Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Great @WashWizards win over @Celtics in double OT. #WizCeltics #dcRising

At 14-6, the Wizards have their best 20-game start since 1974. Their only better 20-game start was in 1968 when they went 15-5.

Mystics point guard Ivory Latta:

In my house screaming Wall-Starrrr @JohnWall @WashWizards #MrIGetBuckets

In the postgame on-court interview, Pierce dropped the Wall is “a potential MVP” line. #Wizards

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

good lord, 14-6?? we've never been this good at all in my lifetime!! man, now if only the skins can succeed like that, then i'd be a happy man

Cooleyfan...no joke, everytime I see your face, I think I'm looking at Mike Miller.  LOLOL. 

Man, what a win last night.  Disappointed at the fact we gave up a 23 point lead, but in years past, that's a game the Wizards would have lost. 

Wall, last night, did what a (super)star player should.  That's put the damn team on his back.  Never been more proud of him than I was last night.  As a Wizards fan, I couldn't ask for a better leader for this team. 

I'm still seething about that charge they called on Wall at the end of regulation. The fact that we ended up winning the game hasn't done much to alleviate my rage. What a ****ing bull$*** call, it wasn't even close.

His feet were shuffling on over the place. Ridiculous call.

I said **** it and went to bed with us 7 points down in the first OT. Imagine my surprise when I woke up and read the sports page today. Suck it Boston!

Were you screaming “Put the starters back in Wittman you idiot” during the 4th quarter? Yeah, me too.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/12/8/7355039/john-wall-best-defender-point-guard-nba-league-washington-wizards

Last year, you may remember ESPN unveiled new Real Plus/Minus stats (RPM), which aim to show the impact a player has on both ends of the floor. In a nutshell, it calculates how many points per 100 possessions a player impacts for their team. You can read more about it here.

ESPN released their Real Plus/Minus numbers for the first time this season (HT: Umair Khan), and John Wall is at the top of the leaderboard for point guards when it comes to the defensive end of the floor. Wall's defensive RPM is 2.83, which is saying that Wall helps shave 2.83 points per 100 possessions off the other team's score because of his contributions on the floor. He's a full half of a point higher than the next best point guard on the list, Elfrid Payton, whose defensive RPM is 2.24.

Yeah...Rondo was a non-factor.  However, I did notice him being SO supportive of the guys on the floor, even when he was on the bench. 

To be fair, Boston's entire starting lineup (minus Jeff Green) was a non factor. The Celtics starting 5 were all negative, the entire (playing) bench was positive. Meanwhile, our starters were positive (Beal was 0), and our bench was a negative (except Butler).

Brad Stevens coached circles around Wittman. Our end of game inbounds are still dreadful. Randy's use of TOs is HORRENDOUS. 23 point lead to 8 with only 1 TO? The **** outta here. Officiating was questionable. Kelly Dazed and Confused loves to grab and set moving screens and slide under shooters and never got called for it. Zeller has never heard of over the back. But the and 1 at the end for Wall? Smart and Turner made no contact with Wall. One phantom call went our way all night, and it was the most important one.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 1

Honestly, when looking at the entire picture (offense/defense), it's not out of the realm of possibility for Wall to be in the discussion as THIS SEASON'S best PG.

I'd still go CP3 or Steph Curry first and second in some order. Their individual production and offensive efficiency has been MVP caliber. Probably CP3 first all things considered, because he scores and defends well enough but passes better than Wall.

I also think Kyle Lowry is having a slightly better season than Wall, but that comes with the caveat that he plays a lesser role than Wall, is not nearly the passer or defender Wall is, and has a slightly better supporting cast. Beal ain't DeRozan yet. Wall doesn't have the luxury of lowering his usage rate to increase his efficiency, shooting from just two parts of the floor, and passing to AS caliber offensive creators. And he doesn't have the luxury of not playing defense.

But I take Wall over any other PG because like you said, he's arguably the most well rounded PG. His holistic impact + his overall upside is huge. Wall's defense hasn't just been the best amongst PGs this year, it's been the best among all guards. Combine that with the fact he's tied with Lawson for most assists and he plays big minutes with high usage and you have a very balanced player.

The only things I would like to see Wall do are make more threes and free throws. I want him to get his FT % up above 80 and I think he is due for a stretch of good three point shooting. Especially if our other three ball weapons get healthy and consistent and get Wall open looks.

Wall is the LeBron of the PG position. He's basically the only star PG in the league that's a legit impact defensive player that significantly helps the team defense. Almost all of the good PGs are just a guy on defense. Or worse, guys you have to hide.

Actually looking at ESPN's RPM stat, CP3 is having a **** year on the defensive side. Curry has been better. Curry and Rondo are the only other star PGs having a very respectable year on defense. Lillard looks like he's a little better than neutral.

Curry is arguably the first half MVP. Standing out at the top heaviest position in the NBA. Leading the league's best team so far.

I'd like to see Curry win it. But something tells me that if the year finishes the way it began, CP3 will get it. Voters will feel like he's due and LeBron and KD haven't taken control of the discussion.

Also cool about that RPM stat, check out where Pierce and Nene rank and you'll see why we've had the 4th best defense in the league so far.

Pierce is right behind Ariza in DRPM. Offensively, he hasn't been as good and efficient as Ariza, but he also actually dribbles and scores off the bounce. When you factor in the leadership and the cost along with the production, Pierce has been the better value for us IMO. We've actually improved as a defense post-Ariza, and Pierce has been a big part of that. That's something I don't think any of us saw coming. Not to mention we've taken a major leap as a team in the W/L column. That I did see coming. We all loved the Pierce signing at the time. And most of us didn't want to extend Ariza despite the fact we all accepted he was good and important. I think our opinions have been justified so far. The risk we took is paying off, and it has a chance to REALLY pay off in 2016.

• Like 1