Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd still be interested in David West for the MLE, but word is he's looking at SA and GS. We can't match a pitch based on chance to win.

And I think signing him necessitates a Nene trade that is very unlikely.

Trading for Jeff Green is somewhat interesting too. Expiring deal. Plays outlandishly well in the VC. Another big bodied forward to soak up fouls guarding LeBron.

If he's serious about wanting to win a title he'll go to SA but he has to know that doing so runs the risk of not getting many, if any, minutes.  With the Wizards he won't make the finals but he'll play a lot more. 

How can you just say we won't make the finals? I'm not saying to expect it but to say we won't is very close minded. 

We can beat the Bulls and Cavs, the two tougher teams in the east. 

Believe it or not we actually have a good team with a solid bet to be better because of natural progression of young players.

How can you just say we won't make the finals? I'm not saying to expect it but to say we won't is very close minded. 

We can beat the Bulls and Cavs, the two tougher teams in the east. 

Believe it or not we actually have a good team with a solid bet to be better because of natural progression of young players.

The Cavs are on an entirely different level than our beloved Wizards right now.  I wish it weren't true but they are. 

I agree with you that we have a good team here but I think the Cavs have next years championship team. 

The Cavs are on an entirely different level than our beloved Wizards right now.  I wish it weren't true but they are. 

I agree with you that we have a good team here but I think the Cavs have next years championship team.

A lot can happen between now and next June. I think that we've clearly positioned ourselves as the second team in what will probably be a two team conference again. That's a good place to be in case Cleveland stumbles. That's always going to be a possibility given how fragile Irving and Love have been, and how many minutes LeBron has logged the past 13 years.

A little early to be calling the Cavs 2016 Champions already. I'm sure no one had the Warriors pegged as the new champions this time last year. 

NBA is the one sport where having the best player in the game pretty much assures you a seat at the table.

• Like 1

Kind of makes me want Trevor Booker back.  It's not just that teams need forwards that can shoot, they need forwards that can cover shooters.  Trevor was strong enough to defend a true PF like Blake Griffin well enough but could still run around.  Compare that to Seraphin or Nene.  Both better low post defenders but neither can really cover anyone with three point range. 

Nene slides his feet well.  Shockingly quick for a seven foot ox.  He's one of the best defensive PFs in the league when healthy, and has to be one of the best at guarding pick and rolls among the true seven footers of the league.

He's still a good and useful player.  I just don't think he's that motivated any more.  He's had one foot in the door of retirement for the past year and a half or so.  And his rebounding is a problem.

I'm reading that we're trying to dump Nene for cap space and that Dallas is a potential landing spot.  I'm for moving Nene, but to hopefully bring back something we can actually use.  Not really sure how the cap space benefits us this season.  Maybe as a TPE to bring in West?

West is better than Nene though.  I think Nene is pretty much done, and I think he might have retired already if he wasn't making so much money.

I see West has being an upgrade on the court and in the locker room.  Nene's attitude bothers me.  He complains about playing center and he constantly barks at the refs and pisses them off so we never get any friggin calls.  I don't think he's taken his reduction in offensive role as well as he could have.  And his body language on the court is just so draining, like everything on the court is such a labor for him.  I don't think he feels good most of the time and it's kind of a drag for everyone.

I do appreciate that he's an enforcer that always has his teammates back in any sort of scrap, and that he scares the players on other teams.  He's part of the bullying identity that this team has when they are at their best.  And he's not a bad player by any means.  He's still a great passer and defensive player that can create his own shot from time to time.  And he's a hellacious, angry finisher that can really change the emotion of a game when he dunks on someone.

I just see West as being an overall upgrade and giving us a spiritual lift in the locker room.

David West is two years older than Nene. What exactly are we trying to do here?

West's game has aged more gracefully than Nene's.

West has a reliable midrange game and can rebound at a decent clip. Good bench guy still.

Nene bricks from mid range and is too heavy and slow to beat players inside the paint. Plus his attitude sucks.  He's served his purpose on this team. We need floor spacing.

Trading Nene was a pipe dream to begin with. You could get a valuable player on a multi year deal for him in the event that another team was looking to clear cap space. However, that doesn't work with our 2016 goals so yeah.... very little chance. At best, it would be a lateral move.