Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Webster is closer to being a rapper than his a productive NBA player

Ouch.  Damn. 

I'd also try and trade Nene and draft picks to Milwaukee for John Henson and OJ Mayo.

I doubt the bucks would go for that.  I'd love to get Mayo though, having a real shooting guard come off the bench that can create a little bit would be nice. 

Biyombo offers very good D and rebounding. Who cares if he is only capable of scoring 7 points a game. He is still 22. 

Hell Dennis Rodman went to the HOF averaging 7.3 points per game

You can't say he isn't productive because he doesn't offer much on the offensive end. If we signed him he would be the best rebounder and probably post defender on the team. And once again he is 22 there is room for improvement.

If he can be had for cheap I think we go for him

Derrick Williams on a cheap 1 year prove it deal to be a stretch 4 off the bench?

Was always very impressed by him whenever we played SAC. Would bring some much needed athleticism to our front court.

Have seen Omri Casspis name one some wishlists as well.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

I guess the team feels too young with Andre Miller gone and Pierce's situation up in the air.  He turns 35 in September. 

Is there any reason why we are not extending Beal on a Max deal right now?  If we extend him now at the max, his contract will be relatively low when the cap goes up substantially in 2016 and 2017.  Will we still have room for Durant in 2016 with Nene gone even with Beal and Wall at their max deals, right?  

I guess maybe they are waiting on deals for mid tier guys like Dunleavy or whomever, but Ernie should get it done with Beal this year, right?  Or do they not think Beal is a max type player?

Is there any reason why we are not extending Beal on a Max deal right now?  If we extend him now at the max, his contract will be relatively low when the cap goes up substantially in 2016 and 2017.  Will we still have room for Durant in 2016 with Nene gone even with Beal and Wall at their max deals, right?  

I guess maybe they are waiting on deals for mid tier guys like Dunleavy or whomever, but Ernie should get it done with Beal this year, right?  Or do they not think Beal is a max type player?

I don't think he's a max deal player right now, might become one might not.  I do think he's already worthy of the percentage of cap he will be taking when it goes up, if given a max deal now.

No lose or win imo to re up early (if he will).  Either he's really good and will be on a decent contract for both sides if that is what he tops out at, or he becomes the super star I expect and we have him cheap.

Not sure how that would play re: KD though and that imo is important.  Imagine the profile of BB in Washington if KD joins a good team...

EDIT: and I think the team will have to be good today and look good for the future from KD's perspective when it comes to decision time next off season.  Give him a decent chance of bringing a championship to his home town that he loves, be hard to say no.

Edited by Pedro

A max deal is determined by percentage of the overall cap.  And that cap number in the first year of the contract is what determines what the number is going to be.  Signing Beal to a max deal right now doesn't save us money.  He still has a year left on his current deal, so the max extension wouldn't kick in until 2016 and thus it would have the cap increase built into it.  The only way to save money with a long term deal is if Beal signs a sub max contract with a fixed dollar amount instead of being based on a percentage of the cap.

His cap hold next summer is set at just over 11 million, which is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than a max deal will be.  That'd be like 20 million against our cap.  And that would be a serious hindrance to pursuing Durant.  

Obviously, it makes no sense to give Beal a max deal this summer, or next summer before Durant signs his next extension.  He'll be an RFA, there is no need to lock him up early.  Worst case scenario: we have to match another team's max offer.  Plus he might get hurt or might not improve and thus not be worth a max deal.  His level of play to date doesn't currently warrant a max deal.  So if Beal signs an extension this summer, then I expect it to be a very team friendly deal that's a big discount from a max deal.  Something like 14 to 15 million a year, with the reason he's signing it being security against future injury.

Wizards offered Paul Pierce 2-year deal paying $6.6M next season w/team option for 2nd season, source said. Helps in KDurant chase next year

Why would he accept a team option on the second year?  Why wouldn't he just demand a one year deal?  Like we would turn that down...

I'd approach Beal about a 15-16 million dollar per year deal now and if he takes it great, if not just take a wait an see approach

That makes sense.  Thanks for the input guys.  After last summer I actually have hope that Ernie will make a couple decent deals this summer. Not everyone can sign with Cleveland or San Antonio.

Resigning Pierce would be a good start.