Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Can we take a break on the "Fire Wittman" pitch fork parade at least until after the playoffs? But..but..but this and but..but..but that. I agree we need a coaching staff that better understands 21st Century NBA offenses in order to get over the top. Whoever that is, they better give a damn about defense the way Wittman does.

I respect the cautious optimism until at least the second round (especially given our goal this season was no less then the ECF). It just makes it hard to enjoy this thread sometimes when there's the very real threat of us sweeping a Division Winner and we still have our minds made up to fire him anyway.

Edited by Renegade7

Angry Beal > 

He's got something going on w/ Lowry, and I love it...case in point (NSFW vine):

https://vine.co/v/eawgtMmATvZ

Yeah he does have something going on with Lowry.  I don't know if it's real or if it's something imaginary Beal is using for motivation in a Jordanian way.  But I love seeing him full of piss and vinegar.  It's like an epiphany.  Whatever he's doing to get himself into this blood frenzy is working and he needs to keep doing it.

That foul in game one where Lowry took out Beal's legs on the jump shot is my guess as to the cause.  When they got the double technicals in game two, Beal started that exchange by giving him a hard shove as they went down the court.

If we beat Toronto, I hope Jeff Teague cheap shots him in game one of the second round.

That's very close to the kind of game we envisioned from him when we drafted him.  Top notch glue play.  Great defense.  Nine boards.  And 15 points on eight shots, and it would have been even more if he hadn't struggled from the FT line.

Next step for him is to get that FT % up to about 80 and get close to 40% on those threes where he catches the ball with his feet set.  Improve those %s and he will be an excellent player.

• Like 1

If it didn't start with the leg sweep, that certainly didn't help things. No one talked about it, but I can promise you that kind of foul really makes people mad. It's an unwritten rule in bball that you don't target the legs of players up in the air, even when intentionally trying to hard foul.

• Like 4

I'm watching highlight videos of him on youtube and all I'm seeing are fast break dunks.  I haven't seen him play a single game outside vague memories of that one summer league.  Him being good now is just the buzz I've heard.

Seeing these Euros get drafted in the late first and then spend a bunch of time in Europe before they come over, that's the way it should have happened for Vesely.  He should never have been the 6th overall pick in hindsight.  Should have been a late first draft and stash that filled out and learned to shoot before coming to the NBA.

• Like 1

Is Satoransky better than any of our current guards? That would be my question.

Also, I looked him up. Is he really 6'7? How's his defense? We could use an big guard if he can play defense. It's probably bad.

Yeah, he is.

Well really it's not so much that he's better per se. He just provides a different look.

6-7 guards that can play the point don't grow on trees.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Apparently Tomas Satoransky is pretty good now.  That would be great if we could bring him over and have him give us a boost next season like Brooklyn got from Bojan Bogdanovic and Chicago got from Mirotic.  We need good back up guards.

Yeah, he's been tearing it up over in Europe.  If we can get him to come over, that would be a MAJOR boost to the roster, and the team can focus it's draft needs on a stretch 4...or just Nene's successor in general. 

Is Satoransky better than any of our current guards? That would be my question.

Also, I looked him up. Is he really 6'7? How's his defense? We could use an big guard if he can play defense. It's probably bad.

He plays for FC Barcelona I believe and has pretty decent international competition. I believe he was their primary backup guard and got about 20 mins a game. He had a PER of 20 and really high TS of 66%. His raw production was 8-3-3-1. What is a good sign is he's made incremental improvements in 3pt shooting for the past 3 seasons and on a minutes basis still playing good ball with higher efficiency compared to last season, even though he is, I THINK, in a backup role now...could be wrong about that, but not sure why he plays only 19.9 minutes. 

I have no clue about his defense, but he is athletic and hustles, if nothing else I believe he could become an adequate defender. If small PGs bother him we can probably have him switch out to the 2 if need be. 

The only thing is I don't know if we can buyout his contract anytime soon. My guess is the soonest we can get him is in the '16-'17 season, although I'd prefer sooner because if we could lock him into an MLE contract before the cap spike it'd probably be a bargain. 

This is where I found his international stats:

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Tomas-Satoransky/Summary/24374

This is about a year old 

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wake-call-wizards-will-hold-firm-tomas-satoransky

Wake-up call: Wizards will hold firm on Tomas Satoransky

The Wizards seem content to take their chances and live with the result. They're counting on what they know about Satoransky, who has dreamed of playing in the NBA since he was 15. And now he can work his way into the Wizards' lineup firmly behind John Wall as the No. 2 point guard on a playoff team. 

Andre Miller, who has a team option for 2014-15, occupies that spot now and is on his way out at 38 years old. What team has a better backcourt situation than this for the 6-7 Czech to learn the ropes and succeed? 

This is why the Wizards aren't in a panic. They've vested the time with Satoransky and believe they have his pulse better than anyone despite his bold public statements that sound contrived. Whenever he plays in the NBA, they're determined it'll be in a Wizards uniform because trading Satoransky's rights to move up from the No. 46 pick in Thursday's draft, for example, isn't a serious option barring an 11th-hour change of heart.

The ball is in his court. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH