Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Nene's stat line is very nice tonight. He's been the difference maker.

When Nene plays well, we usually win. Not really true for any of our other guys. Nene at his best makes an impact in every way. Especially defensively, which I feel is an underrated aspect of his skill set. He can control a ton of space on the court.

I feel like the wizards played kind of an unimpressive game tonight... and still won easily. Kings should be ashamed of themselves.

I thought they played like ****. Which does say a lot about the Kings.

Anyway...

Huh CSN?

John Wall

98th Consecutive Game

13th Straight Game With A Steal

Okie Doke

Even though we won, i still hate the way this team plays. Without Wall, there isnt a single offensive play we run other than the Beal/Nene circle jerk. With Wall in the game, its everyone wait for Wall to get you open. Is there no coach on this team that can teach them some plays? Its ridiculous.

Brutal back to back before the AS break starting Tuesday in Memphis. Second game is in Houston. We're going to have to play far better than we did the last two games and steal one of them. Losing to Cleveland hurts. It could be the difference between heading into the break at .500 vs. two games under.

This was arguably Wall's worst game of the season. Ariza and Webster couldn't hit anything. We won comfortably mostly because Nene, Gortat, and Seraphin all played very well and dominated their bigs.

I don't love the way we've been playing. Our offense just hasn't been moving well, and even tonight we were saved by the three ball. They got to within four in the fourth before we hit three quick threes to pull away. We're still too reliant on it as a substitute for getting good movement to break down defenses. That's not going to beat the good defensive teams. You might see the issue become acute against Memphis.

Im not saying the 76ers have a trade in the works, but they are getting beat 62-21 by the Clippers.

They shot 15% for the entire half. That's ugly. Made a total of 8 shots in the half while the clippers scored 46 in the first quarter.

Can you imagine how it must feel to be a Sixers fan sitting through that game in LA? You know there has to be at least a few in attendance.

Edited by Destino

I'm betting most 76ers fans are tuned out at this point.  They understand the team is tanking and they probably approve it.  That's embarrassing, but if you're a real fan who is paying attention to what's going on, you have to know what you're getting into when you buy tickets.

What if Philly gets the #1 pick?  What do you do with Nerlens Noel in that case?  Trade him I guess.  Both he and Joel Embiid are 100% pure centers.

Saw this on RealGM:

Bf-2niGIIAEFOW8.jpg

You know Wall was there.

I've got to say, I wish Wall was more of a homebody.  Wish he stayed off his feet and just focused on basketball during the season.

Didn't the same thing happen in Atlanta? There were pictures of him at the club and then he had a bad game the next day.

I can't remember.  But I remember that it's happened before.

It's surprising how much it happens in the NBA.  I don't know what it's like to be a young, famous, super athletic multi-millionaire.  But if I were, I think I'd just stay home during the season and worry about my career.

I can't remember.  But I remember that it's happened before.

It's surprising how much it happens in the NBA.  I don't know what it's like to be a young, famous, super athletic multi-millionaire.  But if I were, I think I'd just stay home during the season and worry about my career.

I think that's easy to say until you are the young, famous super athletic multi-millionaire.

I always like to point this out when one of these "stay out of the club" stories happens. Because old white guys who believe in playing the game "the right way" don't really know what to do with it:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/30/a_fistful_of_bird_history/

Larry Bird injured his hand in a bar fight during the '85 ECF and it probably affected his play in the '85 Finals. If that had happened today, Deadspin would have run 49 consecutive stories on it and Skip Bayless would have to be taken to a Psych Ward to recover.

Anyway, I think the guys that get in trouble are the guys that make clubbing a priority over basketball. I got the impression Blatche was that kind of guy in DC. Ricky Davis is probably the all time example of this. If Wall goes out with Cousins every time he is in Sacramento or Cousins is in DC, you live with that and figure that Cousins is just as affected. If Wall goes out in every city, then you have a problem.

I don't really care if guys go out the night before a game, but it can't affect their job performance. I mean if I go clubbing the night before a big presentation and I stink up the joint, I risk termination. Now obviously Wall won't get cut/traded, but he's being paid millions to play at a high level. If partying the night before is affecting his job performance, someone from the team needs to set him straight. Again, not saying you shouldn't party, but if you do then you better play well the next day.

Anyways regarding the game, pretty ugly but a W is a W. I think we'll take one of the two on the upcoming mini road trip, because that's typical Wizards basketball. I'll take .500 going into the break and then position ourselves to make a run for the 3 seed.

I think that's easy to say until you are the young, famous super athletic multi-millionaire.

I always like to point this out when one of these "stay out of the club" stories happens. Because old white guys who believe in playing the game "the right way" don't really know what to do with it:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/30/a_fistful_of_bird_history/

Larry Bird injured his hand in a bar fight during the '85 ECF and it probably affected his play in the '85 Finals. If that had happened today, Deadspin would have run 49 consecutive stories on it and Skip Bayless would have to be taken to a Psych Ward to recover.

Anyway, I think the guys that get in trouble are the guys that make clubbing a priority over basketball. I got the impression Blatche was that kind of guy in DC. Ricky Davis is probably the all time example of this. If Wall goes out with Cousins every time he is in Sacramento or Cousins is in DC, you live with that and figure that Cousins is just as affected. If Wall goes out in every city, then you have a problem.

Yeah I'll take Wall's behavior for my franchise player any day.  I think he's generally pretty clean.  And it's a long season.  Guys do have to carry on their lives and have at least some fun.  I just wish there was a little more of a culture of professionalism in the league.  Then again, I don't want the NBA to become less fun.

But you do hear about players like Durant and Rose being homebodies that generally just take it easy during the season and I think you see the fruits of that in their consistency.  Duncan is another one.  I've read that Kawhi Leonard bought a house and had his mother move in with him when he was drafted.  She handles all his financial stuff, handles his schedule and nutrition, etc. and Leonard just focuses entirely on basketball.  How perfect is that situation?  Especially for San Antonio.  Obviously living with your mom isn't for most.  But if I were a pro athlete trying to make it in the NBA, I'd do it like Leonard.  I'd hire a life coach and nutritionist and assistant that I could trust and have them live with me and hold me accountable and handle the business end of being a suddenly famous multi-millionaire.

I've read that Kawhi Leonard bought a house and had his mother move in with him when he was drafted.  She handles all his financial stuff, handles his schedule and nutrition, etc. and Leonard just focuses entirely on basketball.  How perfect is that situation?  Especially for San Antonio.  Obviously living with your mom isn't for most.  But if I were a pro athlete trying to make it in the NBA, I'd do it like Leonard.  I'd hire a life coach and nutritionist and assistant that I could trust and have them live with me and hold me accountable and handle the business end of being a suddenly famous multi-millionaire.

I'm still angry we passed on him. Grrrr....

Completely and totally OT but what the heck. I'd forgotten how much fun an NBA game can be. I watched the Magic/Thunder game last weekend. Heck of a good game in a way. Sloppy play but incredible ending. I didn't have a dog in the hunt other than pulling for the Thunder because it was my niece's BD and she's a big Thunder/K. Durant fan. Well, that and Durant is a DC guy. Imagine my surprise when they let the Magic hang around and win the game at the end. I'm definitely going to have to see if I can catch our "Withards" when they play the Hawks.

I admit I was wrong on him. Probably my biggest draft miss

Yeah he deserved to go in the top six when I thought he didn't.  But Leonard also got a lot better really quickly in the NBA, and that doesn't happen very often.  He got a three ball and a reliable jumper halfway through his rookie season when he couldn't shoot at all in college.  It's a testament to him being so disciplined and such a hard worked.  And to the Spurs being really good developers of talent.

That's not even my biggest miss that year.  I remember wanting Bismack Biyombo at 6...

Marc SteinVerified account

‏@ESPNSteinLine

One (reasonably) definite move you'll see before trade deadline: Wiz trading for a new backup PG. Beno Udrih said to be high on Wiz list

Still might be hard to get done, we're still paying a few people not on the roster. I didn't realize Temple's numbers were as bad as they are. He plays well defensively, but offensively, its gets bad fast. Temple seems like his best spot is the last guard off the bench, an upgrade wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Edited by StillUnknown