Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That dunk was nasty. And the fact that he made it on the first try made it even more impressive....

With that being said, they need to scrap this team dunk concept IMMEDIATELY! So weak.

I liked it.  I thought that dunk where Ross passed it to Wall who bounced it off the shotclock for George was awesome.

But they need to make it a two on two.  Three's a crowd.  If you did two on two you would get real teamwork and that would be awesome.

Imagine Wall teaming up with LeBron or George and going up against Blake Griffin and Russell Westbrook.

John really helped himself get some name recognition and attention this year. Win the slam dunk contest and will be in his first allstar game.

America, meet John Wall.

yup. And how great would it be if Beal builds on his showing tonight by making his first All Star team next year AND wins the 3 point contest as well?

I feel like they should have done one more round between the final three to determine the winner, but I don't think the league planned on it being a sweep. They probably thought it would be closer between the East and West and you'd be left with just one person on one team at the end who would end up being the champ anyway.

Back to Wall...sick dunk. He and Beal both did great tonight. If Beal could have flip flopped his first and second rounds he would have won. Think he ran out of gas at the end but still put up a good score, Bellinelli was just incredible.

The Wizards just put the rest of the league on notice. Come join these two young superstars and lets go win a ring.

yup. And how great would it be if Beal builds on his showing tonight by making his first All Star team next year AND wins the 3 point contest as well?

Beal should have been an All-Star this year. His #s among East SGs are as good if not better than anyone's, but most fans are idiots. I mean Joe Johnson? LOL the same Joe Johnson who couldn't even muster up the energy to finish five racks at the 3 point contest. Or Dwayne Wade who's played like 20% of his team's minutes.

But im happy for John and Brad tonight. Said it in the NBA thread, but ill take any kind of Championship in DC i can get.

as me and few others have noted, I'm just happy for the attention and recognition. Maybe now Sportscenter will spend more than 15 seconds on our highlights in the last ten minutes of their broadcast.

• Like 1

:lol:   :D

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/434912896951152640/photo/1

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67757058/john-wall-making-nba-all-star-game-debut

MAKING HIS POINT

Generally speaking, the matriculation of a franchise player into his first All-Star Game is treated as an exultant, organization-empowering moment. It's a time for talking heads to spit out laudatory words with panoramic implications, urgently sculpting the game into something even loftier than the already significant milestone it is. The event isn't allowed to exist on its own: It has to be the first of many or a coronation, maybe even a turning point for Team X. Rarely does anything go undersold. Granted, it's probably expecting too much for the weekend that gave us a man dunking over a car to the tune of a gospel choir to do subtle, but that doesn't make the unerring shrillness any less tiresome.

So it comes as a mild surprise that relatively little has been made of John Wall's inaugural appearance at the NBA's midseason spectacular. There's some of the typical unbridled enthusiasm, sure, but there's also a toe-tapping impatience with the whole thing, a sense that, at age 23, Wall is somehow behind schedule.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/nba-all-star-game-wizards-john-wall-playing-with-heavy-heart-because-of-his-ailing-mother/2014/02/15/420d4a3a-9679-11e3-ae45-458927ccedb6_story.html

NBA All-Star Game: Wizards’ John Wall playing with heavy heart because of his ailing mother

NEW ORLEANS — On the eve of his greatest career triumph, Washington Wizards guard John Wall also must confront one of his greatest fears.

Wall can’t completely revel in his first NBA all-star game appearance because his mother, Frances Pulley, has been hospitalized with fluid buildup in her lungs that kept her from traveling to be with her son on his special weekend.

Wall sent a text message to wish Pulley well on Valentine’s Day and went about fulfillinghis professional obligations for the Wizards and the NBA without publicly displaying the slightest bit of angst. But behind the smiles, Wall said there also is pain.

“I’m dealing with a lot of stuff, but she wants me to enjoy myself. She wants me to be happy,” Wall said before practice at the New Orleans Convention Center. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall was never given anything.  He wasn't anointed before he earned it like Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, etc.  If anything he's STILL underrated.  And I'm glad it's played out the way it has.  I bet anything he wins a championship and those guys never do, unless they join him (Love).

John is the best athlete in DC BTW.  Maybe not the best player, but he's the most athletic pro athlete in DC.  Bryce and RGIII are close but they can't do what Wall does.  And also, they aren't as good at their game as Wall is at his.

It looks like he had to double catch the ball a little bit.  That was an awesome dunk.

I feel like these guys underutilize the reverse dunk.  Everyone always goes for 360s or windmills or they try and dunk from as far away as they can.  Reverse dunk is not a power dunk.  But when you see someone pull it off you're like damn!  Like when that guy from Memphis dunked on Booker.

In Wall's interview he said that was the second time he ever tried that dunk.  He said someone sent him a link with 27 dunks that have never been tried before and then he tried that dunk for the first time on Thursday and made it.  The second attempt was last night in the contest.  That's awesome.

Steve McQueen wills his King of Cool crown to John Wall.

There's a thread on RealGM asking if you'd rather have prime Gil or current Wall.

There is a whole lot of Gil romanticizing and whitewashing going on in it.  But it's an interesting question nonethless.

To me, handicapping Gil by comparing him in his prime to a Wall whose still three or four years from his prime pretty much tells you all you need to know.  I'd rather have Wall than Gil straight up.  He's not the scorer Gil was.  But I think he does far more to make his team better than Gil did.

There's a thread on RealGM asking if you'd rather have prime Gil or current Wall.

There is a whole lot of Gil romanticizing and whitewashing going on in it. But it's an interesting question nonethless.

To me, handicapping Gil by comparing him in his prime to a Wall whose still three or four years from his prime pretty much tells you all you need to know. I'd rather have Wall than Gil straight up. He's not the scorer Gil was. But I think he does far more to make his team better than Gil did.

I'd rather have Gil than Beal. Wall looks like a better all around player then Arenas to me. I think Wall is behind in his development because of the wasted year in 2011-12 when he decided not to shoot at all.

I'd rather have Gil than Beal. Wall looks like a better all around player then Arenas to me. I think Wall is behind in his development because of the wasted year in 2011-12 when he decided not to shoot at all.

And he got the stress injury.  Last year would have been his breakout season if not for that.

But I think if he is healthy last season, Wall plays his way into the mid max instead of the mini max.  We saved money on his deal because of that injury.

Gil is a lot better than 20 year old Beal, but Beal is a very long way away from being as good as he's going to get.  When Beal is 25 or 26, he's going to be better than Gil was.  Potential to average mid 20s scoring but within the scheme of a decent offense that doesn't have guys gunning and playing on an island like Eddie Jordan's.  Beal will shoot and score like Gil did without dominating the ball like Gil did.  And Beal has the potential to be a world's better defender than Gil was.  Gil didn't even compete on that side of the ball.  He was an atrocious defender his entire career.  I'll take 25 year old Beal over 25 year old Gil.  Especially to play with Wall.

• Like 2