Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Wall has no value right now to anybody else. None. There is no reason to rush him back. This whole "might be back at the end of next year" thing is nonsense. 

Of course top picks can be busts. We've had them here. I don't know if Ernie picked a guy like Jan Vesely because his scouts graded him too high ,or despite what his scouts did. But if Ted is going to make the most of this right now. He has to invest in scouting because they need to get the most out of the few options they have.

Beal might be the teams only star.  Wall could very well be Arenas after the knee injury right now.  His injury, especially when considered in the context of his style and other injuries, could end his time as an NBA star.  Trading Beal could leave the team at zero, and what is he going to bring back in a trade that merits starting at zero?  A mid 1st round pick?  No terrible team is going to give up an unprotected pick for him, and if they did they probably wouldn't be terrible enough to end up being a #1 overall.  It would have to be a huge haul of picks to make it worth it for the Wizards. 

The Wizards can tank with Beal, and in two years season have more cap space, and three 1st round picks on the roster.  Trading Beal for additional 1st round picks would just make the team terrible for the next 7 years. 

The writing was on the wall for Grunfeld after that contentious practice earlier on in the season.  Even if they made the playoffs (and most likely got bounced in round 1,) I think he was going to be fired regardless. 

Bradley Beal got some guarantees from Leonsis after their meeting.  One of them was that Grunfeld was going to be replaced.  I'm sure of this.  You don't go from having your camp leak things to the media about your displeasure and not wanting to be here past your current deal, to saying you want to retire a Wizard in a matter of months. 

I was 100% sure Grunfeld was going to be canned. 

Next man up has a daunting task in front of them.  A team with little-to-no salary cap flexibility and bad contracts that need to be moved.  I'm curious as to who is going to be hired. 

I just hope that Brooks is the next guy to get fired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Sheppard might be a good choice, but I want the org to hire someone that has no ties. 

casualty of war

if he really knew his worth, he would have jumped off this sinking ship some time ago. Why stay if your voice is ignored?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I could get up to that Spurs game if I really, really wanted to.

Just putting that out there...

wall bobblehead night

you better be up there

Just now, justice98 said:

Best players get traded all the time.  That in and of itself isnt a reason to not trade somebody.

Maybe it's too much 2k but I don't agree that Beal has to be traded. It would make very little sense. With Wall and Beal healthy you have two of the best point guards in the East. So you don't need Culver unless he wants to play the 3. 

Build around Wall and Beal. Get a center. Get a power foward. This team despite all it's mediocrity is close to playoff contention. They just need a frontcourt. 

Beal going off on fools and now people want to deal him smh what would you get in return. He's one of the best guards in the East. You simply cannot deal him 

I knew this but to see it in writing is frankly shocking. 

Only three other current NBA executives have lasted as long as Grunfeld (San Antonio’s R.C. Buford, Miami’s Pat Riley, and Boston’s Danny Ainge). Those three teams rank first, fourth and seventh in winning percentage during the time Grunfeld has run the Wizards, and all three have won championships.  The Wizards ranked 24th in winning percentage during his tenure. 

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

wall bobblehead night

you better be up there

Maybe it's too much 2k but I don't agree that Beal has to be traded. It would make very little sense. With Wall and Beal healthy you have two of the best point guards in the East. So you don't need Culver unless he wants to play the 3. 

Build around Wall and Beal. Get a center. Get a power foward. This team despite all it's mediocrity is close to playoff contention. They just need a frontcourt. 

Beal going off on fools and now people want to deal him smh what would you get in return. He's one of the best guards in the East. You simply cannot deal him 

I think we really have to wonder about Wall though, at this point.  We dont know what he's gonna be when he comes back, which might not even be next year, might be 2020.  Beal will be in the last year of his deal if that's the case.  Having Wall in the rebuild plans would be a mistake.

Wouldn't be shocked if after 9 years at that point of floundering in mediocrity, Beal pulled an AD and said "I'm too good for this, I'm out".  

I'm not advocating to trade Beal, but I'm not dead set against it either.  He doesnt HAVE to be traded, but I see why someone might want think it's a good move. It's a valid argument.  

But you follow up "he's one of the best guards in the East" (which is selling him short), with "what would you get in return".  Umm, a lot.  You're not just trading him for trading hims sake.

If Leonsis is truly open to a new philosophy, then I know where the next team builder needs to focus their effort on: defense.  It's the #1 reason this team sucks.

My team building philosophy is that:

1 - offense and defense have equal value as the components of wins.

2 - The championship caliber teams are good at both.

3 - In order to be good at either, you must simultaneously establish a strong foundation for offense as well as one for defense.

4 - You need good guards to be your foundation for offense

5 - You need good forwards and centers to be your foundation for defense

6 - Building a good defense is a lot more complicated than building a good offense.  Consistency is much more of an issue and defenses atrophy a lot faster.  Five men have to be on a string and it takes trust, chemistry, talent, and culture to pull off.  All you need to score is a shot creator and a shot maker.

7 - The bottom will never fall out on a good defensive team like it will for offense only teams.  Even when their star offensive talent gets hurt or gets traded, as happened for the Clippers and Pacers.

8 - The old adage that effort is all it takes to play defense is bull****.  That's perhaps all it takes to play adequate defense.  But talent matters and is necessary to play excellent defense.  Defensive talent is comparable in value and rarity to offensive talent.  But the traits of defensive talent are not as well defined or understood as they are for offense.  They are absolutely not as well incentivized as developing good offensive skills.

9 - Defense is a young man's game for all but the most gifted defensive players.  Old bigs and forwards have tired legs.  They eventually stop fighting screens, hedging pick and rolls, closing out hard, hauling ass to recover to the low block, weakside helping, etc.  Poor habits are the death of good defense.  It takes a special player to still do this as he approaches and/or passes 30.  You have to constantly replenish your forward and big talent in the way that Toronto has in order to maintain a top notch defense.

We've had steadily good offenses because we spent so much of our team building resources on John and Brad.  But we had too much of a star chasing mentality rather than a team building mentality.  We compromised our roster trying to facilitate ball dominant guard play and we acquired a bunch of bigs and forwards who are ****ing terrible defensive players.  We burned through our greatest resource for building the defense--draft picks--in order to acquire a bunch of offensive minded role players who just plugged holes on that end of the court.

We have got to get an entirely new coaching staff.  These guys are weak coaches who utterly failed to establish a competent defensive system.

We have got to get some rock fighters.  Through draft, trade, and/or free agency.  No more ****ing Antawn Jamison forwards.  No more Marcin Gortat centers.  Not a single one, ever again.  If a forward or center can't play defense then don't want him.  This 100% includes Jabari Parker and Bobby Portis.  And we need to be 100% honest about Thomas Bryant's defensive potential.  If his trash defense can't be improved then he needs to walk too.  And we also need some junk yard dog guards who are willing to pressure the damn ball on the perimeter and run through some screens.  John and Brad are crap defensive players and having them on the court together causes points of failure on the perimeter that cascade throughout the defense.  Hopefully they'll be reflective about this disastrous season and the next staff that comes in can humble them and get them playing better on that side of the court.  But just as they drag along lesser players on the offensive end, we need the defensive players to drag them along on D.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocky21 said:

Ted gives some insight into why he is such a terrible owner in this interview.  He said he never even talked to anyone with the Wizards because they all reported to Ernie.  Really unbelievable. 

https://www.bulletsforever.com/videos/2019/4/3/18293307/washington-wizards-ted-leonsis-ernie-grunfeld-media-interview

I guess that's a good thing he doesn't meddle like Snyder. Do you want Dan Snyder running the Wizards? 

Just now, Rocky21 said:

Ted gives some insight into why he is such a terrible owner in this interview.  He said he never even talked to anyone with the Wizards because they all reported to Ernie.  Really unbelievable. 

https://www.bulletsforever.com/videos/2019/4/3/18293307/washington-wizards-ted-leonsis-ernie-grunfeld-media-interview

Not surprising really because if he had ever talked to anyone else he wouldn't have been so oblivious as to what everyone else in Washington dc knew. He said he ownership style would have to change. He didn't mention talking to more people, and im not so sure that he should (Dan talks to people) but I do hope he keeps his ear to the group and actually takes action when he sees a problem below him that wont be fixed without him. Its comes from the top, as they say. 

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

I guess that's a good thing he doesn't meddle like Snyder. Do you want Dan Snyder running the Wizards? 

He never even talked to anyone affiliated with the organization.  Just Ernie.  You see the result.  

• Like 1