Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What if Randy has fooled us all. What if he is unpossibly brilliant!?

How do you box a fighter who keeps firing crisp jabs into his own nose? Reach even further, and there is a case to be made that the Wizards offense is perfectly suited to NBA playoff basketball precisely because they are more practiced than anyone at taking the kinds of last-resort shots that offenses are likely to be stuck with against playoff-intensity defense, if only because Wittman has been drawing up plays aimed at generating those very shots all year long. Gearing up to take those shots away at the expense of literally anything else would be foolish, ergo the Wizards are the lone team in the playoffs who can and will get what they want. This is insane.

Insane, but also terrifyingly plausible. The goddamn Wizards might be the only team in the entire postseason that won't have to adjust their offense one bit to deal with the strictures and stresses of the playoffs.

Wittman has built a team that is the basketball equivalent of a weirdo who wears a fully inflated life jacket every day, day and night, who suddenly wakes up in a flooded town. The life jacket was an entirely useless obstruction to the normal processes of everyday life, and then the environment changed and look who's floating!

I'm not buying that Wittman is a great playoff coach.  I remember the Pacers series.  But this paragraph is magnificent:

This is what the Wizards take with them into the postseason, and part of what helped them become the only team to win on the road so far in these very young playoffs. Wittman has built a team that is the basketball equivalent of a weirdo who wears a fully inflated life jacket every day, day and night, who suddenly wakes up in a flooded town. The life jacket was an entirely useless obstruction to the normal processes of everyday life, and then the environment changed and look who's floating!

• Like 2

Well, I'm COMPLETELY shocked that we're up 2-0.  A lot of bball yet to be played, but I never saw this coming. 

Also, what's up with Wittman actually looking competent?  Maybe it's the bigger stage, but the team as a whole has really stepped it up. 

Beal being aggressive, Porter looking like an actual NBA player, Pierce dominating at the 4, Wall/Gortat running PnR, etc. etc....

I also loved Beal's quote about the team's mentality going back home.  They're going to approach the next couple games as if they're down 0-2. 

I hope they step on the Raptor's throats.  This is where a vet, like Pierce, who's seen it all, really earns his $$$.  LETS GOOOO!

What if Randy has fooled us all. What if he is unpossibly brilliant!?

Wittman has built a team that is the basketball equivalent of a weirdo who wears a fully inflated life jacket every day, day and night, who suddenly wakes up in a flooded town. The life jacket was an entirely useless obstruction to the normal processes of everyday life, and then the environment changed and look who's floating!

Oh my goodness!  LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO  That is ****ing FANTASTIC! 

This is why I said there weren't 5 players in the league I'd trade Beal for. I know a star is in there and its finally starting to shine. Keep playing like that Bradley.

You don't believe this. 

Pierce was such a huge get. He's brought out the killer in Beal.

This is fun.

I thought I read that Pierce lit a fire under Otto Porter and built up his confidence too.  And confidence seemed to be the biggest ingredient missing from Porter's game.  I like that he's getting significant playoff minutes and isn't wilting.  That's got to help in his future.