Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yea Id much rather give away Otto than Ariza. Ariza is a key contributor this season and he is key to the Wizards making the 2nd round. Otto has not contributed this season and is possibly about to be sent to the D-league where he would not contribute directly at all. So if I had a choice and one was going to be traded I would put Otto out there. But im not the GM. 

As his best case is getting to the 2nd round. Would a Monroe make the difference to getting to the Conference Championship? Probably not. And we should should keep the pieces we have. But with that being said I would be much more upset if the Wizards dealt Webster, Gortat or Ariza over Otto.

Edited by Mocountyskins

Sanders would put a lot of pressure on Wall and Beal to score. He's entirely incapable on offense (bad free throw shooter too) and he doesn't impress with his rebounding numbers. Not sure if this team has the scoring power to play 4 on 5 on offense.

Gortat+Otto for Sanders is the trade I'd explore. Sanders is an elite defensive center, and can rebound damn well too. In fact he might be the 2nd best defensive center in the NBA after hibbert. Getting sanders paired next to Wall would be ideal...we'd lose some offensive firepower as Gortat can hit a jumper, but our defense would be taken to another level. Plus Sanders in only 25 and isn't making max money. Monroe at max money is bad value for essentially Jamison level defense. 

You are massively overrating Sanders.  He isn't even a top five defensive C and he's a garbage offensive player.  His Ortg is in Jan Vesely territory.  Gortat is better than him.  Sanders's contract sucks too.  He's a below average starter that's getting paid 11 million per for the next four years.  I'd absolutely rather shell out the extra three million per year for Monroe because he's actually pretty good.

Also Sanders isn't that young.  This is only his fourth year, but he came out after his JR year and is already 25.  Milwaukee panicked after one season of production, in which he still only played 27 minutes a night, and gave him a contract that is going to be considered terrible before the end.

- Dwight Howard

- Roy Hibbert

- Joakim Noah

- Marc Gasol

- Tim Duncan

- DeAndre Jordan

- Al Jefferson

- Marcin Gortat

- Nikola Pekovic

- DeMarcus Cousins

- Andre Drummond

- Chris Bosh

- Derrick Favors/Enes Kanter

- Brook Lopez

- Jonas Valanciunas

- Andrew Bogut

- Al Horford

- Anderson Varejao

- Nikola Vucevic

- John Henson

That's a list of centers off the top of my head that I'd rather have than Larry Sanders.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I think you trade Ariza if it brings back a good player the team needs that is at least as good as Ariza is right now. Other than that, you have to keep him. Him and Gortat for Monroe would be great as an example... It won't happen but that's an example.

I still do not see what is so special about Monroe other than the fact he's a hometown brethren just like Otto...

We need all the scoring options on this team that we can gather.

Monroe can score though.  That's the number one thing he'd bring to the table.  He's a better scorer than Gortat, somewhat worse defender, and the rebounding is a push.  But Monroe has a little better size, is a good passer, and he's about five years younger.  That's the other big thing.

I'd prefer Monroe to Gortat, but my opinion is that we've absolutely got to sign one of the two.  I wouldn't let Gortat walk just to chase Monroe.

as bad as Ernie is at drafting, it seems he gets the whole "trading" thing. 

If they don't make any moves....then it seems there wasn't an offer that would improve this team right now.

As far as Gortat. It seems his teammates really like him. That's important for a young squad with iffy coaching.

In thiniking about a potential Noah trade, I wonder what the Bulls' priorities are going forward?

*D.Rose?  Who knows the type of player he'll be once he comes back. 

*Boozer?  Amnesty

*Gibson?  Trade rumors...

If they are going full-tank, maybe they would consider moving Noah.  I mean, he's owed a lot of $ over the next 2-3 seasons and the Wizards could sweeten the pot by including two expirings in Gortat/Ariza.  They (Bulls) would have CRAZY cap flexibility going forward...

• Like 1

I could see Chicago looking to deal Taj Gibson because, frankly, he's a little too expensive for how they use him.

But I don't see them looking to deal Noah.  Trading him for Ariza and Gortat helps them shed salary, but not necessarily tank for one thing.  And then with their cap room, they'd probably want to use it on players like Noah anyway.

He's really the identity of that team.  They'd have to trade him over Thibs's dead body.

I'm not sure Chicago is tanking at any rate.  They're still winning and their coach is too good.  The Luol Deng deal was a salary dump so they could get under the luxury tax line--dumping a player they knew they couldn't extend this offseason.  They're not in a similar situation with Noah.

I could see Chicago looking to deal Taj Gibson because, frankly, he's a little too expensive for how they use him.

But I don't see them looking to deal Noah.  Trading him for Ariza and Gortat helps them shed salary, but not necessarily tank for one thing.  And then with their cap room, they'd probably want to use it on players like Noah anyway.

He's really the identity of that team.  They'd have to trade him over Thibs's dead body.

I'm not sure Chicago is tanking at any rate.  They're still winning and their coach is too good.  The Luol Deng deal was a salary dump so they could get under the luxury tax line--dumping a player they knew they couldn't extend this offseason.  They're not in a similar situation with Noah.

Yea...it's probably a pipe dream, but it sure would be nice to have Noah here in DC. 

So, if we do re-sign Ariza, what happens with our logjam at the 3? 

as bad as Ernie is at drafting, it seems he gets the whole "trading" thing. 

Chris Webber traded for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe.

Terry Davis, Tim Legler, Jeff McInnis and Ben Wallace were traded for Ike Austin.  

There was the Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace trades.  Ouch.      

And don't get me started on the stupid one year rentals of Randy Foye and Mike Miller.   

Chris Webber traded for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe.

Terry Davis, Tim Legler, Jeff McInnis and Ben Wallace were traded for Ike Austin.  

There was the Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace trades.  Ouch.      

And don't get me started on the stupid one year rentals of Randy Foye and Mike Miller.   

Ernie was only responsible for one of those.

Actually it was Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland.

It was Chris Webber for Otis Thorpe and Mitch Richmond. 

You can see the downfall of these two trades.  We traded Big/Young for Small/Old

God hates us all.  Although Strick was a hell of a player….still a bad trade though.

Edited by mboyd784

Yea...it's probably a pipe dream, but it sure would be nice to have Noah here in DC. 

So, if we do re-sign Ariza, what happens with our logjam at the 3? 

Status quo?  Otto gains weight and starts playing some 4?  He's tall enough, has a post game, and can rebound the PF position.  But too skinny to defend it right now.

I'd go for the status quo and then look to make a better deal somewhere down the line.  Unless of course someone called offering something good for Ariza in the next two weeks.  But I'm not expecting that.

Man, it's depressing how bad the management got under Unseld and Jordan that Ernie is a marked upgrade over them.

As far as I see it, Ernie won two major trades that ended up having a big impact:

- Devin Harris, Christian Laettner, and Jerry Stackhouse for Jamison

- Kwame for Caron

In that era, knowing to let Larry Hughes walk was another good decision.  As was signing Gilbert Arenas of course.

I honestly think you give him a positive grade for his trades in the Arenas era.  But his drafting was terrible.  And the last major trade of that era was the #5 for Miller/Foye which was terrible.

In the Wall era his trading has been meh, but rarely out and out negative.

- Trading Arenas for Shard was a pretty shocking success.  I didn't think anyone was going to take that deal.  But it didn't have a direct impact on Ws and Ls.

- Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong for that first round pick (Singleton), Jordan Crawford, and Bibby/Mo Evans seemed like a terrific trade at the time.  It's a push now though because none of those pieces made an impact.

- JaVale and NY for Nene somewhat of a win right now IMO.  Nene is probably the best player we could have gotten for JaVale by far.  But we're sweating out his contract like it's a ticking time bomb because of his foot and Achilles issues.

- Shard for Okariza is actually end up being a decent win IMO.  We got a good season out of Okafor and at least one and a half fantastic seasons out of Ariza.  And that #10 pick we all thought we should have gotten was Austin Rivers, who has been terrible.

- Crawford for Barbosa and Jason Collins was a small loss given that Boston flipped Crawford for a late first round pick.  We basically paid money to get rid of him early.

- Okafor and the first rounder for Gortat is too early to call still.  But if Gortat walks for nothing this summer, then it's a loss.  Particularly if Phoenix drafts a good long term player with our pick.  If Gortat stays and gives us several healthy seasons, then the trade is a win IMO.

• Like 1

Ernie's drafting in the Wall era has still been mostly fails, though not nearly as bad as it was during the Arenas era.  Wall and Beal were two home runs but Singleton and Vesely and Seraphin were all busts so far and Booker hasn't been a real difference maker.  Jury is still out on Porter, but so far he hasn't made an impact.

Anyone know off the top of their head if Wall is the first AS Ernie has ever drafted?  I can't remember if Ernie drafted Michael Redd.  And if he did, I can't remember if Redd was an AS for Ernie's team.