Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Been seeing a lot of hype for Sekou Doumboya too.  He might have the best body among the lottery forwards and he's supposedly just turned 18, although that number smells like bull**** to me.  But the knock on him seems to be he is raw in all parts of the game.  He could end up being nothing and never come over to the NBA.  But sometimes taking a chance on raw strength and speed can work out.  I wouldn't necessarily hate picking him if we finish around 9 and Culver, Hunter, and Hayes are gone.  We could stash him overseas during the rebuild and try and truly bottom out next year.  I don't love that plan, but I think I like it better than drafting a softy like Cam Reddish.

Anyone else play 2K?  I play a small forward for the Wizards and just wrapped up a rookie season where the team went 79-3 with a nice 77 game win streak.  Interesting trades the team made were Ariza for Mason Plumlee and Troy Brown Jr for Dwyane Wade.  They will straight up clear out everyone at your position.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyone else play 2K?  I play a small forward for the Wizards and just wrapped up a rookie season where the team went 79-3 with a nice 77 game win streak.  Interesting trades the team made were Ariza for Mason Plumlee and Troy Brown Jr for Dwyane Wade.  They will straight up clear out everyone at your position.

man that myplayer seem intersting but people only complain about vc and pay to play online

the fun is in franchise. I'd just build a franchise in 2k with beal and wall and build around them. draft a power forward or if culver play him at the 3. Then unleash hell on bamas

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

man that myplayer seem intersting but people only complain about vc and pay to play online

the fun is in franchise. I'd just build a franchise in 2k with beal and wall and build around them. draft a power forward or if culver play him at the 3. Then unleash hell on bamas

I play My Player mode on XBox One.  It's pretty fun.  The pay for play only takes you so far because there are attribute caps that you have to raise through playing, so if you buy a bunch of VC you'll end up not having anything to spend it on except for cosmetic stuff.  This year they made VC a lot easier to make through playing.  It's way better than it was last year.  I made more than enough to level my player to his attribute caps without having to buy VC just by playing through the rookie season and doing the practices.  You also have to play to raise your skill badges, which are what really end up mattering in the games.

Is anyone else watching this UVA game?  DeAndre Hunter looks really good.  I need to see more of his cut ups, but so far I like what I've seen better than what I saw with Culver.  He's got an NBA ready body and he has a more rugged style.  Let's say Culver is more in the Paul George school of smooth, ball handling wing whereas Hunter is in the Kawhi Leonard school.

There is no way they'll end up being is good as them, just making the comparison of styles and body types.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1 - Zion

2 - Morant

3 - Barrett

4 - Garland 4th?

Then 5, 6, and 7 could be some order of Culver, Hunter, and Hayes.  If we end up picking 7th, we should probably get one of them, and I think any of them could help us.

ESPN dude, formerly of Draft Express, has us taking Sekou Doumboya at 8

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

ESPN dude, formerly of Draft Express, has us taking Sekou Doumboya at 8 

I've only seen cut ups, but my gut reaction to Doumbouya was not super positive.  He's quick footed and he is strong but he has no skill or feel for the game and he's not super explosive.  Feels like an Ernie pick that we have zero chance of successfully developing.  We get Jan Veselys from these sorts of picks, not Giannis Antetekounpos.  But supposedly he just turned 18, so he'd presumably have a lot of growing to do.

I can't really rationalize any reason for picking him over Culver, Hunter, nor Hayes.  Hayes in particular.  If you're picking a guy on raw upside and defensive potential, he's a better option than Doumbouya.

EDIT:  Doumbouya moves like Ian Mahinmi.  That's who he was reminding me of.  I don't like French players any more.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

So not a good first half from Culver.  You can see some of the issues with shot selection.  He'll force the issue and only pass the ball around when there is absolutely nothing there.  Which is strange because he's tall and actually seems to see the floor well and he has no trouble making skip passes.

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Culver looks huge matched up against Winston on D.

Culver hasn't done much offensively, but he has locked down Winston. Mich St offense looks lost without him scoring and distributing.

And lil JJ Reddick picking up the slack with the 3 ball. Mooney.

Edited by CRobi21

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Culver hasn't done much offensively, but he has locked down Winston. Mich St offense looks lost without him scoring and distributing. 

Yeah this has been his worst offensive performance from the games I've seen.  He's a step behind the action tonight and looks like he's been fighting his shot.  I've seen a hitch on his release of his jumper.

The defensive tools are pretty spectacular.  Everything looks so effortless for him.  Flips his hips like its the easiest thing to do and is always head up and totally under control.  He looks like an NBA player playing against college kids on that side of the court.