Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

James Harden is a flopping prick. Dwight Howard also moved on that screen too.

Those are two of the worst "superstars" the NBA has ever seen. Im rooting against the Rockets this season.

Cant believe we came back in that game, but it was all for naught once again.

Ugh, agreed. I hate the way that team plays. Hate the way Harden plays. And Dwight is such a tool. Patrick Beverly is pretty loathsome too.

I didn't think it could happen, but the Rockets are less likable than the Clippers. I'm rooting against them now too. They're built around flopping and chucking. I want them to fail and I want to see Harden's WWE ball style corrected in rules changes this summer because it'll kill the game if they let it grow.

• Like 1

Ugh, agreed. I hate the way that team plays. Hate the way Harden plays. And Dwight is such a tool. Patrick Beverly is pretty loathsome too.

I didn't think it could happen, but the Rockets are less likable than the Clippers. I'm rooting against them now too. They're built around flopping and chucking. I want them to fail and I want to see Harden's WWE ball style corrected in rules changes this summer because it'll kill the game if they let it grow.

Totally agree. The Rockets are now my NBA's Seattle Seahawks. And talking to their fans on other forums, they're just as insufferable as Seahawks fans.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

It really is unbelievable. In what other sport does that happen? That does not even happen in baseball, and those guys barely move.

The NBA lets bad refs stay in the league for way too long. It hurts the legitimacy of the league, but nobody within the league seems to mind.

It makes no sense. The NBA has to be one of the hardest games to officiate because it's fast, the rules are absurdly complicated and very subjective, and there is a systemic flopping issue. And yet the league has guys reffing that obviously just don't have a chance at doing a good job.

I honestly think NBA fans have just become numb to it and that's why you don't see any push to do something about it. We accept bad and inconsistent reffing as a given, star calls are accepted, playoff reffing is accepted, flopping is largely accepted and has been for a long time too, think charges. And we reinforce the incompetent reffing by ridiculing other fans for complaining about the officiating. The NBA is just less professional than the other major sports leagues. Sometimes it's fun. But sometimes it's amateur and incredibly frustrating. This is one of those times.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Totally agree. The Rockets are now my NBA's Seattle Seahawks. And talking to their fans on other forums, they're just as insufferable as Seahawks fans.

I don't really love the /r/nba sub in general. It's not the worst, but I just don't take away a lot from it. I don't really want to think about the trollish fans you'll find there. That's the thing--you're going to get the worst of a team's fan base from the ones who crow on the internet.

That said, how can someone really love basketball and enjoy watching the way James Harden plays night in and night out? If the Wizards had traded for him, I would have had to lie to myself so much: "this isn't cowardly basketball, that's part of the game, he's a smart competitor, deal with it haters!, winning a bunch of regular season games is totally worth it."

Was thinking the same thing. The Rockets just shot up the board for my hatred of sports franchises.

Rockets, Seahawks, and Braves. That has to be my list for the teams that I have the most hatred for, in the respected sport.

"Rockets, Seahawks, Braves? Go **** ya mothas!"   *Joey Diaz voice*

Edited by STBonecrusher21
  • Like 1

One of the worst calls I've ever seen. At worst it's a no call but it was really offensive foul, but in that situation you can not call that.

Still, we had a chance to make one stop with 4 seconds left and couldn't do it. Ariza and Nene being out screwed us. I knew not taking up all the clock when we had the ball was gonna bite us.

Our halfcourt offense was bad late. We had the ball up 2 and all we could muster was a John Wall mid range jump shot. We score there we basically put the game away, but Wittman can NEVER get a good play call in clutch time. Never never never.

And I effing hate Houston. Harden, Lin, Howard, can't stand any of them. I hope the Spurs curb stop them in the playoffs.

Im not surprised we lost this game, nor am i surprised that we lost in wizards fashion after getting embarrassed for a while. For my heart's sake, i should be happy i didnt see this one. We have to do something at the deadline here. We cant afford 3 SF's. Cant just give up on Otto right now. That would just be asinine. So what is it going to be? Seems to me there are only 3 or possibly 4 options:

1. Trade Webster for something, and resign Ariza at the end of the season.... ( we are going to get nothing back on that deal, and could be a risky deal that involves us hoping he wants to resign here)

2. Trade Ariza for something.... (This is the highest value we are going to get. Ideally Otto would take his spot at some point, but we have no idea at all what he can freaking do. Thanks Randy.)

3. Keep everyone and watch our team suffer mediocrity for years.

4. Trade Otto for nothing and waste an entire year of suck.

This all could have been avoided if Randy had stuck to the freaking plan at the beginning of the season. ( Groom Porter to be Ariza's replacement). Then trade him for a good asset, or let him go and reap some cap relief going into the offseason. Wittman has torpedoed this plan and now we are pretty much screwed no matter how you look at it. Ariza has never looked better. Like really, he is playing out of his mind. Otto sees the court once every month if and only if Ariza/Webster are unable to walk. And we have no 1st to help this team in the offseason. Doooooomed. If he wasnt going to go with this plan, then why didnt we just draft Noel!?

Dont tell me Porter has no value. No rookie comes in and dominates unless they are a phenom. You have to play them for them to learn the ropes.

Was thinking the same thing. The Rockets just shot up the board for my hatred of sports franchises.

Rockets, Seahawks, and Braves. That has to be my list for the teams that I have the most hatred for, in the respected sport.

"Rockets, Seahawks, Braves? Go **** ya mothas!"   *Joey Diaz voice*

Yeah, the Braves are the worst. So unlikable. I'm more ambivalent about the Seahawks. I don't like Richard Sherman's trash talking of course. He's childish and disrespectful. It's so dumb. But I don't really have a problem with the way they play. They aren't the hypocritical, awful sportmanship, butthurt brigade that the Braves are. The Braves threw at our star player and hurt him over some BS. And they don't ****ize and mock their sport the way Houston does. And I like Kam Chancellor and Russel Wilson. Plus Seattle is cool and it's not like Seattle is title town. I hate the Giants far more than I hate the Seahawks. I hate the Cowboys and Eagles more too, although I don't feel that hate with the same conviction any more.

1. Trade Webster for something, and resign Ariza at the end of the season.... ( we are going to get nothing back on that deal, and could be a risky deal that involves us hoping he wants to resign here)

2. Trade Ariza for something.... (This is the highest value we are going to get. Ideally Otto would take his spot at some point, but we have no idea at all what he can freaking do. Thanks Randy.)

You can't do number one. If you trade Webster, presumably you're getting a roughly equal salary back so you're not saving money from it unless it's an unbalanced deal. So you'd still have the same issue trying to extend Ariza in the summer--we can't afford him. At one point, Ariza was a full MLE type guy. Shoot, going into the year, he probably wasn't even that. He would have been crazy to turn down the 7.8 million dollar option. We could probably do a 6 million dollar per year deal. But then he went and had the best year of his career. He's made himself a ton of money and we can't afford to keep him any more. Not without letting Gortat walk, which we can't do. Plus it just makes sense to beware the guy who suddenly looks awesome in a contract year.

I don't think three is an option either. We'll have to pay luxury tax to keep everyone because Ariza is going to cost a lot of money.

And four would just be a total boondoggle.

Ariza held up his end of the deal. He played so well we want to keep him for ourselves. If we can get a trade, we have to do it. Letting him walk for nothing is tough to swallow.

I don't even compare the Rockets to the Seahawks. The Seahawks talk trash but I actually kinda enjoy it, I don't really consider them to be as hateable.

The Rockets though...ugh. Dwight Howard, James Harden, are there two guys in the league whos faces are more punchable? Seriously.

Let's not forget the push in the back on Seraphin's putback, Beal's 3pt shot at the end of one of the quarters (can't remember which), Howard's non-goaltend on Nene........normally I'd rant about this being why we probably won't advance past the 1st round, but no. Our guys did a great job of overcoming the bad calls and battling back to regain the lead. On top of all the others, 3 bad calls in the final seconds of a single-score game is more than anyone should be expected to overcome.

• Like 2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/02/13/wizards-upset-over-controversial-finish-vs-rockets/

Wizards upset over controversial finish vs. Rockets

Instead, Ariza fouled out on a dead-ball call, giving Houston a free throw and the ball after the Wizards exerted tremendous energy to rally from a 19-point deficit to take a lead in roughly 15 minutes. One player shouted, “Man, [expletive] the NBA, sometimes.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Dont tell me Porter has no value. No rookie comes in and dominates unless they are a phenom. You have to play them for them to learn the ropes.

You can't do number one. If you trade Webster, presumably you're getting a roughly equal salary back so you're not saving money from it unless it's an unbalanced deal. So you'd still have the same issue trying to extend Ariza in the summer--we can't afford him. At one point, Ariza was a full MLE type guy. Shoot, going into the year, he probably wasn't even that. He would have been crazy to turn down the 7.8 million dollar option. We could probably do a 6 million dollar per year deal. But then he went and had the best year of his career. He's made himself a ton of money and we can't afford to keep him any more. Not without letting Gortat walk, which we can't do. Plus it just makes sense to beware the guy who suddenly looks awesome in a contract year.

I don't think three is an option either. We'll have to pay luxury tax to keep everyone because Ariza is going to cost a lot of money.

And four would just be a total boondoggle.

Ariza held up his end of the deal. He played so well we want to keep him for ourselves. If we can get a trade, we have to do it. Letting him walk for nothing is tough to swallow.

Tantalizing spot we're in here. Trevor is becoming "that guy" who just raises the entire level of this team. 

Option 1. I'd rather go with this option and just take the loss on Webster, even though I like the guy. Ariza is too good and I'd like to think he'd want to stay because the team is getting better.

Option 2. Terrified to trade Ariza because the truth is, I don't see us getting proper value on Otto. I just have this brick in my gut that says Porter takes up to 2 more seasons to really gel. (And honestly I don't think he ever will.- OPINION!- but I feel snakebitten on that pick.)

Option 3. Not an option because we'll need to supplement other positions at some point so I totally get it.

Option 4. I'm willing to waste an entire year of suck to ensure no further years of suck. Maybe he blows up somewhere else but at least Ariza will be blowing up here.

Now I do NOT have the GM chops that some of you guys have amassed over the years, so be aware (and I'm sure you already are :) ) that I'm speaking from the selfish mind of a pure fan. I just think Trevor Ariza is that good. Keep him at any cost. Guys like Martell and/or Otto are tough to lose but won't make or break us as a franchise and neither can give us what Trevor does night-in and night-out. Dude is a solid starter with borderline all-star possibilities as long as he's in DC. His role here should keep him feeling loved and his defense/3 point prowess are irreplaceable.