Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

See right there, Hunter passed out of the double in the post when Culver drifted down to trap him.  He sees the floor.

Nice drive and kick for the open 3 to close the 1st half too. 

• Like 1

Hunter gets stuck pretty hard on back screens.  That is the one big flaw I've seen in his defense.  He has issues getting over those things and I think it's because he's just not as fluid a lateral mover as a guy like Culver is.  He's got a wide base that he just can't get around the legs and there are some balance issues that are noticeable.

Everything else he does on defense is elite.  He is a spectacular helper, post defender, on ball defender, and rebounder for his position.  It's an unfortunate flaw to have, and I wonder how much it can be corrected.

Hunter and Culver put on a show tonight.  The shooting wasn't pretty, but the defense was, and they looked like really good NBA wings.  Shades of Kawhi Leonard vs Paul George.

We have got to get one of these kids.  Don't really care which one, I think I'd be happy with either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

His thread is idiotic. He dismisses Hunter's threes even though he was as clutch as it gets. Somehow Hunter's three ball won't play in the NBA and apparently he's done developing as a player. Um, okay. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

His thread is idiotic. He dismisses Hunter's threes even though he was as clutch as it gets. Somehow Hunter's three ball won't play in the NBA and apparently he's done developing as a player. Um, okay.  

If that guy is one of our scouts, then that would explain some things about our drafting.

Clean the **** out of this house.  Everyone on down to the towel boys.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Culver clearly has NBA ability, but his decision making needs a lot of work.

Agreed.  I think that, plus the first step are the two big flaws in his game.

But coaching could be part of his poor decision making.  I think Beard might be asking him to do too much on offense, and that he's being coached to be a hero, which basically means he just gets stuck running point and chucking. 

He'd be more efficient if he got more of his touches off the catch.  Especially if he could be getting the ball in the post.   Their offense made him easy to guard tonight.  Not enough motion and back screening for him.  Not enough ball reversal or forced switching.  UVA's an aggressive switching team and yet Hunter was able to stay matched up on Culver for most of the game.

43 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Lol, I just read the thread you were talking about.  He's married to an awful take and his "for reasons" explanation for why the elite defense, rebounding, and corner three shooting won't translate to the NBA is dumb.  First off, Danuel House is not a good NBA player and it's a laughable comparison.  House is a 25 year old three point shooter with nothing else in his game.  Second, having a weak left hand <<<<< being an elite defender and rebounder with a good three ball, floor game, and inside scoring ability.

Would love to steal some front office talent from Denver.  Indy or Toronto would be great too.  Would love to hire people that actually know how to project college talent to the NBA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Lol, I just read the thread you were talking about.  He's married to an awful take and his "for reasons" explanation for why the elite defense, rebounding, and corner three shooting won't translate to the NBA is dumb.  First off, Danuel House is not a good NBA player and it's a laughable comparison.  House is a 25 year old three point shooter with nothing else in his game.  Second, having a weak left hand <<<<< being an elite defender and rebounder with a good three ball, floor game, and inside scoring ability.

Would love to steal some front office talent from Denver.  Indy or Toronto would be great too.  Would love to hire people that actually know how to project college talent to the NBA.

It was so laughably absurd for him to take that position then attempt to defend it. As you said earlier, Hunter was cold blooded shooting those threes. That will translate to the NBA. 

5 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I suppose the fear would be him turning into Otto Porter pt 2...

I think we're settling on this narrative that Otto was a bust because our idiot former general manager made a horrible trade to salary dump him.  Otto is a very good player who adds like nine to ten wins to your team.  He was good enough to hit the market and get a max extension even though he was underutilized and never fully developed here.  He's good, he was just expensive, and getting an Otto Porter for a 7th or 8th overall pick is huge value.

That said, I don't think Hunter's NBA comparison is Otto.  Hunter is a tank, and that strength and physicality define his playing style.  I think the fear is that he'll be the next DeMarre Carroll instead.  I'd say that's probably his floor.  But the ceiling is Kawhi Leonard.

-----------------------------

God it feels good to write "former GM" in reference to Ernie.  I've been in an era of good feelings ever since we got the wonderful news of his firing.

I know that it's sentimental and that the organization needs to be utterly ruthless as it tears out the rot of the Ernie Grunfeld era, but a big reason I don't really want to trade Brad is because I believe he used his clout with the organization to get Ernie fired.  We owe him.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I just really want to hammer home how stupid that guy is for harping on the left hand thing, to the point where he ignores every other part of Hunter's game.  Kawhi Leonard draft profiles:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kawhi-leonard

… He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand …

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kawhi-Leonard-5821/

If Leonard ever does develop into a more reliable isolation threat, improving his left hand should be among his top priorities, as despite seeing a near equal breakdown of drives in both directions (37 possessions going right, 35 going left), Leonard's efficiency going right (0.865 PPP) more than doubled his efficiency going left (0.429 PPP)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just really want to hammer home how stupid that guy is for harping on the left hand thing, to the point where he ignores every other part of Hunter's game.  Kawhi Leonard draft profiles:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kawhi-leonard

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kawhi-Leonard-5821/

Whats especially great is that he even flat out rejected a comparison to Kawhi when someone point out Kawhi didn’t have great handles when he was a prospect. 

• Like 1

Just now, ixcuincle said:

Maybe it's just me but how is Wall out for 2019-20 already? Injury that significant?

Guys don’t come back fast from a torn Achilles if there are no set backs. Demarcus took a year. While he’s heavier, obviously, Wall relies more on  his athleticism than brute force. Better to be conservative. Maybe he can be back in Jan/February

John won't ever be the player he used to be again.  We have to hope he can have a second phase of his career where he can handle a diminished role gracefully and use it as an opportunity to become a more efficient player and be much more consistent on defense.

We're not going to contend with a team built solely around John and Brad.  Perhaps we never would have, but it's impossible now.  I love them, but if we're honest, the only way you contend with them on a three piece construction is if John is your second best player and Brad is your third.

That could have been the case if we'd landed Durant or LeBron, but c'est la vie.

Instead, we're going to have to go with a Memphis style strength in numbers approach.  We need high caliber two way players at every spot.  And IMO, that starts with getting multiple forwards like Hunter/Culver PLUS getting a high caliber big.  That's why I'm fixating on Hunter/Culver and Jaxson Hayes.

We knew wall was going to lose his legs at some point. He had hopped a few years ago that he would develop a shot before it happened. He didnt. So there is literally no reason to rush him back. Hes just gonna **** up the draft position. If it were me im sitting him for the whole season, and limiting his minutes for the rest of his career and avoiding back to backs. Basically putting him on that Tim Duncan **** until the playoffs. Assuming he ever sees those again. 

• Like 2