Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Paul George will be in dunk contests from now until he retires...any extra cash on the side is good for him since he's gonna be paying CS for the next 18 years due to knocking up that up that bird from Tootsie's LOL.  What an idiot. 

And if any of yall read the Incognito/Martin tweets (mentioned Tootsie's), there's a good chance George PAID for this girl's services. 

Anyways...enough w/ the salon talk...

TOUGH loss last night.  Great effort, but just a tough one to lose.  We need our bigs to play much better.  I was sick and tired of seeing Nene stink up the joint and Gortat getting stuffed at the rim on bunnies.  If we get a better effort out of those two, we walk away w/ a win.  Welp, on to the next one. 

*edit*

Our home crowd is TERRIBLE.  This is a basketball city (I think) and the current squad deserves better.  I mean ****, look at the vibe out in Oracle!  We need that here in DC.  I guess if we can get to the playoffs, WIN an entertaining series, there might be some change.  Until then...I assume we just have to deal with a  60/40 divide of away fans coming into VC. 

Edited by RonArtest15

This may be crazy, but I think this upcoming game against the Cavs is really important. The Wizards have just played good basketball against a really tough schedule. They are 24-24. They are locked into a playoff spot and are in great shape for avoiding the Heat and Pacers in the round one. Hell, they are in great shape for the 4 seed right now.

The Cavs are in freefall. Irving was benched. They just lost by 11 to a Lakers team with four eligible players. They have lost six straight by these scores:

119-108

124-107

106-92

117-86

100-89

99-90

The Wizards need to blow their doors off. Dominate a bad team on a Friday night at home. This is precisely the kind of game the Wizards we are used to always lost - the game where they were supposed to send a message and that message ended up being "Yea, we really aren't that good....."

This may be crazy, but I think this upcoming game against the Cavs is really important. 

Agreed!  If this team is truly on the rise and wants to consistently be north of .500 - this is the type of game you HAVE to win.  Take Cleve's heart out early....

And good grief, how much of a machine are the Spurs?!?!  Just keep doing their thing.

Our home crowd is TERRIBLE.  This is a basketball city (I think) and the current squad deserves better.  I mean ****, look at the vibe out in Oracle!  We need that here in DC.  I guess if we can get to the playoffs, WIN an entertaining series, there might be some change.  Until then...I assume we just have to deal with a  60/40 divide of away fans coming into VC. 

I disagree.  They are knowledgeable and get excited at the right moments.  The 2008 playoff games got plenty intense.  

I prefer the more relaxed atmosphere at Wizards games rather than the overly caffeinated scream fests at Capitals games.  The "Rock the Red" movement with its horns and decibel meters may appeal to 10-year olds, but it makes for jarring in-game experience.  

Plus it's not fair to compare any NBA or NFL crowd to ones in Oakland.  There's something in the water at Raiders and Warriors games.  

Last thing I want is a relaxed atmosphere...I'm sure the players would love if there was an environment like what the Warriors have.  Who wants to play home games where A) it's quiet/relaxed, or B) you have more visiting fans than local? 

*FWIW - I think the whole "Rock the Red"/Unleash the Fury mottos are beyond lame...but when things are going good, they do add to the nuthouse that the VC can become during Caps games.  Not saying this year, or last...but there was a while when VC was an EXTREMELY difficult place for opposing teams to play in.  Part of that was due to the noise and atmosphere. 

Edited by RonArtest15

The only thing that's a little embarrassing is proportion of visiting fans in the arena.  It's annoying whenever we play one of the big, famous teams.  But we're at about 30 years of mostly uninterrupted irrelevance now.  It's to be expected.  The city has been NBA dormant, but it loves basketball.  If this group keeps improving and becoming more relevant, the city will embrace them.  

Sports are big in this area.  And even though it's full of transients, the Nats, Redskins, and Caps all do very well.  And the Caps haven't won a championship, the Redskins have sucked for all but three of the past 20 years, and the Nats just got good a minute ago.  Give it a year or two and people will start showing up and the atmosphere will be really fun.

In fact it will probably be annoying to the grizzled fans like us who loved the team when it was awful to see so many new faces on the bandwagon.

Great try by the Wiz. Didn't expect to beat the Spurs. We toughed out a 3-3 record against some if the best teams in the league and a west coast trip. We have some winnable games coming up.

Yeah 4-3 against that stretch of games against the Western Conference is better than my most optimistic expectations.  Honestly, I expected to be at least three or four games below .500 right now.  I thought 0-5 in our last 5 was a serious danger, and that we'd be doing really well if we went 2-3.  We went 3-2 and were agonizingly close to going 4-1 or 5-0.

We're 8-5 since we seemed to right the ship in that Mid January stretch that started with games against Chicago and Miami.  And we could be even better because we had no business losing to Boston and Utah like we did.  We had San Antonio on the ropes but couldn't finish them, and we went toe to toe with the Clippers in LA despite the massive FT disparity.  

If this stretch is who we are when we're healthy, then we're so close to being a legitimately good team.  Couple bench pieces here and there and continued growth from Wall/Beal and this group can win 50 games next season.  I think they could have done it this year if Beal and Nene had stayed healthy like they have been the past several weeks.

Best crowd I've ever been involved was Game 5 against the Cardinals a couple years ago. And I've been to some historical DC sporting events. Crowd was just on point. And I think I saw two Cardinals fans in the whole stadium. Drastic difference from the year before where me and No Excuses basically took a nap in the stands in game 2 of a double header. Winning changes everything.

BTW, I am legitimately excited for the dunk contest this year.  Wall, George, Lillard, Ross is one of the best fields they've gotten in a long time.

I'm curious to see George in a dunk contest now that he's a superstar with a lot of name recognition.  Wall is a slick ball handler and breathtaking athlete, I expect him to do well.  Ross won it last year, so he's good.  The unknown to me is Lillard.  I know he's explosive but I haven't seen his dunks.

I have a feeling the AS game is going to springboard Wall's national recognition.  Remember how ridiculous he was in the rookie-sophomore game his first season?  It's the kind of venue that he can thrive in.

I've been to regular season NBA games in four or five arenas. It is never a rowdy event. NBA regular season crowds are a lot like MLB crowds - except it's cold and dark outside. There are a lot of games, there are a lot of games on week nights, and no one is going to get that excited about seeing the Bobcats even if John Wall is playing well. There are probably only three teams with rowdy regular season crowds: Golden State, Portland, and Oklahoma City. Two of those places have the advantage of being the only team in town. Oakland, I think, got a reputation for being a rowdy crowd and is now trying to confirm that every night.

NBA home court advantage is determined by the playoffs. If Washington becomes a consistent playoff team, the crowds will be there.

I have a feeling the AS game is going to springboard Wall's national recognition.  Remember how ridiculous he was in the rookie-sophomore game his first season?  It's the kind of venue that he can thrive in.

He is the perfect player for an All-Star. Crazy athletic point guards who always look to pass first are always going to get a lot of time. The only problem is if he gets too jacked up and decides to throw 22 ill-timed alley oop passes.

He is the perfect player for an All-Star. Crazy athletic point guards who always look to pass first are always going to get a lot of time. The only problem is if he gets too jacked up and decides to throw 22 ill-timed alley oop passes.

I want to see the triple oop that Javale promised us when we drafted Vesely. Wall to LeBron to George. I hope Frank Vogel gives Wall a bunch of playing time with those two.

I wonder how he's going to use his roster actually since the starters are weird. He's got three centers on his bench since the fans gave him three SFs starting. He's got a lot less talent than the West overall, but he's got role players who are good team guys like Millsap and Noah. I could see Noah making the atmosphere much more competitive. Vogel doesn't have nearly as many shooters as the West, though. And you know the West is just going to tee off from three.

But he's got four superlative athletes: George, LeBron, DeRozan, & Wall plus Wade probably has something left in him. So there is potential for a ton of trick dunks.

Below is a trade that works in the checker:

Seraphin & Rice for Farmar & Sacre & Wes Johnson

Although it would suck to lose Rice, I think Farmar can make a huge difference in upping the production of our 2nd unit down the stretch. In addition, Sacre seems to be a less boneheaded version of Seraphin who is on a cheap contract for 2 more years

So are we just going to keep ignoring the amazing screw up that was letting Kendall Marshall go for nothing when we have no back up point guard? We've talked about the bad draft picks and the bad trades...

Let me ask it this way, what would the wizards need to trade LA to get him back. Would either of our back up point guards do it?

Edited by Destino

So are we just going to keep ignoring the amazing screw up that was letting Kendall Marshall go for nothing when we have no back up point guard? We've talked about the bad draft picks and the bad trades...

Let me ask it this way, what would the wizards need to trade LA to get him back. Would either of our back up point guards do it?

Ernie's ego won't allow him trading back for Kendall. Plus if I'm the Lakers, I'm keeping him over Blake and Farmar because he is lucked up for another year at a bargain basement rate

Irvings supposedly not playing tonight because he is sick...hard to get motivated to watch this game tonight...

Ah beat me to it.  We better destroy them (and if that's expected, as it should be, not sure why they'd be hard to watch if you're a fan)

Maybe I'm late to the party, but just came across a new (to me anyway) Wizards website if anyone is interested:

http://wizofawes.com/