Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Anyone know of a good nba mock draft site now that ESPN has poached DX's creative talent?

I think the consensus seems to be pretty clear that the top three picks are Zion, Ja, and RJ, in that order.  But who are 4 and 5?  Trying to get a feel for what our options at 6-9 will be.

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Damn just realized NBCWash doesn't call the last game. Buck's send off "Hope you have a good summer everyone, and HOPE to see you in the fall."

So when I met Buckhantz during the last home game last Friday many people approached him and talked about his contract and he said he knew nothing about it and wanted to see how it would play out. I would hope that this wasn't his last game as the Wizards broadcaster. The games have already been very tough to watch, and that's with him and Phil. Replacing them with nobodies would further infuriate this fanbase. 

• Like 1

I had the game against a 14 win Knicks team as a win.  And what a nice surprise to see the Pelicans beat the Kings.  Thank you Tank Gods. 

It looks like the Celtics (who are locked into the 4 seed) are going to trot their third stringers out there so cross your fingers for Tuesday night. 

Edited by Rocky21

Still early in the draft process, but my initial gut reactions have been:

Don't want: Bol Bol, Darrius Garland, & Cam Reddish

Don't really want, but certainly won't get out the torch and pitchfork: Rui Hachimura, Coby White

Do want: Jarrett Culver, DeAndre Hunter, Jaxson Hayes, Brandon Clarke

Intrigued by: Romeo Langford, Bruno Fernando, Sekou Doumbaya, Keldon Johnson, Nassir Little

I'm close to putting Doumbaya on the don't want list, but given he just turned 18 and is already 6'9 with a strong body, if he grows to the 6'11 range, he becomes much more interesting.  A true center who is a scrapper and has footspeed and shooting range out to three is worth looking at.

Don't want Garland or Reddish at all.  Garland looks like a child, not an NBA player.  He won't be able to guard anyone and he's probably years away from being valuable on offense.  Reddish has bust written all over him: passive, more turnovers than assists, streaky outside jumper, inconsistent effort on defense.  No thank you.  Don't want Bol either.  I read some really unflattering things about his intangibles, and I don't want to take a 7'2 kid with a broken foot.

17 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That was a heck of a tank job.

Scott even let Mahinmi get in the game (who immediately missed a point blank layup)

We could have had a top 3 chance wrapped up if ted didnt continue with that "make the playoffs" mantra after the all-star break

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

He's absolutely as tall as Hunter is.  He stood next to Diakite earlier and looked about the same height and Diakite is listed at 6'9.

If this kid is still growing and hits 6'10+, you're starting to talk about a Giannis type ball handling PF with DPOY potential.  His ceiling goes through the roof.

• Like 1

Not the best half from either Hunter or Culver, but for different reasons.  Hunter is battling his shot and missing open looks from outside and missed some FTs.  Culver is taking and bricking bad shots.  Hunter is doing a great job of staying in front of Culver and contesting everything he tries to take.

Culver's lack of first step is the big flaw in his game.  He isn't fast enough to blow by Hunter or get separation from him.

4 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Idk, I don’t see anything special in Hunter. I’d be happier with Culver 

I think Culver clearly has more upside but he's got some BBIQ issues IMO.

Hunter's upside is heavily dependent on whether or not he becomes a much more confident ball handler and shot creator off the dribble.  If this is who he is, then you're looking at an OG Anunoby/Justise Winslow type role player.  But if he gets a floor game, then he becomes a high end #2.

Khris Middleton feels like a realistic floor for Culver.  His on ball defense is special, his help defense is great, and he has some real scoring skill.

Hunter overpowered Culver on that drive.

Feels like Hunter got the better of Culver in this first half.  He locked him up on defense.  And then on offense he was able to use his strength to get into the paint.  His offensive rebounding was a factor too.  Got blocked twice in a row and just kept getting the ball back until he was able to draw the foul.  He's got the knack for tough rebounding.  Saw him get an offensive rebound and putback score last round where he beat Auburn's two bigs for the ball and there were no other white jerseys in sight.

50 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Pretty sure I just heard the pregame announcer say Jarret Culver was 6'9.  Holy crap.

Any chance he goes 3# ahead of Barrett?

Not unless he has a huge second half. 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not unless he has a huge second half. 

I think you're right.  But one bad shooting game won't effect his stock, particularly because he's an upside pick.

That said, seeing him struggle to get separation against an NBA caliber defender is revelatory.  Hunter is a friggin glove, but that's the kind of speed and strength Culver will have to deal with next year.  He's going to have to get stronger and more explosive to hit his potential in the NBA.

Zion and Ja are locked in at 1 and 2.  Barrett feels safe at 3.  I think 4 is not out of reach for Culver, especially if he hits 6'9.  Garland will be an option if Chicago gets #4, but not for Atlanta at 5.  But I wouldn't rule out Chicago picking Culver either, and building up a young forward stable.  They need a point guard though, and Garland has Kemba Walker/Kyrie Irving-like scoring ability.  Garland probably should be the pick at 4.

So Culver's ceiling might be 5, and if we get to 6th, we might be in range for him.

Yeah Hunter is really getting the better of Culver tonight.  He hasn't shot well but he isn't forcing anything.  Reading the flow of the game, rebounding like an animal, and playing elite defense.  Making stuff happen with his drives.

Culver is pressing his ass off.  This is my fear with him.  He plays hero ball instead of team ball way too often and turns into a full on chucker.

But by God can he play some defense.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

See right there, Hunter passed out of the double in the post when Culver drifted down to trap him.  He sees the floor.

Hunter is going to be good. He seems to be a beast defensively already from the limited times I've seen him play.