Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I didn't say it was easy to teach...I said it is the easiest to teach. there are a ton of players like LeBron, Dwade, Paul, Rose etc. who aren't very good shooters coming into the league....and they improve.

True, but the guys you listed are dominant natural talents that you figure eventually they'll be able to shoot at an NBA level.

I'd love to be able to get a guy with the 6th pick who just does nothing but wet open shots. Other than Young we basically don't have anyone who can shoot worth a damn on this team. Then again we also lack defenders, rebounders, and pretty much every other role outside of PG and 6th man spark.

[/color]oh and by the way destino...your description of that SF: defense, finishing around the rim, rebounding.......add good passer to that and you have LeBron James...he is not a great shooter...he has improved over the course of the last 7 years...but he used to be a sub par shooter. Dwade is another example of a guy who wasn't a good shooter when he came into the league....

he might be called a SF but we all know he's a point forward. Such a player couldn't coexist with John Wall or any point guard that needs the ball (which is why I said from day one Lebron would never never never go to Chicago).

I was thinking Leonard would look more like Gerald Wallace.

Edited by Destino

It seemed that last year we were really into the draft day trades. We got Seraphin and Hinrich for some cash and some Euro player that we never used. Then we got Booker and then we got N'Daiye for two other picks we had. And we all know about the Miller/Foye trade we made, so its not new to us.

Looking back, both those trades seem to have worked for us, as the first landed us with Crawford and a first this year, and the second landed us with Booker.

I wonder if some of the other teams in the lower parts of the first round would be willing to give up their pics for cash this year. Some of those teams may have philosophies similar to what we had in that Foye/Miller trade, in that they think that they're winning now and don't need to develop talent. The question then becomes who could we get if we picked up an extra pick in the early to mid 20s?

A bunch of post-lottery mocks

Draft Express:

6. Jan Vesely (Bismack one pick later)

18. Jordan Hamilton

34. Trey Thompkins

Personally consider DX to be the best NBA Draft website. Head and shoulders above the others.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/

Walter Football:

6. Jan Vesely (Again Bismack goes one pick later to the Kings)

18. Reggie Jackson

34. Jereme Richmond

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2011mock.php

Draft Tek:

6. Kemba Walker :rolleyes:

18. Markieff Morris

34. Josh Selby :doh:

http://www.drafttek.com/NBAround12011.asp

Why in the hell we'd take 1 1/2 PG's is beyond me. Bookmark deleted.

Mad House Bulletin:

6. Jan Vesely

18. Chris Singleton

34. Keith Benson

http://www.madhousebulletin.com/nbadraft.htm

NBA Draft Room:

6. Tristan Thompson

18. Tyler Honeycutt (My guy! Though I want him at 34)

34. Nikola Mirotic (saw him compared to Gallinari somewhere else)

For some reason they have us picking ahead of Toronto at 5. Not that it matters as Toronto is taking Brandon Knight.

http://nbadraftroom2.blogspot.com/p/2011-nba-mock-draft.html

Hoops Addict:

6. Jan Vesely

18. Chris Singleton

34. N/A - Don't see a page for the 2nd round

http://www.hoopsaddict.com/2011-nba-mock-draft/

College Hoops Update:

6. Bismack Biyombo (keep the dream alive!!!)

18. Klay Thompson

34. N/A - See Hoops Addict

http://collegehoopsupdate.com/html/mock_nba_draft_2011.php

And of course the ever famous--God knows why--nbadraft.net has nothing new and was beat out by Mad Hous Bulletins. I really wouldn't be shocked if it takes them another week. That site seems to be peoples go to's. Please stop it. Deshawn Stevenson = Michael Jordan!!!

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 05:14 AM ----------

Unfortunately, despite my imagination and wishful thinking, Kanter is gone by 6 in every single one of them. I also need to do some more research on Vesely. So far, he's definitely more athletic than your typical Euro. A high flyer even. And he's 6'11.

As I've said multiple times, I really think the best player to come out of this class is going to be one of the International guys. Just nobody has a clue which one. I think i'd rather roll the dice on one of them then go safe. The pros outweigh the cons imo. The potential upside is enormous and missing at 6 won't kill us.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Can Vesely shoot? From his highlight videos, he looks like someone who can be an excellent running partner with Wall/Young/Crawford/McGee. Good size, quickness and hops. But he's skinny as hell and if he can't shot then his quickness and hops are pointless.

he might be called a SF but we all know he's a point forward. Such a player couldn't coexist with John Wall or any point guard that needs the ball (which is why I said from day one Lebron would never never never go to Chicago).

I hate LeBron and I thin he is a loser by nature, but he is a very unselfish player that I don't believe has to always have the ball in his hands....he had to in Cleveland because they didn't have anyone else to facilitate the offense...he has never played with a true pg.

I was thinking Leonard would look more like Gerald Wallace.

That's who they compare him to...and I'd be 100% fine with spending #6 on him if he was going to develop into a Gerald Wallace type player. I really haven't seen enough of his game to comment on who I think he'd compare to in the pros....but Gerald would fit the description of a high motor dirty work type player who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. If Gerald Wallace/Leonard is the second or third best player on your team..you are in pretty good shape.

Looking at the Thunder's model...I see who ever we draft this year being our Jeff Green (before the trade) James Harden or Ibaka post trade...we already have our Durrant....still waiting on Westbrook.

We are probably best off sucking again next year and picking up the Robbin to our Batman....the way it is looking now...you can probably get a potential allstar player in next year's draft with a top 8 pick.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 07:25 AM ----------

I

I wonder if some of the other teams in the lower parts of the first round would be willing to give up their pics for cash this year. Some of those teams may have philosophies similar to what we had in that Foye/Miller trade, in that they think that they're winning now and don't need to develop talent. The question then becomes who could we get if we picked up an extra pick in the early to mid 20s?

I asked Ted about this in an email and he told me they wouldn't be doing that....he said with the three draft picks from last year, Crawford, and three picks this year, we have plenty of young talent to build on and don't really need to be bringing in any more rookies on top of that.....which makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't mind buying a pick and packaging it with 6 and maybe Blatche to move up into the draft....but I doubt that happens.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 07:31 AM ----------

I also need to do some more research on Vesely. So far, he's definitely more athletic than your typical Euro. A high flyer even. And he's 6'11.

From what I've seen and read...he can't shoot.....he also isn't known for defense or rebounding.....so if his only pro is athleticism and getting to the basket against soft euro players...I think I'll pass....but this is after doing very little research on this guy...I might be totally off base.

I think i'd rather roll the dice on one of them then go safe. The pros outweigh the cons imo. The potential upside is enormous and missing at 6 won't kill us.

I'm thinking the other way around....I'd rather take a safe pick and at least get a guy who can contribute to this team for the next 5 years. I'm sticking with trading the pick for Rudy Gay...but if that doesn't happen and we can't move up...I'm going with Leonard.

A trade proposal from another message board.

I think Utah at #3 is the best candidate for a trade up. I don't think Kanter will drop pass Cleveland at #4 as they will need a scoring big to pair with either Sideshow or Hickson and Kanter is the best fit. Utah doesn't seem to have an immediate need for a big and one of Knight or Kemba should still be available at #6 since Cleveland will unlikely draft another PG.

I trade #6 + #18 for #3 draft Kanter and be satisfied. The question is whether that would be enough. With the second round pick you draft an upperclassmen from a winning program with high IQ and work ethic.

A trade proposal from another message board.

I'd consider that pending a medical evaluation on Kanter's knees. If not, I'd just take Bismack at 6 and hope someone like Chris Singleton is there at 18. Role players who give you elite defensive skills inside and out.

I like his suggestion about the second round pick. My vote is for Justin Harper or Marshon Brooks. If Josh Selby is there though, that's an interesting option too.

I think both Selby and Brooks will be long gone before the 2nd round...same for Harper. From what I've been reading, both Selby/Brooks have been KILLING it in workouts. Darius Morris will probably be there in the 2nd when we have our pick...I like his game, and IMO, would probably be a lock for the 1st if he had stuck around Ann Arbor for another year.

*Someone school me....with what happened in the NFL draft a few weeks ago, will teams be able to make trades on draft night with the looming lockout?

Just gotta find a way to get rid of Blatche...again, I don't even care if we get fair value in return, he needs to go. It's what's best for this team.

I think both Selby and Brooks will be long gone before the 2nd round...same for Harper. From what I've been reading, both Selby/Brooks have been KILLING it in workouts. Darius Morris will probably be there in the 2nd when we have our pick...I like his game, and IMO, would probably be a lock for the 1st if he had stuck around Ann Arbor for another year.

You're probably right about Selby and Brooks but there is still a good amount of time until draft day so anything can happen. I think Harper might slip into the second but then again, I can also see the Spurs showing interest in a player like him.

Some of my favorites with our second two picks:

- Davis Bertans (a hell of a shooter and super long, everyone is looking for the next Dirk right?)

- Chris Singleton (best perimeter stopper in the draft)

- Klay Thompson (another great shooter)

- Kenneth Faried (why not?)

- Lucas Noguiera (upside is ridiculous, again why not?)

- Jereme Richmond (like Selby, underperformed as freshman but huge upside)

- Tyler Honeycutt (multitool wing who could crack our starting lineup)

- Nikola Vucevic (tough looking big who played pretty well in the play in game against VCU, Nick Collison?)

- Jimmy Butler (still need a 3).

Just gotta find a way to get rid of Blatche...again, I don't even care if we get fair value in return, he needs to go. It's what's best for this team.

We're selling ourselves short if we don't get at least something decent in return for Blatche. Blatche's numbers are good and his contract is reasonable. Some stupid or desperate GM will give up something of quality to get him. We shouldn't wait to trade Blatche if a decent offer is on the table but we also shouldn't rush a trade for a crap offer.

The Curse

I think it started in the 1985 draft when we passed on Karl Malone and instead chose Kenny Green with the 12th pick. The Jazz selected the Mailman with the 13th pick and the rest is history.

Bernard King became an all-star, then injures himself after the break and essentially never playing for the Bullets again.

Four-time all-star Mark Price came to town in 1995 to be the point guard the Bullets needed before suffering injuries that would limit him to a total of seven games here.

Then there was John "Hot Plate" Williams, the 6-foot-7 phenom out of Louisiana State whose game was so sweet he made Magic Johnson rave . . . until Williams ate himself out of the league. "Dinner Bell" Mel Turpin did the same. Kevin Duckworth seemed to weigh about 280 when the Bullets acquired him, but got up to 325 or so before training camp.

The Bullets were poised and ready to draft Reggie Miller out of UCLA in 1987, but the Pacers unexpectedly snatched him and the Bullets wound up with Muggsy Bogues . . . for a year until he left in the expansion draft. Gheorghe Muresan appeared to be the giant centerpiece for a pretty imposing front line with Chris Webber and Juwan Howard, except that Muresan hurt his back filming the movie "My Giant" with Billy Crystal over the summer after that 1997 playoff appearance and for all practical purposes was done. Webber, who represented as much hope as Arenas and Butler together when he arrived in 1994 and wasn’t smoking pot and having run ins with the law on the way to practice, suffered a shoulder injury and went off to titillate other teams with playoff runs there. Even when Howard remained with the Bullets, via a David Stern mulligan, his $105 contract turned the town against him. He was also arrested on a drunk driving charge.

Terry Davis, Tim Legler, Jeff McInnis and Ben Wallace were traded to the Orlando Magic for Ike Austin. ike Austin! He averaged 6.7 points and 4.8 rebounds over 59 games while Ben Wallace made four NBA All-Star teams and had four NBA Defensive Player of the Year awards.

The franchise finally gets the No. 1 pick in the draft -- and the only thing worse than having the No. 1 pick in a year when there's no great franchise-altering player, is taking a high school kid. Kwame Brown turns out to be the worst No. 1 overall pick since LaRue Martin in 1972. Michael Jordan, the second greatest winner in league history after Bill Russell, turns out to be a HORRIBLE evaluator of talent.

Then came the Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace trades. Andray Blatche got shot before he played his first game. The stupid one year rental of Randy Foye and Mike Miller.

And now the Wiz fall from 4th to 6th and are likely to draft a Euro named Jan. Just shoot me now.

If we stay at 6, I think the pick should be Bismack. He looks so much more solid than the other Euros (except Kanter). Vesley didn't really impress me all that much and Montiejunas has a lot of "stay away" warning signs for a Euro. Valanciunas is definitely the most interesting Euro big after Bismack and Kanter since he can shoot and he's a good athlete and he's a tough/high motor player defying the Euro stereotype.

I don't want Vesley or any of the Euros from his year (1990 I believe). I want to get the Euros from 1992. They're younger and it looks like a much stronger class.

Bismack has the mental tools to make it in the NBA. He's scrappy and tough as hell, speaks like five languages fluently (including English), is a fantastic leader, and has a huge motor. Plus he's an elite athlete who's going to have an NBA body by year two or three. He's Ben Wallace.

I'd rather have Kanter though because of the offensive skills he brings to the table. If it looks like he's not making it out of the top 3 (Cleveland eyeing him at 4), then I'd probably trade up for him. Who does Minny take at 2? Kanter is in play if they're thinking center. DWill is in play if they're thinking Beasley can move. Irving is their best bet if they can admit they were wrong with Flynn and Rubio.

If Irving goes first I think you might try and trade up with Minnesota to get Dwill or Kanter. If Dwill goes first and Irving goes second, I think you trade up with Utah and get Kanter (they'd have three first round picks). They get Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker at 6 instead of 3 plus another first to come back around and get Jimmer at 18 if they want.

I think if you're not getting Kanter/Dwill/Irving in this draft then you're getting role players. That's not bad, but I'd rather get another foundational piece like Kanter if we've got a shot.

Pending Kanter's knees checking out alright of course.

You're probably right about Selby and Brooks but there is still a good amount of time until draft day so anything can happen. I think Harper might slip into the second but then again, I can also see the Spurs showing interest in a player like him.

Some of my favorites with our second two picks:

- Davis Bertans (a hell of a shooter and super long, everyone is looking for the next Dirk right?)

- Chris Singleton (best perimeter stopper in the draft)

- Klay Thompson (another great shooter)

- Kenneth Faried (why not?)

- Lucas Noguiera (upside is ridiculous, again why not?)

- Jereme Richmond (like Selby, underperformed as freshman but huge upside)

- Tyler Honeycutt (multitool wing who could crack our starting lineup)

- Nikola Vucevic (tough looking big who played pretty well in the play in game against VCU, Nick Collison?)

- Jimmy Butler (still need a 3).

We're selling ourselves short if we don't get at least something decent in return for Blatche. Blatche's numbers are good and his contract is reasonable. Some stupid or desperate GM will give up something of quality to get him. We shouldn't wait to trade Blatche if a decent offer is on the table but we also shouldn't rush a trade for a crap offer.

I think Blatche is a cancer. He's nothing but toxic to the team. It's one of those situations where it would be addition by subtraction. In a dream scenario, we package him on draft night with the #6. I am hoping some GM will reach and be intrigued by his skill-set to take him on. Wall is the future of the team, and I think it's in the best interest both on and off the court to surround #2 with guys who have hunger/desire to win and represnt the team/city in an appropriate fashion when not playing ball. We need contributing players who can match Wall's intensity. I look at the passion from guys like Noah, Boozer (strongly dislike the guy), Gibson, etc and think "why not us?" Look at the make up of the Bulls (which is a team I think we should try to model ourselves after), there is no cancerous player on that roster. Bottom line, he's got to go.

*What do you all think of moving Booker to the 3? Does he have the range, and can he stretch opposing defenses?

If we stay at 6, I think the pick should be Bismack. He looks so much more solid than the other Euros (except Kanter). Vesley didn't really impress me all that much and Montiejunas has a lot of "stay away" warning signs for a Euro. Valanciunas is definitely the most interesting Euro big after Bismack and Kanter since he can shoot and he's a good athlete and he's a tough/high motor player defying the Euro stereotype.

I don't want Vesley or any of the Euros from his year (1990 I believe). I want to get the Euros from 1992. They're younger and it looks like a much stronger class.

Bismack has the mental tools to make it in the NBA. He's scrappy and tough as hell, speaks like five languages fluently (including English), is a fantastic leader, and has a huge motor. Plus he's an elite athlete who's going to have an NBA body by year two or three. He's Ben Wallace.

I'd rather have Kanter though because of the offensive skills he brings to the table. If it looks like he's not making it out of the top 3 (Cleveland eyeing him at 4), then I'd probably trade up for him. Who does Minny take at 2? Kanter is in play if they're thinking center. DWill is in play if they're thinking Beasley can move. Irving is their best bet if they can admit they were wrong with Flynn and Rubio.

If Irving goes first I think you might try and trade up with Minnesota to get Dwill or Kanter. If Dwill goes first and Irving goes second, I think you trade up with Utah and get Kanter (they'd have three first round picks). They get Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker at 6 instead of 3 plus another first to come back around and get Jimmer at 18 if they want.

I think if you're not getting Kanter/Dwill/Irving in this draft then you're getting role players. That's not bad, but I'd rather get another foundational piece like Kanter if we've got a shot.

Pending Kanter's knees checking out alright of course.

I have no earthly idea what Minnesota does. I have no earthly idea what Minnesota's plan is. The two picks that make sense for them are Williams and Kanter. But aren't those guys redundant on that roster? Isn't Kanter the same as Darko? Isn't Williams the same as Beasley?

At some point, Minnesota has to trade somebody and get older.

I've just spent ten minutes staring at Minnesota's roster, and I don't see how you can add a lottery pick and come up with a rotation that makes sense. I'm not even sure what Kahn is pissed about. It's not like he is lacking in point guards.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Blatche isn't going anywhere unless we get a starting 4 from someone. I'm fairly certain of that. I wonder if wizards fans realize we only have 7 signed players that aren't restricted free agents.

Next seasons roster not counting restricted free agents:

PG - John Wall, Jordan Crawford

SG -

SF - Rashard Lewis,

PF - Andray Blatche, Trevor Booker

C - JaVale McGee, Kevin Seraphin

The wizards aren't in position to dump anyone right now with there being a lock out and no free agency.

*Someone school me....with what happened in the NFL draft a few weeks ago, will teams be able to make trades on draft night with the looming lockout?

The labor situation should have no effect on the draft and any movement of players during the draft and a few days afterward. The lockout is officially scheduled to go into effect on July 1, so everything will be business as usual during the draft.

As Destino mentions Free agency is going to be screwed, but the draft should be unaffected.

Edited by lovetoaster

Blatche isn't going anywhere unless we get a starting 4 from someone. I'm fairly certain of that. I wonder if wizards fans realize we only have 7 signed players that aren't restricted free agents.

Next seasons roster not counting restricted free agents:

PG - John Wall, Jordan Crawford

SG -

SF - Rashard Lewis,

PF - Andray Blatche, Trevor Booker

C - JaVale McGee, Kevin Seraphin

The wizards aren't in position to dump anyone right now with there being a lock out and no free agency.

Crawford can play 2 so you've got a set of starters under contract with a few decent reserves. That's not a huge issue.

I agree that you can't really afford to lose both NY and Blatche in the same offseason without an offensive replacement unless Javale is a better scorer than we realize or Rashard Lewis is prepared to take on a huge part of our scoring. Can't only have Wall and Crawford as your scorers.

The draft should alleviate some of those problems though. We've got three picks and all three will probably make the team if we don't get anyone in FA. The guy we take at 6 will either be a rookie starter or a key reserve (unless we take a Euro whose contract we can't buy out... Valanciunas).

Kawhi Leonard and Enes Kanter start as rookies for us because Kanter probably means we traded Blatche and we've really got no 3 here.

This could be a pretty good plan:

- Trade 6 and 18 and Blatche to the Jazz for 3 and 12. Take Kanter and BPA at those picks (Singleton?). The Jazz still get the players they want at 6 and 18 anyway: Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker and maybe Jimmer Fredette.

Then again, we might be able to get Kanter and Singleton at 6 and 18 depending on which mocks you read.

What do you guys think about this Euro player with our second rounder? Bojan Bogdanovic

He sounds interesting to me.

In general I'd be trying to figure out this group of Euros because the NCAA guys aren't that great. If we don't trade out of 6 and don't like Leonard, I think we should be looking Euroleague big (be it Kanter, Biyombo, Vesely, or Valanciunas) and then I think we could do well trying to find a Euroleague shooter/scorer in the second (Bertans, Bogdanovic, Fournier).

Go into next season hoping for a top 6-8 pick so you can find a legit starting 3 or 4 with All Star potential (Quincy Miller, Michael Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes).

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

Davis Bertans as a Peja Stojakovic type?

I've been looking up information on Kawhi Leonard and the Euroleague guys all morning and I just got done listening to Bill Simmons' and Chad Ford's conversation on the lottery taped just before the order was determined.

Side note, how eery is it that both Simmons and Chad Ford called Cleveland getting the first pick with the Clippers pick? Chad Ford ran the mock draft machine and that's exactly what happened.

Other side notes, Chad Ford said he wanted to see either the Kings or the Wizards get the top pick in the draft. Said he loves Leonsis and wants to see him turn around DC basketball. Said he thought Derrick Williams would have been a great fit and second banana for John Wall. Said that the Kings could really use Irving to facilitate their scorers.

OK so this is what I've gleaned. Ford thinks Kanter has the best upside in the class but involves too much guesswork since the last thing he did was the Summit game in 2010. He said he's scared off from DWill because he's a tweener and that he needs to find the right situation to become a quality player (thought he needed to find a home as a 3). He said Kyrie Irving was the cleanest player in the class but that he'd never be better than the 8th-12th best PG in the league and was unlikely to ever crack the All Star game because of the logjam of great young PGs. They wondered if you take a player who might never make an All Star game first overall. Ford pointed out that players like Irving don't get your GM fired so he made some sense at first overall.

They talked about each of the Euros. Simmons loved Kanter and thought he sounded like Larry Bird (was joking... somewhat). He loved Kanter's skill set and intelligence and toughness, etc. Ford and Simmons did not like Valanciunas much at all. Thought he was tough but didn't really do anything great and didn't have much of an NBA position. They liked Vesely a lot more because he's a rare athlete that likes to posterize opponents. They like his motor and aggressiveness and the fact that he has a bankable skill that translates to the NBA. Simmons LOVED Bismack and thought he'd be a Serge Ibaka style pick (another player he loves). Ford thinks Bismack can come in day one and play defense at a high level. He thinks he's a Ben Wallace clone. Ford mentioned the concerns about Bismack's which scared him. Apparently he hasn't heard about the results of Bismack's bone test which are supposed to squash those concerns.

The consensus on those top four Euro bigs is that Valanciunas wasn't all that great (I had liked him before I heard their take). Vesely is an NBA athlete for sure, playing on one of the best teams in the Euroleague and putting up big numbers so Ford didn't think he'd be another Darko. They thought Bismack could be another Serge Ibaka or Ben Wallace. And they thought Kanter was the highest upside pick in the class and Simmons said he'd probably take him first overall if he were a GM since he's the swing for the fences guy.

I've also been reading up on Kawhi Leonard, whom they didn't mention. Here's Chad Ford's analysis on him: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19534/kawhi-leonard

May 12 Update: Kawhi Leonard is a big-time prospect. The San Diego State forward remains a bit of an enigma to NBA scouts. He ranked as just the 56th-best high school prospect in the class of 2009 by ESPNU and didn't really come on until his senior year in high school.

As a freshman he drew raves for his athletic ability, motor and rebounding, but scouts struggled to see exactly how he fit at the next level. Last season he helped lead the Aztecs to one of the best records in college basketball and drew serious attention from scouts. But after the season, the NBA was still largely split on what his pro potential was.

While we had Leonard in the top 14 of our Big Board most of the year, a number of NBA executives were much more pessimistic about his future. They pointed to his "tweener" status and subpar perimeter shooting as concerns. A few weeks ago, one GM told me he thought Leonard was, at best, a role player at the next level.

I respectfully disagree, as do a handful of NBA execs and scouts. I was blown away by Leonard at the workouts. Not only is his physical profile impressive (huge hands, long wing span, NBA body), but also he's much more skilled than your typical high-energy forward.

Leonard has been working on his jump shot since the season ended and was stroking it from NBA 3-point range the two days I was in the gym. And he demonstrated excellent ball-handling skills for a player his size -- both are prerequisites for an NBA small forward. He also has the ability to guard the 2, 3 and 4 at the next level.

Leonard proved to be a real gym rat as well. He was the first guy in the gym and the last one to leave both days I was there. On Tuesday I arrived at 9 a.m. and left at 5:30 -- Leonard was there the whole time working on various things; he must have shot 1,000 jumpers.

I've been trying to find a good NBA comp for him all year, and I think the best may be the Blazers' Gerald Wallace. Leonard has the same type of motor and toughness and is more skilled than you think. If he keeps shooting the ball like he did Tuesday and Wednesday, I believe he could end up being a top-5 pick in the draft. We've moved him up to No. 5 on our Big Board after seeing what he brings to the table.

He may not be a superstar at the next level, but it's hard to figure how he misses as a 10-year NBA player with that work ethic, physical profile and motor.

Apr 14 Update: Leonard has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft. Leonard is one of the most unique players in the country. He can play both the three and the four thanks to long arms, excellent athleticism and a great motor. He's a terrific rebounder as well. He doesn't have a polished offensive game yet, but there's a lot of potential there. He could be a Shawn Marion-type player. A likely lottery pick.

Mar 15 Update: The Good: A long, athletic forward with huge hands, a great motor and the ability to score from just about everywhere. He's a great rebounder too.

The Bad: Another player without a well-defined position. Ideally he'd be a few inches taller. He's not a great shooter yet. Can disappear sometimes in big games.

The Upside: Last year we had Leonard listed as a sleeper. Now that he plays on the No. 6 team in the country, that sort of talk has died down. But now the expectations may be almost too high for him. He's still developing his game offensively, but when you watch him, it's hard not to see what makes him special. NBA scouts love guys with intangibles, and Leonard appears to have them.

Jan 27 Update: San Diego State's Kawhi Leonard had a terrific game in the first loss to BYU, scoring 22 points and grabbing 15 boards despite the fact that he was battling the stomach flu and throwing up just 90 minutes before the game. More and more scouts are referring to him as a lottery pick, perhaps a top-10 pick by draft night.

Jan 18 Update: Last season, Leonard was one of the better kept secrets in college basketball. When we first wrote about him in early March, only a handful of GMs had given him a careful look. That's changed this season. Every team in the league has been out to scout Leonard multiple times, and that San Diego State is ranked No. 6 and remains one of the few unbeaten teams in the country doesn't hurt.

Despite such high expectations, Leonard has delivered. He's averaging 16 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game and has really wowed teams with his energy, athleticism and versatility. Scouts have regularly compared him to a young Shawn Marion.

Like Marion, Leonard is a bit of a hybrid forward. He is a big-time athlete and has a huge wingspan and freakishly big hands. He has an emerging offensive game and jump shot and can defend multiple positions on the floor. Last year, scouts were calling him a tweener. This year, they're calling him versatile.

"He's really improved," one veteran scout said. "Last year, he was getting by almost exclusively on his length and athleticism. This year, you can tell he's really starting to get it at both ends of the floor. He's still a work in progress, but when you play with that intensity and have those physical tools, you're likely going to succeed in our league."

We've moved Leonard into the teens on our Big Board for the first time, and it's not out of the question that he ends up as a late lottery pick if he continues to help San Diego State win.

Jan 4 Update: Who is the most underrated on our draft board? Again, there wasn't a ton of consensus here. San Diego State small forward Kawhi Leonard got the most votes, followed by Kansas power forwards Thomas Robinson and Markieff Morris, plus center Lucas Nogueira of Brazil.

Leonard doesn't fit the traditional mold, but he's been super-productive on one of the few undefeated teams left in college basketball. Every scout who has watched him this season has walked away impressed. A number of them claim he could be a lottery pick.

Nov 2 Update: Leonard was the Mountain West Rookie of the Year and the MVP of the MWC tournament last season. He is another athletic freak with long arms, endless energy and a knack for crashing the boards. Like Kenneth Faried's, his game is relentless.

He, too, is a bit undersized for his position and has yet to show much of a skilled offensive game. He's still relying on pure athleticism and motor. Scouts have some worries about what position he'll play in the pros, but overall they think he'll find a way to contribute.

Another big season for Leonard, especially on the offensive end, could push him up 10 spots higher on our draft board.

Mar 16 Update: The Good: Leonard is a beast in the paint. The superathletic, freakishly long forward cleans up down low. He is an elite rebounder and has huge hands. He's got a motor that runs nonstop and he's tough to slow down. He also is fairly impressive facing the basket.

The Bad: He's a bit of a tweener. He's undersized to be a 4 and lacks the lateral quickness to guard 3s.

The Upside: Expect the tournament to be Leonard's coming-out party. If NBA GMs weren't paying attention before, they will be. His combination of physical tools and hustle make him an unusual prospect. Not only is he a potential first-round pick this year, he could be a lottery pick with another year of seasoning.

Mar 15 Update: Leonard is a beast in the paint. The superathletic, freakishly long forward cleans up down low. He is an elite rebounder and has huge hands. He's got a motor that runs nonstop and he's tough to slow down. He also is fairly impressive facing the basket.

He's a bit of a tweener. He's undersized to be a 4 and lacks the lateral quickness to guard 3s.

Expect the tournament to be Leonard's coming-out party. If NBA GMs weren't paying attention before, they will be. His combination of physical tools and hustle make him an unusual prospect. Not only is he a potential first-round pick this year, he could be a lottery pick with another year of seasoning.

I see a Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace comparison springing up an awful lot. I love the motor, intensity, strength, length, and athleticism he brings to the table. He's a low risk type because, at the very least, he's a top notch energy guy who you can throw on perimeter guys or have him guard the 4. If he refines his offensive skills and develops a jump shot then he's a quality starter. My one concern is that his lateral quickness is listed as a negative. You'd want a player like Leonard to be able to matchup and lock down opposing 3s no matter who they throw out there.

What about doubling down on the SF position and getting Leonard at 6 and Singleton at 18? It'd give us a lot of muscle to throw out after opposing perimeter stars. It lets you defend the Heat. John Wall will eventually be able defend Derrick Rose. We'd have answers to some of the best teams in the conference.

This could be a pretty good plan:

- Trade 6 and 18 and Blatche to the Jazz for 3 and 12. Take Kanter and BPA at those picks (Singleton?). The Jazz still get the players they want at 6 and 18 anyway: Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker and maybe Jimmer Fredette.

Then again, we might be able to get Kanter and Singleton at 6 and 18 depending on which mocks you read.

I like this trade scenerio. I'm not sure we can count on Kanter sliding to 6. I think Toronto would swipe him up.

When I look at the holes, I see a need for a perimeter defender and lights out shooters. John Wall's at his best when he's penetrating. I'd love to see him kicking it out to Rashard Lewis and someone like Klay Thompson, maybe not a starter, but fills a role. I think Leonard would be perfect for the Wiz. Lock down defender, tough rebounder. Can run the court and will eventually get a jumper. If we could get some combination of Leonard/Thompson and/or singleton, I'd be happy.

Wall, Crawford

Klay Thompson/Crawford/FA

Rashard Lewis/Khawi Leonard

Seraphim/Booker/Blatche?

McGee/Seraphim

I'm a Vesely guy.

my opinion isn't set in stone, but I don't like what I've read on the guy.

everything i'm reading says he's a great athlete with limited offensive game, poor defensively and a poor rebounder

If i'm taking a chance on a big euro, I at least want one that will be more forceful on defense (i.e. Bismack)