joseph and Collison) and they still get a lot of good basketball from Thaddeus Young (shockingly good system defender given his size).

Turner is the foundation for their defensive success.  He is one of the best defensive players in the NBA, just a hair down from Gobert's world.  They had to be patient with him too, because there were a lot of rough patches with him early in his career.  He was a fouling machine and he was also garbage as a rookie.  But he's steadily gotten better and he's proven to have just enough offense for you to have to play him honest.  The defense is a real contribution to winning.  Additionally Sabonis is a stout defender and a very good rebounder, particularly on the defensive glass.  And on the perimeter, Oladipo is a spectacularly good defensive player.  True junk yard dog of a ball defender.  I think you need to lay your foundation for defense with this combo--great perimeter defender + great rim protector + great glass cleaner.  Memphis used the same combo for years with Conley/Allen pressuring the ball and Z-Bo + Gasol inside. 

We currently have none of these things.  And it's why our defense is heinously bad.  Which is also why we lost 50+ games instead of ever winning 50+.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

A lot of what happens with the Wiz in the near term depends on if Beal has interest in sticking around through a rebuild or if the new front office just wants to commit to a multi-year rebuild starting with trading Beal for a bunch of assets. I don't know why Beal would want to stick around cause the Wiz are going to suck next season too. 

Best course is probably trade Beal for multiple firsts, bottom out next year landing a top-3 pick and go forward with only one big contract on the books in Wall. Maximize cap space and build through the draft. 

Brooklyn used the same formula as Indy to get better after trading away all of their premium assets in what should probably be considered the most lopsided trade in NBA history.

That's why I'm interested in the kid from Texas.  Maybe another Myles Turner/Jarrett Allen?  And Culver is the two-way wing who I think has the best chance to significantly outperform expectations like Kawhi and Paul George did.  Doubt he ends up being as good as they are, but nobody ever suspected that they were going to be this good on their draft days.

Culver's height listing is wrong.  I think he's probably 6'7 and might even be 6'8.  He's got a foundation for offensive creativity with his ball handling ability and mid range game.  His defense is reminiscent of Paul George.  He mirrors the ball very well and he is crafty in the passing lanes.  The strength isn't there yet, but the frame has room on it for bulk and his legs are already pretty strong.  If he actually is still growing, then he could end up being the best SF in the class and he could have hidden All Star potential.

• Like 1