Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/with-pierce-gone-wizards-challenge-is-to-not-lose-ground-while-biding-time/2015/07/02/62aeac0a-20e0-11e5-84d5-eb37ee8eaa61_story.html

Can Wizards prepare for run at Kevin Durant without taking step backward?

Washington has a collection of resources to acquire new players: the mid-level exception ($5.464 million) and biannual exception ($2.139 million) in addition to trade exceptions of $4.625 million and $2.252 million. But they’ll need to wait for some of the league’s big spenders this summer to run out of money and hope there are some quality role players still available at the right price.

The patient approach helped the Wizards land Pierce a year ago. This time, there probably won’t be a player waiting who is as accomplished as Pierce. But there are intriguing players who fit the Wizards’ system. In particular, Rodney Stuckey makes sense, but can the Wizards bring in Stuckey and find a quality big man who can shoot and space the floor? It’ll be tough, and it makes re-signing Drew Gooden III that much more important.

The Wizards also will need to follow up on their interest of playing more of the faster, wide-open, free-flowing style they employed against Toronto and Atlanta in the playoffs. Find more shooters and athletes and maximize the talents of Wall, an all-star who collapses defenses with regularity and combines incredible physical ability with excellent playmaking instincts.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

@MarcStein - ESPN sources say that the Washington Wizards are closing in on a trade for Milwaukee's Jared Dudley. On course to be completed July 9

On the last day before free agency began, Dudley opted into the final year of his contract at $4.25 million this coming season. Wizards ...

Wizards obviously have a huge void on the wing and in terms of vet leadership now after Paul Pierce's decision to go home and sign w/Clips

Wizards are expected to take Dudley's contract into a trade exception so it only costs them a future second-round pick to bring Dudley in

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Man Kornheiser is really ripping into this Oubre kid good

What the hell has he done to be "ripped"?

Let the kid **** up once or twice before ripping him. Now they will be ripping him for every minor thing he does or says. I swear I hate the 97% of the media.

• Like 1

DudlCI8dwCEVEAAI344.jpg

Dudley provides versatility, stretch-4, and, most importantly, $$ flexibility. He's due $4.25 million and will be off the books next summer

Being off the books next year is huge because -- let's say it together mi gente -- it's all about next summer.

I like the trade and note that Ernie/Ted won't be worrying about taking heat for selling a 2nd round pick for a long time.  This will hopefully keep Randy from trying to play Otto at the 4, something the delusional fans over at bullets forever think is a great idea.  I will say this though, he's a small ball "stretch 4" and doesn't really have the size or rebounding production to be a true PF. 

Not sexy, but Dudley is a solid perimeter shooter that can fill in Pierce's production at the wing. Probably come off the bench at the three and play either forward spot in small line ups. I like the deal. Solid player on a cheap contract at we acquired for nothing.

And really, can you ever have too many shooters?  No.  No you cannot. 

• Like 2

Someone just told me Dudley is also another body to put on LeBron. East contenders have to think that way. They could use another 1 too.

Funny how the Wizards replaced someone who loves Doc Rivers with someone who doesn't exactly love Doc Rivers.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah we probably could use another body to throw at LeBron. But I don't think we're going to find one. Oubre can be one eventually, but there is no way you play him in a playoff series. Especially if it's an ECF. Not unless he is way further along than everybody except Kelly Oubre expects.

Let the kid **** up once or twice before ripping him. Now they will be ripping him for every minor thing he does or says. I swear I hate the 97% of the media.

It's Kornheiser....he rips everyone by a standard that he doesn't even attempt to live up to. Frankly, I'm surprised he's actually in studio and not on vacation. 

Love the Dudley trade.  He'll help immensely w/ spacing. 

Saw him up close and personal in college while he was at BC (playing St. John's).  He's come a long way.  Glad he's here, and he'll definitely help lessen the blow of losing Pierce. 

He dresses weird and is happy to let everyone know that he's irrationally confident.  Now ask yourself "how will that play with the old curmudgeon crowd?"  There's your answer.  If the kid plays well at all, the old guys will love him.  If he doesn't they'll all say "we knew it from the start." 

• Like 1

He dresses weird and is happy to let everyone know that he's irrationally confident.  Now ask yourself "how will that play with the old curmudgeon crowd?"  There's your answer.  If the kid plays well at all, the old guys will love him.  If he doesn't they'll all say "we knew it from the start." 

Its maddening because its so damn transparent. He'll be labeled a problem for every tiny transgression.

"Kelly Oubre didn't say "bless you" to a person after they sneezed, the knuckleheads are back for the Wizards."

I'm not sold on the pick, primarily because I don't trust us to properly develop him, but I'm rooting for him to succeed and never lose the confidence.