Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We could potentially get Beal cheaper if we locked him up this year instead of waiting for next year, but on the other hand if we commit big money to him and he gets hurt again, we look stupid. I mean we're still basically paying for potential, other then two outstanding playoff runs he's been mostly "meh". I do expect big things from him this year though.

Kind of expected it. Paul Pierce was so likable here, but he is joining a very good team and he gets to play with Doc again.

But again Porter should be ready.

I want Belinelli even more now. I don't know maybe Aaron brooks as a ball handler and scoring thread....

Isn't Porter due for his third year leap? I'm actually excited to see what he'll do with a lot of playing time. He's really good at cutting without the ball and getting easy baskets and he's a huge defensive upgrade over Pierce. I expect him to be better late than early if he can stay healthy.

I just wish he could dribble the damn ball. Maybe he will be able to this season.

I'm on board for Belli. Still is right, we really need shooters now.

Isn't Porter due for his third year leap? I'm actually excited to see what he'll do with a lot of playing time. He's really good at cutting without the ball and getting easy baskets and he's a huge defensive upgrade over Pierce. I expect him to be better late than early if he can stay healthy.

I just wish he could dribble the damn ball. Maybe he will be able to this season.

I'm excited to see Porter start too. Which means he'll probably get injured during the summer.

Pierce's on court contributions aren't really why we'll miss him. Truth be told (no pun intended), Otto will probably out produce him this season. It's the leadership we'll miss. He gave our team a bad boys identity. Losing that will be bad.

I'd sign Beal to a 4 year 60 million dollar extension today. The money flying around now is crazy.

Guess we have to suck it up for one more year until we can make a run at Durant.

How do other teams always have cap room and we don't? How is Cleveland able to sign all those huge contracts?

Bird Rights. They are keeping their own draft picks and traded players. Their roster is going to be monstrously expensive, waaaaaay over the cap. But they don't need to go outside last year's roster to build a contender. They traded for everyone they needed and thus got their Bird Rights.

Guess we have to suck it up for one more year until we can make a run at Durant.

How do other teams always have cap room and we don't? How is Cleveland able to sign all those huge contracts?

I really don't get the nba salary cap at all. First Miami signs James, Wade and Bosh to huge deals and now James Love and the Irvin guy have massive contracts. I thought the cap was supposed to prevent this nonsense and spread talent around the league?

These super teams are why I barely follow the NBA anymore.

David AldridgeVerified account
‏@daldridgetnt
In case you're wondering: Wizards would love David West but know MLE won't be enough unless market dries up--as it did on Pierce last yr.

seems like more of the same of what we already have

Edited by StillUnknown

Wizards were far far more certain about Pierce staying than Ariza. 0-for-2 #WarriorsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

Just told that Rodney Stuckey, who i reported earlier as a player of interest, "very much a possibility" #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

#Wizards certainly moving 2 other options w Pierce going back 2 Cali, but I can assure you Carlos Boozer is not 1 of them. #KeepCalmCarryOn

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

It was incredibly obvious that Pierce was going back home.  Thanks for the memories Truth even if it was only for one year.  He's a great guy and he's earned the right to go play in front of friends and family.  Good luck Paul!

Bummed about Paul Pierce but it was a good one year deal and I'll be rooting for him in LA.  More bummed about what the Wiz are seemingly doing which is trying to stay afloat in a weak Eastern Conference and hope for Durant next summer which I think is a big mistake for two reasons:

1:  Don't put your eggs in one basket.  

2:  I don't trust the foot injury.  I don't care what anyone says, it sounds like something that could linger.  The NBA history of big men with oddball fractures is long.  Bill Walton comes to mind immediately.  I just don't trust anyone in the NBA with foot/knee fractures.  Look at Greg Oden, too.

Reading up on Durant's specific foot injury on Wikipedia:

For several reasons, a Jones fracture may not unite. The diaphyseal bone (zone II), where the fracture occurs, is an area of potentially poor blood supply, existing in a watershed area between two blood supplies. This may compromise healing. In addition, there are various tendons, including the peroneus brevis and fibularis tertius, and two small muscles attached to the bone. These may pull the fracture apart and prevent healing.

I just don't think it's a good idea.  The Wiz should be concentrating on building a deep, well rounded team....not waiting to bet the farm on one guy.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

They aren't exactly betting the farm on one guy though.  A lot of guys just don't want to come here and there's pretty much nothing management can do about that.  Wall, Beal and Porter is one hell of a nucleus if they play the same way they did in the playoffs. But the reality is the franchise has waited this long and one more year to at least see if we can get Durant is more than worth it.