Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

*Wall Highlight Video*

check the 1:39 mark, I never noticed that Wall dropped Amir Johnson on his ass before dishing to Gorat for the easy basket.

An amazing front page from the sports section last night!

*Front Page Picture*

Gotta save that picture for posterity

Edited by StillUnknown

What an exciting game and unbelievable win. Those runs and back and forths in the second half / fourth quarter were really exciting basketball. Beal was a ****ing hero and Wall goes all franchise playoff record setting performance on us. (Hey David Falk – what was that about John Wall again? Randy, we all tried to tell you about Otto. I’m so proud of these guys. Way to work together and get a team win. A total team win.

I'm extremely happy with the results, definitely don't mind eating crow on the fact I thought we'd lose in 6. The 4th quarter bench scared the **** outta me. 

The short rotation however is working well, which is kind of an indictment on our lack of depth, cause Randy really is an intelligible coach and his issue is he didn't have the talent he wanted then Randy did him a disservice. I still think Randy is a mediocre to bad coach (because of RS returns) but he's been gifted two pretty situations. Casey is a moron of horrific magnitude. I feel bad for Raps fans cause they don't have cornerstone young players like we do to fall back on. Randy's defense has been masterful for 6 quarters. 

Still don't get why Hump has been buried, his energy and defense would help the 2nd unit, but hey w/e works for now (ATL is a different league then TOR). 

Draft a stretch 4 and sign a combo guard and we may have the depth we need to be a 50 win team next season. 

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/22/8467603/bradley-beal-kyle-lowry-scream-dont-****-with-me-nba-playoffs-raptors-wizards

Looks can be deceiving. Sure, it appears that Bradley Beal yelled "Don't f*** with me, Kyle!" last night, but it could have been a lot more innocent than that.

"Come dance with me, Kyle!"
"Get pho with me Kyle!"
"Buy pants with me, Kyle!"
"Feed ducks with me, Kyle!"
"Starbucks, Kyle?!"

I say again, Angry Beal = Best Beal

• Like 3

I don't know about Witman being a genuis

but it's entirely possible he's running a team that knows when and how to turn it on and off. They look incredible right now. I hope they keep it going... they're fun to watch.

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/porters-push-means-wizards-future-playing-big-minutes-now

Porter's push means Wizards' future playing big minutes now

At one point during the current season, the Wizards were the NBA's oldest team. They lost that distinction by dealing away 38-year-old Andre Miller at the trading deadline, but the graybeard essence remained. Paul Pierce is 37. Interior threats Nene and Marcin Gortat have been around the block. Drew Gooden, Kris Humphries and Rasual Butler are indeed veterans.

Coach Randy Wittman wanted that experience to help his young players learn the ropes. To help the team take the next steps up the title contending ladder.

Something worked seeing as the Wizards up 2-0 against the Raptors before playing a home game. The three who played the most minutes in Washington's 117-106 Game 2 road win were not the adults, but 24, 21 and 21 years old respectively.

Everyone knows about John Wall and Bradley Beal, Washington's top two scorers and primary building blocks for the future.

The third member, Otto Porter, has officially joined the big picture party.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Toronto has some heart.  They came out swinging in the first and then got it close again in the fourth so they aren't rolling over and dying.  I'm curious to see what game three will be like.  You would think they're this close to quitting, especially with Lowry injured.  But I don't really expect them to.  They are lost right now but they are going to play hard.

I bet the crowd is going to be amazing and help us keep up the intensity against a desperate opponent.  My call right now is we win a close one.

That vice sports article is hilarious.  But I think it highlights a problem in the thinking of outsider fans and media who've embraced the truisms of the analytics crowd without really understanding the context and uses of stats.

For instance, "the long two is the worst shot in basketball" is like the first law of stat nerds and it is now taken as an absolute truth rather than the general statement it actually is.  The mid range area is always the worst place to score from becomes the lazy conclusion.  It's not true.  There are all kinds of defenses and situations where a mid range jumper is the best shot.  Everything has to be contextualized in a basketball game and a general truth I've observed is the stat nerds and the observers who parrot them usually make no attempt to understand or account for context.

Another general truth: it has always been the case that the best volume perimeter scorers are almost always unusually good mid range scorers.  Unless you're unstoppably huge and athletic that you can reliably feast inside, or are a first rate bull **** artist, you pretty much have to excel at scoring from mid range to score in volume every game.  Jordan, TMac, Dirk, KG, Pierce, Nash, Manu, Kobe, Melo, Durant, CP3, Aldridge, Curry, Parker, Lillard, Irving, even Westbrook--all great scorers from mid range.  Wade in his prime was a good mid range scorer.  Young LeBron used to get about half his attempts from mid range before he got a post game and became less of a volume scorer.

These guys are aggressive scorers and their job for their team is to lead the offense and constantly work for their shot.  That means they have to do a lot of scoring in the intermediate areas to succeed.

• Like 1

I'm still mindblown at what Wittman's done so far...

I mean, he was fantastic last year in the playoffs, so maybe he does know what he's doing....maybe.  LOL

I still can't cross that bridge.

He was fantastic against Chicago, but they just don't matchup well with us. He got outcoached by Indy in what was a winnable series.

So far, he's been fortunate in his opening round assignments. 

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Save some ugly games I felt that they played well. They were really close to forcing the series to go 7 games. Inexperienced showed which I think won't be as much of a problem this year.

^This. I just think Indy was determined to play Miami again and we couldn't match them on their intensity last year. But who cares?

That series is hazy in my memory because I was in Italy and had to watch the games at like three in the morning over streaming sites after long nights of drinking delicious Italian wine and beer.

What I remember is that Wittman had no answers for when our team started breaking down and Indy woke up and remembered they were the one seed.

But the core issue was we got worn out.  Wall in particular.  It was a grueling series against Chicago, easy to forget that since we won in 5 games.  All of them were close and extremely physical.  Feels like that kind of fatigue and wear always happens to young players.  Hopefully the added experience this year helps us survive the grind a bit better and make a deeper run.

We outworked the Bulls and didn't have the energy left to beat a good team who weren't worn down.    Wittman wasn't bad, like this series so far, but he wasn't good.  We didn't win because of his coaching.  Like this series, so far, we didn't lose because of Wittman's coaching is how it looks to me.

Nobody can play through to win it all having to put in the physical effort every game that we do.  Can't believe some of the positive words being said about Wittman.  He hasn't done anything positive not mentioned multiple times months ago in this very thread.  He gets out of the way and some people start talking crazy.........

IIRC the Indiana series, we dominated Games 1 and 5. We got dominated Games 3 and 6. Game 2 was close all the way, I believe we had a slim lead in the 2nd half but not by much, and Indiana eventually won it late. Game 4 we had a big lead(17 I think?)in the 2nd half before Paul George went off.

That series should have gone 7, but Indiana was just a tad bit better when it mattered the most.

The question is, assuming we beat Toronto, how much better is Atlanta than last years Indiana team? And are we better than last year? We shall see I suppose. But first things first this series isn't over yet.

Toronto isn't done yet. If they win Friday this is a 2-1 series and no one anywhere thinks it's over. A 3-0 or 3-1 lead requires them to be perfect, and that's something, but right now we are up in the series and nothing more. We didn't win a single home game against the pacers, iirc.

• Like 2

Important, Friday's game is huge. We need to beat them to set a tone for the rest of the playoffs. I don't think this series should go more than five games after what I've seen in games 1 and 2.

But this is the Wizards we're talking about. They could come out and crap the bed. But I don't see it. I think they're dialed in.