2 - Morant

Tier 2 - Star caliber scorers

3 - Barrett

4 - Garland

Tier 3 - High end two way players

5 - Culver

6 - Hunter

7 - Hayes

I am confident that those seven are the best prospects in the class, and that there is a pretty big drop from tier three to tier four.  Tanking is important.

We can get whichever of Culver or Hunter is left if we get sixth and Garland goes fourth.  If we end up at 7, we can take Hayes.

We can still get leapfrogged and moved down to 8th by a team behind us, but that's not super likely.

We can also **** up and pick Cam Reddish.  But I'm hoping the next GM leads a front office that is actually good at drafting.

• Like 2

Wish we would have lost one more game down the stretch but the 6th or 7th best chance at the # 1 pick is pretty good considering all of the **** we've had to endure this season. 

Thank you Mavs.  As far tonight....Huge Grizzlies fan here. 

I just peak into RealGM's draft thread for old time's sake, to see what the groupthink is like in other circles.  Let's just say they don't give a **** about defense.

This was my issue before my little WIzards sabbatical too.  When you watch 82 games a year of just god forsakenly bad defense, you're going to devalue it and perhaps even begin to believe that good defense doesn't exist.  But when you step away and see how other teams--successful teams--operate, you see how ****ed up we actually are.  You see the way they play and develop their young talent.  You see the way they play defense, and the culture of competitiveness they have.  You see their depth in quality.  And you see the in game adjustments and preparation that are the hallmarks of good coaching.  And then you go back and watch the Wizards and all of the things we do wrong become obvious.

Anyway, one of the many things we've been doing wrong is by hoarding all of these **** ass forwards and bigs who play zero defense.  I truly believe that we need to commit to a strategy of never drafting or signing another forward or big who sucks at defense.  Bad defense is contagious and a few bad apples ruin the bunch.  We're basically stuck with Wall and Beal.  I do not want to see us miss this golden opportunity to get a defensive foundation piece by overvaluing offense and drafting another guard who either sucks at defense or won't make a dent on that end (White, Garland, etc.).

And I definitely don't want to bring in any soft ass offensive-minded forwards or centers (Bol, Hachimura, Reddish).

I want to draft a true foundation piece for D like Culver, Hayes, Hunter, or possibly the French kid.  I want to keep Sato because he is a legitimately good defensive player.  I want to keep Troy Brown because he has a chance to be.  I want to keep Ariza if he's cheap.  And then I want to replace everyone else in the rotation within the next two offseasons.

• Like 1

If we pick White or Garland, that virtually necessitates trading Beal down the line.  Can't afford to play three 6'5 and under guards at once.  Can't afford to pay three guards foundation piece money.  Can't afford to use a 6th overall pick on a back up guard.

At six we're basically guaranteed one of Culver, Hunter, or Hayes, and I think that's the route I prefer to go.  If we drop down to seventh and those guys are gone, then I guess the French prospect is the next best choice for us.  But all signs point to Hunter being the most likely pick.

1 - New York - Zion

2 - Phoenix - Morant

3 - Cleveland - Barrett

4 - Chicago - Garland

5 - Atlanta - Culver

6 - Washington - Hunter

If we jump up to two or three, I would try and trade down.  Offer Ja Morant to Chicago for their 5th pick and their next first.

• Like 1

Just like Steve said above, it's amazing we didn't pull a #SoWizards move down the stretch and win out.  Losing the last 4 games was a God send and got us the 6th best chance in the draft.  What an awesome building block for our new GM.

• Like 3