Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I hear your frustration about Porter. It sucks watching him rot on the bench. But we never had a chance to draft Oladipo because he went second, and MCW wasn't on anyone's radar at three, and we didn't need to draft another PG at #3.

If we simply aren't going to play Porter, then we might as well have drafted Nerlens Noel. Or even Alex Len. I thought those guys were just asking for trouble given our history with injuries. But irony of ironies, those two might actually end up playing more minutes than Porter anyway.

Everyone seems to like saying Otto doesnt play because otto sucks. Well, if you dont get any burn, you arent going to play well. Thats the bottom line. Wittman needs to go. But he will get a new contract at the end of the season. Ernie will make a terrible trade for Andre Miller who will provide 1% more offense to the second unit, and 50% less defense than Temple. (Not to mention his 4+million salary next season!) This team is doomed.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

This is the most frustrating sports season in recent memory out of any team, except maybe last year's Nats. The talent is clearly there. We have an All-Star PG, should be(and will be in the future)All-Star SG, two quality SFs, and a front court that MOST teams in the NBA would love to have. Okay the depth ain't great, but how many teams have quality starting 5s AND a deep bench? Maybe like...four?

This all falls on the coaching IMO. Wittman is awful. He doesn't know how to handle rotations. He doesn't know when to call timeouts. He can't draw up plays at all. His career win % is terrible for a reason. Unfortunately there is NO chance he gets fired because we will make the playoffs and no way Ted fires a "playoff" coach. Eddie Jordan was a much better coach than Wittman. If we had someone like Jeff Hornacek or Terry Stotts we'd be at 30+ wins easily right now and sitting comfortably at the #3 seed. Contrary to popular belief, coaching DOES matter. It's why the Bulls are still grinding away despite little talent and the Spurs continue to make it work with a MASH unit.

I hate seeing talent go to waste because the coach can't maximize it.

• Like 1

Was in the hospital all night and missed the game. Sounds like another classic Wiz showing.

Hope you're doing alright. This one was frustrating because of the lackadaisical effort. it's like this team just doesn't have the will to take care of business and go on a win streak and finally forget about that .500 mark. They didn't play hard enough to win this game, especially John. John had his worst game of the year.

Memphis is a good team and we were on the road, but we should have won this one. Mike Conley was out and Wall let a third string rookie totally outplay him. Where's the pride? And you can tell Marc Gasol isn't healthy yet. This game was there for us and we just didn't want it bad enough.

The only legit positive was that Beal was incredible. Career high in points tonight and he didn't need a ton of shots to get to 37. He's not consistent yet, but he has lethal scoring potential from everywhere on the floor. When he matures, I think he's got legit mid 20s per game scoring potential. And considering he's only 20 and Damian Lillard is 23, I think he's going to top out ahead of Lillard as the best perimeter player in their draft class.

We've got to shake up the tree though. In the present, we need to find a way to get over the hump. Warhead is right, this team SHOULD be at 30+ wins already. They've lost too many games they should have won.

True superstars don't have consecutive games like Wall had in his last two. He's not a first tier star capable of carrying a team on his own yet. He doesn't give you a star effort every night.

This team clearly isn't ready. Wall and Beal aren't ready and that's the crux of it. So why are we flirting with the luxury tax right now?

It's going to be painful but we've got to suck it up and find a deal for Ariza. We can't tie our cap up on this group long term, and we're not going to be able to get Ariza back cheap. And Gortat has to sign for less than 10 million per or sign a short term deal. He's not a good enough defender to deserve more.

you change your mind every 2 weeks.

pretty much, no sh*t!.

Ariza and Gortat cannot be around next season. This group is just not good enough to grow into a title contender. This is what many of us have said all season. This coach wont get us there either. WE dont want to be a treadmill team, but knowing Leonsis he just wants extra games and is afraid to make an important decision with these teams.

Wall had his worst game of the entire season last night. He has to be injured or something. HE was a disaster.

This is the most frustrating sports season in recent memory out of any team....

Disagree, this past Skins season was HORRIBLE on so many levels.....

I hear your frustration about Porter. It sucks watching him rot on the bench. But we never had a chance to draft Oladipo because he went second, and MCW wasn't on anyone's radar at three, and we didn't need to draft another PG at #3.

If we simply aren't going to play Porter, then we might as well have drafted Nerlens Noel. Or even Alex Len. I thought those guys were just asking for trouble given our history with injuries. But irony of ironies, those two might actually end up playing more minutes than Porter anyway.

I have a bad feeling Noel is going to be great. There was a big part of me that wanted him over Porter......

Disagree, this past Skins season was HORRIBLE on so many levels.....

The Skins season was worse, but it was obvious after the first couple of games we were gonna be in for an awful season.

The Wizards season is more frustrating because this team CAN be good and has the talent in place to be a legit team, but they just don't play up to their potential consistent enough. That's on the coaching.

Maynor and Temple have no business being on the bench of a playoff team. Other good teams have back-up PGs who can come in and actually play (see MEM, SA). Hell, even BAD teams have good back-up PGs (BOS). Us? We have a hot mess that can play some defense (Temple), and a hot mess that thinks he's Tony Parker and can live on floaters (Maynor). And worst of all, we have a coach who plays an 8 man rotation (and does so atrociously) and can't draw up a play worht a damn in crunch time. Hell, our basic offense is basically the staple HS offense run against a man to man defense (3 man weave with your bigs working from elbow to low box). We occasionally run pick and roll/pop, even though we have 2 bigs that can handle and pass.

No back up quality point guard we can get will succeed in this offense. How many drive and kick backup point guards are even out there that have the speed to blow by the defense off the same high pick n roll the wizards run? Few.

As for Nerlens Noel, this staff wouldn't develop him into anything but a huge bust. They can't turn unskilled players into anything other than scapegoats.

Otto will be a role player once he gets stronger. Until then he can't do much because he's not quick or explosive so he can't compensate for it. He has to get stronger and there is no other plan. Once he does I think he'll be a decent role player, the skills are there.

( I didn't want Otto, I wanted Len, but he's looked bad too so what do I know? We'll see in two years)

Edited by Destino

you change your mind every 2 weeks.

pretty much, no sh*t!.

Ariza and Gortat cannot be around next season. This group is just not good enough to grow into a title contender. This is what many of us have said all season. This coach wont get us there either. WE dont want to be a treadmill team, but knowing Leonsis he just wants extra games and is afraid to make an important decision with these teams.

Wall had his worst game of the entire season last night. He has to be injured or something. HE was a disaster.

I was hoping we could get Ariza back for the full MLE or a little more than that. Like 6 million per year but I'm seeing speculation that he'll get much more. Many have pointed out that this is his last big contract chance. We're not going to be able to extend him. Letting him walk isn't the worst thing since we need the money, but it'd be better to get a player back in return for him.

Gortat I would bring back on the terms I stated because there aren't better centers in FA this summer. Not unless we can sign Monroe. If I can get Gortat for two years, I'll pay 13 or 14 million per year for him. If it's four, then I don't want to do more than ten, and I think he deserves a little less based on the way he's played.

The one thing I don't want to see is the team pay luxury tax this year. I don't want to get into the tax until the team is ready to contend.

• Like 1