Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Know a lot of you don't watch the Capitals (though you should) but they fired GM George McPhee two years ago and now are in the midst of one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. A new GM can change everything, Ted needs to fire Ernie and let the organization grow under someone who gets it.

A very similar move to Trotz would be for the Wiz to hire Tom Thibodeau. Proven winner that had great defensive teams and kept winning while the star player was always hurt.

It's sad how things fell apart. Wizard fans were so optimistic at the end of last season. Was the loss of Pierce really that big a factor? Was it the injuries? Everything else seems mostly the same.

I think if Beal were healthier (looks like that will never happen), Wiz would have more wins than losses.  They got more our of Nene last year, plus Pierce.

They got more out of nene last year because he started, and he pairs well with gortat. But we couldn't do that more this year because... Reasons. I seem to remember us going big against Utah a while back and destroyed them.

Also, **** randy for playing Thornton 20 min 1 day after being aquired. Meanwhile oubre and Eddie are learning the playbook for no reason at all I guess.

This team does not suck because pierce left. Pierce sucked last year. He was the 5th best starter. The reason we suck is because we played an entire 3.5 quarters of the season with an undersized 4 coming off back surgery and our second best player spent all year on the injury report along with his backup ( and eventually his backup). Of course all of this was predictable.

I mean, one would think that with all the injuries and the aquisition of two way players ( reason we traded up for oubre?) we would see more Otto+oubre. We might see more jarell Eddie also. At worst it would garner invaluable learning experience for the make or break 2017 season. But instead we witnessed 3 guard lineups all year, paired with Dudley, an undersized 4 at best. Yet the coaching staff is scratching their collective heads about how it went so wrong.

Phoenix failed with a far superior 3 guard lineup. Why and how did anyone think ours would work?

I think if Beal were healthier (looks like that will never happen), Wiz would have more wins than losses.  They got more our of Nene last year, plus Pierce.

I have no interest in paying Beal when he can't stay on the court. Sucks because he's a gamer when he's healthy.

I'm not high on Simmons at all. Great college players can carry their team into the tournament. See: Melo winning a title, Wade making a Final Four, Rose making the national title game, etc. LSU isn't even a tournament team.

Ben Simmons has a terrible head coach while Rose and Melo had HOFers on their sidelines.

That's the rage talking.  Step away, do a chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow on yourself, and then come back to us, bro.

It's not rage.  I love John Wall.  I've been 100% sold on him since day one, and I've defended him his whole career.  The reason I asked about trading him wasn't because I've lost faith in him.  It was to see if people would be willing to accept a true rebuild with a new GM.

There is zero chance you can get Wall to stick around for a third contract if you begin a true rebuild this offseason.  As a legit superstar, his trade value is high and trading him is probably our only shot at skipping the "years of sucking and hoping to luck into a top pick in the right draft class" cycle of tanking.

It's not rage.  I love John Wall.  I've been 100% sold on him since day one, and I've defended him his whole career.  The reason I asked about trading him wasn't because I've lost faith in him.  It was to see if people would be willing to accept a true rebuild with a new GM.

There is zero chance you can get Wall to stick around for a third contract if you begin a true rebuild this offseason.  As a legit superstar, his trade value is high and trading him is probably our only shot at skipping the "years of sucking and hoping to luck into a top pick in the right draft class" cycle of tanking.

I hear what you're saying, bro.  A right GM could get what Wall needs fast with the cap space we have.  I'd rather risk Wall leaving then failing on an unknown and assuring NBA purgatory outside the 8th seed for years to come.  I know NFL is different, but I wouldn't trade my star QB in order to go all in on a rebuild if he was still in his 20s.  Those are too hard to come by.

If he says he wants out, we cross that bridge when we get there.  Right now, its mostly body language, and I don't blame him.

Edited by Renegade7

No Beal or Anderson tonight

Not exactly sure why Beal made the trip out West. Might as well shut him down the rest of the way. At least that way we would have a better shot of keeping the draft pick

Abandon hope of keeping that draft pick. It's gone. You'll feel better about the way our season ends if you pretend like it doesn't exist.

Gortat picks up a quick third foul. He's a wreck right now.

We're playing like total ****. Only reason we're in it is Denver keeps turning it over like crazy.

Denver has 15 TOs midway through the second quarter.

Wall had a mismatch early in the clock on Kenneth Faried and he just passed it away.